Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota chief fears GM, Ford demise

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-05, 06:29 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, the UAW is not blameless in the area of wages and benefits, but let's be fair.............you can't blame auto workers if the managers, engineers, and bean-counters give them junk parts to assemble the cars with. And it doesn't matter how well you work....or goof off.....if you have lousy parts. You can match up two flimsy, cheap pieces of plastic with a modern laser-sighting device that will give you a gap SO thin you couldn't stick a piece of paper through it, but WHAT do you STILL end up with? Correct...two well-fitted flimsy pieces of plastic.

Just something funny if you ever get to it, go walk through a Big 3 plant, then go walk through a Toyota or Honda plant. Everytime I talk to a mfg or application engineer who has, it's always the same thing.... One place you can eat maple walnut ice cream off the floor and see pride, the other you want to wash your hands after you get done running away from the people.
Old 06-09-05, 06:46 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure the workers on the assembly line have their faults but this is a management problem. Why are people complaining about the little man getting $28.00 an hour, that's peanuts compared to the millions in salary, bonuses, and stock options that upper management receive. I bet you could pay 1/5 of all the workers salaries with the salaries of the top three managers at GM. I don't see them cutting their pay.

The little guy don't design cars and order all the cheap crappy plastic to be used in GM's cars. So don't blame them for all of GM's problems. Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of unions at all but it's this same management team that signed the stupid contracts.

Back in 1990 GM had 228,000 hourly employees and 58,000 salary employees. Today they have 111,000 (not counting the -25,000) and 44,000 salary employees. Something is wrong with that picture.

When will they realize that people want cars that look good inside and out without making a trip a week to the dealership or a local shop to have the car repaired. I want the choice of keeping my car 10 years instead of being force to buy one every 4 years because it's falling apart.

As far as Toyota increasing their prices to help GM, I think that's a bunch of bull. Someone over there knows that people will buy their cars over GM's reguardless of a small increase therefore you publicize that you will only be increasing the price of Toyota/Lexus vehicles for GM's sake. What a load of crap! Toyota just want bigger profits, they just found the perfect excuse to raise prices. How in the hell will raising the price of the Avalon by $300.00 make me go by a Buick. Give me a break. Now they can say what Flip Wilson use to say, "...GM made me do it...".
Old 06-09-05, 07:05 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ktiger
I'm sure the workers on the assembly line have their faults but this is a management problem. Why are people complaining about the little man getting $28.00 an hour, that's peanuts compared to the millions in salary, bonuses, and stock options that upper management receive. I bet you could pay 1/5 of all the workers salaries with the salaries of the top three managers at GM. I don't see them cutting their pay.

The little guy don't design cars and order all the cheap crappy plastic to be used in GM's cars. So don't blame them for all of GM's problems. Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of unions at all but it's this same management team that signed the stupid contracts.

Back in 1990 GM had 228,000 hourly employees and 58,000 salary employees. Today they have 111,000 (not counting the -25,000) and 44,000 salary employees. Something is wrong with that picture.

When will they realize that people want cars that look good inside and out without making a trip a week to the dealership or a local shop to have the car repaired. I want the choice of keeping my car 10 years instead of being force to buy one every 4 years because it's falling apart.

As far as Toyota increasing their prices to help GM, I think that's a bunch of bull. Someone over there knows that people will buy their cars over GM's reguardless of a small increase therefore you publicize that you will only be increasing the price of Toyota/Lexus vehicles for GM's sake. What a load of crap! Toyota just want bigger profits, they just found the perfect excuse to raise prices. How in the hell will raising the price of the Avalon by $300.00 make me go by a Buick. Give me a break. Now they can say what Flip Wilson use to say, "...GM made me do it...".
They can cut the salary people too... But I never hear about a Sr Buyer getting 16 hours of OT while he slept back in the warehouse.. like i said, I am bitter of hearing these stories all my life..........

