Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Good Deal? Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-05, 09:25 AM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good Deal? Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4

Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 - $7500

This is a loaded white on black leather VR-4 with only 89K miles. Strong motor with a slight lifter tick. Very good body with after market 17" Enkei wheels on FZ4 Toyo tires (good tread). No after market body or engine mods. All original. Sorry to say, does not run solid. Some turbo hesitation, rumbling sound under hard acceleration. Was fine until someone took it on an unusually hard test drive. Has been serviced regularly, not driven hard (except the aforementioned event), was taken to Texas (5200 miles round trip) last October without incident and ran beautifully. Since the engine is apporoaching 90K, the timing belt will need to be replaced. This is an interference engine which will undergo severe damage should the timing belt break. Please Email with questions. I will send pics.
I am interested. Anyone know what 'this probl*** could be and how much for repair? I offered him 5k for it.

Old 06-08-05, 10:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't recommend the VR4 as a used car. The VR4.......and its brother, the Dodge Stealth Turbo...... was one of the most complex vehicles(especially for its time) ever designed for street use. It had twin turbos, all-wheel-drive, a 4-wheel steering system, even a switch-operated device that changed the sound of the exhaust tone....plus all the usual goodies that high-line Japanese sports cars had at that time. It was a rolling technology showcase. These cars, needless to say, are way out of warranty, and any needed repairs to this kind of stuff could run some real money....and that assumes that those parts are still available. Also worth mentioning is the typical Mitsubishi hablt of upper-block engine problems as the miles build up...stuff like valve seals, gaskets, oil leaks, etc.....

89K miles......that is just about the time (80-90K on average) that Mitsubishi engines start to have the kinds of problems I just described.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-08-05 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-08-05, 11:39 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

don't know alot about VR-4's but i have a 99 Galant I4 as my daily beater and i bought it brand new, right now i have 275,000 miles on it and still runs strong, its very hard to believe, even mechanics are like wow, same trans, same motor, changed the timing belt 2 times and spark plugs n stuff like 3 times maybe at the most, but i went trhough the brakes like nothing but anyways galant been very good i am amazed myself
Old 06-08-05, 11:58 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not talk about cars in my garage very often on forums but I will say that I am still the owner of VR4 after so many years. I just fell in love with the car and couldn't let it go.

Here is my advice: If car is maintained properly you should not have any major problems at all. All I had on my so far was window motor, EGR flow (2 times) and complete clutch job (high clutch wear is normal on VR4s so don't panic if it happens). I service mine in Mitsu dealership since day 1, even oil changes, and there are only two mechanics that are allowed to touch my car. If the car is not maintained than the big problems can occur.

Problems that might occur anyway are, but not limted to:

High insurance (I pay mine almost $3Gs a year)
Finding a mechanic that actually knows something about it (Don't go to Dodge under any circumstances)
High maintance rate (Plugs, engine flush, filters aprox $700, belt change + everything that goes with it under $2000)
Clutch job (another $700)
Tear and wear inside of the cabin
Tear and wear on body
Fragile tranny (Be careful how you push it because it could cost you $2Gs)
In dash CD might go bad

Since the one you are planing the buy is 1st generation and its over ten years old be careful. Some people say that 1st generation is more problem free but I don't know. If the car is in good condition get it, if not leave it alone because you will end up spending as much money to fix it up. It's a tricky buy.

And one more thing; Don't judge it the way it looks outsied or inside. These cars tear and wear very fast and that is no indication if the engine is properly maintained or not. If the car looks very new I would be suspicious cause there is no way that any 3000GT can look brand new. Mine is 1997 and it stills shows some wear like on side window panels or black color fade outs where back wiper is located. Those are typical on all 3KGTs and they only fixed them for '99 model.

Go to 3si.org for more help
Old 06-08-05, 12:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Salil022
don't know alot about VR-4's but i have a 99 Galant I4 as my daily beater and i bought it brand new, right now i have 275,000 miles on it and still runs strong, its very hard to believe, even mechanics are like wow, same trans, same motor, changed the timing belt 2 times and spark plugs n stuff like 3 times maybe at the most, but i went trhough the brakes like nothing but anyways galant been very good i am amazed myself

A Galant is a bread-and-butter family sedan and much less complex than a VR4...and parts are likely to be a lot cheaper for it too.

Vladi is correct that it is possible to get a good (or at least acceptable) used VR4 but IMO they are still a risky buy. I would not buy one if it were my money....though, agreed, it's a lot of car for only $7500.
Old 06-08-05, 01:18 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i recommed not buying that car or any 3000gt because my girlfriends dad had the vr4 and it was nothing but problems it was major stuff not simple problems
Old 06-08-05, 02:22 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A Galant is a bread-and-butter family sedan and much less complex than a VR4...and parts are likely to be a lot cheaper for it too.

Vladi is correct that it is possible to get a good (or at least acceptable) used VR4 but IMO they are still a risky buy. I would not buy one if it were my money....though, agreed, it's a lot of car for only $7500.
Exactly - Mitsubishi's boosted 3 liter six is in an entirely different ballpark than their 2.4 liter I-4 ...

As for the rumbling sound under hard acceleration - it's probably either the transmission or perhaps a bearing or linkage somewhere in the drivetrain starting to go. Either way - this car will end up costing you WAY more than the asking price even in the short term.

I'd pass it up.

M.
Old 06-08-05, 04:02 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yup. VR4 are