You are right, the big 3, with GM leading the way, is way to TOP heavy.... like i said, they have a lot of clean up to do

And why get paid $28 an hour if the job is only worth $12??????????

You have $3 RX's, I soooo feel your pain... not

"Back in 1990 GM had 228,000 hourly employees and 58,000 salary employees. Today they have 111,000 (not counting the -25,000) and 44,000 salary employees. Something is wrong with that picture."

Welcome to 15 years of technology. Which means less and less hourly workers............ This goes for nearly all MFG unless you need manual labor and or cannot get a machine for a reasonable price to assist in your mgf'ing process that saves you $$$$.
Old 06-09-05, 07:10 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

dang toyota is so smart for having such foresight...no wonder their cars dominate! just look at how the big bosses think! imagine the engineers...
Old 06-09-05, 08:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It is not the common GM workers fault and saying most of them sleep on the job and work drunk is making a pretty unfair generalization. There are problems with people sleeping and drinking on the job in all types of jobs. Also paying workers only $12 an hour is not going to solve anything but make these workers not able to support their families and work massive amounts of overtime. Any money saved will go into top management pockets so they can buy more private jets, stay at more 5 star hotels, buy more yachts, buy more million dollar homes etc. Some of the jobs at GM are not $28 an hour jobs but most of those workers do work hard and deserve what they get. Why is their jobs not worth more then $12 an hour yet just because mommy and daddy payed for college and graduate school many of those people somehow are entitled and deserve high paying jobs when most of these jobs have you just sitting at an airconditioned desk and not working nearly as hard as autoworkers. Some of the so called well educated and highest payed people I have met are the most arrogant shady scumbags and will weasal their way to the top no matter how many people they screw over or get fired. What do lawyers do that are so deserving of high income over auto workers.

You used to be able to make a decent living and provide for your family doing jobs that did not require a college education like building cars, working at stores, working at manufacturing plants etc and now these jobs are getting away with paying people $7-$12 an hour where you can not only support a family but with the cost of things today you can't support yourself on those wages. Even entry level college jobs often don't pay anything and it is going to continue to hurt our economy. There are always top level people in these companies that are multi millionares and have no desire to not get a raise or take a cut in pay to help out the real employees.

I worked at a GM plant over the summer and the vast majority of the workers there worked hard and took pride in their work. They complained that they wanted to build cars like Lexus, Honda, Toyota, Porsche etc but were given subpar designs and materials. I did see one lady who did sleep on the job and she was protected by the union and I had to pretty much do her job as well as mine but that was the exception and not the norm. I don't know how things are in Detroit but it is not like that in every American GM plant and things like that happen in all types of plants and jobs even white collar jobs.
Old 06-10-05, 05:27 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
It is not the common GM workers fault and saying most of them sleep on the job and work drunk is making a pretty unfair generalization. There are problems with people sleeping and drinking on the job in all types of jobs. Also paying workers only $12 an hour is not going to solve anything but make these workers not able to support their families and work massive amounts of overtime. Any money saved will go into top management pockets so they can buy more private jets, stay at more 5 star hotels, buy more yachts, buy more million dollar homes etc. Some of the jobs at GM are not $28 an hour jobs but most of those workers do work hard and deserve what they get. Why is their jobs not worth more then $12 an hour yet just because mommy and daddy payed for college and graduate school many of those people somehow are entitled and deserve high paying jobs when most of these jobs have you just sitting at an airconditioned desk and not working nearly as hard as autoworkers. Some of the so called well educated and highest payed people I have met are the most arrogant shady scumbags and will weasal their way to the top no matter how many people they screw over or get fired. What do lawyers do that are so deserving of high income over auto workers.

You used to be able to make a decent living and provide for your family doing jobs that did not require a college education like building cars, working at stores, working at manufacturing plants etc and now these jobs are getting away with paying people $7-$12 an hour where you can not only support a family but with the cost of things today you can't support yourself on those wages. Even entry level college jobs often don't pay anything and it is going to continue to hurt our economy. There are always top level people in these companies that are multi millionares and have no desire to not get a raise or take a cut in pay to help out the real employees.

I worked at a GM plant over the summer and the vast majority of the workers there worked hard and took pride in their work. They complained that they wanted to build cars like Lexus, Honda, Toyota, Porsche etc but were given subpar designs and materials. I did see one lady who did sleep on the job and she was protected by the union and I had to pretty much do her job as well as mine but that was the exception and not the norm. I don't know how things are in Detroit but it is not like that in every American GM plant and things like that happen in all types of plants and jobs even white collar jobs.
Well it is partly their fault,, they keep the UAW around since they like getting over paid and having someone to hide behind............

And sorry, you don't need $22 an hour to drive a hi-lo or to bolt bumpers on. People do temp labor for $10 an hour and work 10 times harder then these people. Ok the 22 an hour isn't so bad, but they end up making 60-70-80k with all the OT, how can you pay someone this much money and expect to get quality cars at a good price out the door........

Yeah that stuff goes on everywhere, someone is always slacking... But when it comes to the plants up here, these are stories people still tell at bbq's and everyone laughs... A quick trend, see how many overseas compaines are building plants in detroit............. yeah do the math, the big 3 won't even build new plants around here since the detroit area auto worker has been shaped into someone you don't want working for you.
Old 06-10-05, 05:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Toyota to raise vehicle prices in the U.S. in October

06/10/2005

The Asahi Shimbun

Toyota Motor Corp. plans to raise the prices on most of its models in the United States to help its struggling rivals in Detroit and to prevent trade friction from erupting, company sources said.

The price hikes of 2 percent to 3 percent will likely start in October, they said.

The automaker will increase delivery costs for sales companies and reduce incentives, which will force the retailers to make up the difference with bigger price tags, the source said.

In 2004, Toyota posted record profits and sold 2.29 million vehicles in North America, an increase of 10.6 percent from the previous year.

But the fortunes of the so-called Big 3 U.S. automakers went the other way. General Motors Corp. recently announced it would cut 25,000 jobs by 2008 and has expressed its intention to substantially raise its auto prices.

Concerned that Toyota's success in the United States could be viewed as coming at the expense of U.S. automakers, Toyota Chairman Hiroshi Okuda repeatedly said Toyota would need to adjust prices.

He also wants to stave off any potential trade friction that could lead to the "Japan bashing" seen in the United States in the 1980s and 1990s, the sources said.

In the U.S. auto industry, vehicle prices usually change when new models are offered.

But Toyota generally raises prices only as a result of foreign exchange fluctuations or when equipment is added to its cars.

Under the changes in October, the Camry, Toyota's best-selling midsized sedan in the United States, will cost several hundred dollars more than its current price of around $20,000 (2.2 million yen), the sources said.

Toyota officials said they have no immediate plans to significantly revise auto prices in Japan.(

source : asahi.com
Old 06-10-05, 06:09 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Price remarks by Toyota chief could be illegal

By James R. Healey, USA TODAY

For the second time in about two weeks, the chairman of Toyota Motor in Japan said the automaker is likely to raise U.S. prices and give struggling Detroit car companies room to raise theirs — a comment U.S. antitrust experts say is ill-advised and borders on illegal.

Inviting competitors to match your price increases can be illegal "price signaling," says lawyer Jim Weiss, former head of an antitrust unit at the Justice Department and now in private practice at a law firm specializing in antitrust.

If rivals don't follow, no violation. "But it invites the government to look into what you're doing. When the government looks into what you're doing, they frequently find something, even if it's not what they intended," he says.

Toyota Chairman Hiroshi Okuda, speaking in Osaka, Japan, made his most recent price comment after General Motors announced Tuesday that it will close plants and cut 25,000 jobs by 2008 to get its North American auto operations in the black. GM lost $1.3 billion in North America the first quarter.

GM had no comment on Okuda's remarks, which were reported by Japan's Kyodo News and published on U.S. newswires.

Mike Michels, spokesman for Toyota Motor Sales, the automaker's main U.S. unit, says prices might rise because of higher costs or additional features, but "There're not going to be any arbitrary price increases. That's not how we do pricing. I don't think Chairman Okuda meant it that way."

Okuda's reasoning both times, according to wire reports, has been that U.S. automakers can improve earnings if they charge higher prices. He said he's afraid that financial trouble among Detroit car companies will be blamed on tough competition from Japan-based automakers, creating an anti-Japan backlash that could hurt sales.

Toyota is the biggest Japanese brand in the USA. It has 13.3% of the U.S. market through May. It is just 0.7 percentage points, or 48,658 sales, behind No. 3 DaimlerChrysler, according to Autodata.

His most recent price remarks came at a press conference in which Okuda was speaking as chairman of the influential Japan Business Federation.

Antitrust lawyers say the Justice Department is likely to take note of the comments and watch for unusual moves in Detroit automakers' pricing.

Okuda's comments might have the opposite result. Antitrust lawyers say it's possible that Detroit car companies might temporarily skip planned price increases on models that compete directly with Toyota models to prove they are not colluding with Toyota in a price-fixing scheme.
Old 06-10-05, 06:16 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

I think this is one of the classiest backhanded comments I've read in a while...Here, since you guys can't run your own business....we're gonna raise our prices to help you since you uhh...suck. <----Folks,. sarcasm with a bit of truth here.
Old 06-10-05, 07:07 AM
Milla...

Hahaha remember this is all business and about making money, no one cares about anyone called a competitor. Don't believe the hype. Toyota is about to make a killing and seal the number one spot by the cloak of sentiment, Okuda might as well send GM a thank you card..
Old 06-10-05, 07:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ktiger
Why are people complaining about the little man getting $28.00 an hour,
I agree. I make a LOT more than that myself, even not counting my investments, partly because my work is complex and demanding, but even then I am not considered particularly rich for the area of the country and the county I live in. The average cost of a new home in Fairfax County, VA where I live (one of the richest counties in the nation) is now close to $500,000 and the per capita income is well over $100,000 a year. At $28 an hour you could barely pay the mortgage...not to mention the many other expenses and taxes here.
Old 06-10-05, 08:45 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree. I make a LOT more than that myself, even not counting my investments, partly because my work is complex and demanding, but even then I am not considered particularly rich for the area of the country and the county I live in. The average cost of a new home in Fairfax County, VA where I live (one of the richest counties in the nation) is now close to $500,000 and the per capita income is well over $100,000 a year. At $28 an hour you could barely pay the mortgage...not to mention the many other expenses and taxes here.

$28 an hour with a little OT is $60,000. Not sure where you guys come from but being in recruiting, I see people with 1-2 degrees not making this.... So pay a guy 60k for unskilled labor?

People making $28/hr shouldn't be in 500k homes.... Live within your means and minus CA or NY, for most parts, 60k is a "decent" living if you’re not an idiot and dig yourself into debt.

My view if you cannot get enough education to get a job that supports you and your family, then A. You can go back to school and better yourself or B. Your wife can work...........

Sorry not everyone will live a "comfy" life, plain and simple. and it's not a company’s problem to make sure they pay them enough to live the lifestyle you "want", you should get paid for what the job is worth!

Truth, how many people live check to check regardless of their income? I know just as many people making 100k just getting by as those who make 50k.

You are in control of your own life, where you work, how you spend your money, if you choose to go to school or not. This job pays $15 an hour, if that isn't enough for you, then in this country called America, you have OPTIONS.
Old 06-10-05, 09:04 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by jpa2400
$28 an hour with a little OT is $60,000. Not sure where you guys come from but being in recruiting, I see people with 1-2 degrees not making this.... So pay a guy 60k for unskilled labor?

People making $28/hr shouldn't be in 500k homes.... Live within your means and minus CA or NY, for most parts, 60k is a "decent" living if you’re not an idiot and dig yourself into debt.

My view if you cannot get enough education to get a job that supports you and your family, then A. You can go back to school and better yourself or B. Your wife can work...........

Sorry not everyone will live a "comfy" life, plain and simple. and it's not a company’s problem to make sure they pay them enough to live the lifestyle you "want", you should get paid for what the job is worth!

Truth, how many people live check to check regardless of their income? I know just as many people making 100k just getting by as those who make 50k.

You are in control of your own life, where you work, how you spend your money, if you choose to go to school or not. This job pays $15 an hour, if that isn't enough for you, then in this country called America, you have OPTIONS.

Hot dog I couldn't have said that any better..
Can I add C to your option?
If your fortunate you can have handed down to you a successful business. I have no college degrees whats so ever just a Deploma oh and a few community college classes on specifics thats it. We all have choices the future is ours to make even if you never went to a four year college I didn't and neither did my parants and they both are very wealthy. People have more control over their lives they themselves even know, its just that depending on the road you chose it may take more work to get to where you want to go. Let me stop before I turn this into defferent thread because its not my intention.
Old 06-10-05, 12:13 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't mean to bring the president into this but he needs to get his **** in this situation. How can ANYONE ignore the fact that Americas 2 largest companies are STRUGGLING and have so for years now. Only Chrysler currently is doing well and guess what, that **** is owned by Germans.

I did't live when JFK and co. were in office but in tons of reading and watching documentaries, he was like WE WILL NOT LOSE TO THE RUSSIANS!!! WE WILL BE THE SPACE LEADERS!!!

It may not have been the best thing to do with money but damnit it helped bring a country TOGETHER and we had a common goal and supported those in the space program trying to make American #1.

Today, the problem is much more REAL. The Space thing was much so about "ego" .This auto thing is about AMERICANS. Bush and co. need to talk to GM and Ford and say "WAKE THE FOCK UP". AMERICA IS A LEADER, NOT A FOLLOWER!!!!

I am AMERICAN, I would love to rock an American car with pride. I am willing to forgive the ABSOLUTE CRAP my family was sold by those SOBs in the 80s and 90s. But give me a good ARGUEMENT!!!

Outside the Vette and Caddy (and I say that loosly), the Ford GT is out my price range, what the HELL is there to buy AMerican that is not one of the best?

Chrysler has got the PICTURE. Give em American big body styling, RWD and V-8s. I see so many 300Cs and Magnums, stock or with rims. And to people, its DESIRABLE. Not some rebate laden sedan/car. It started with the SRT-4, WHY SHOULD IMPORTS BE THE ONLY HIGH PERFORMANCE COMPACTS??? That is why I like the SRT-4, its shows WE CAN COMPETE!!!
I hate to nitpick but actually Wal-mart is the worlds largest and americas largest company at roughly 1.5 million employees.

Anyways I dont think wages and or healthcare is the problem, I dont see why this people are deserving less then those that have a white collar job, seeing how I am young, I have a so called blue collar job, very physical, overnite, but it pays the bills, the amount of work I have to do would be downright unberable for even some posters here, Id probably have fun watching a few people trying to make it through the first nite. But at least in the retail world is one of the few places where a blue collar worker can go up and with commission with a possition as a store manager or above make considerably more then your average lawyer or doctor... about 2 to 3 times more just at the store manager level. Funny since years ago that guy started in the sales floor. Now he is bringing 300,000k a year..

Last edited by Inabj2; 06-10-05 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-10-05, 12:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
I hate to nitpick but actually Wal-mart is the worlds largest and americas largest company at roughly 1.5 million employees.
We're talking about the Automotive industry, not retail sales. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Toyota chief fears GM, Ford demise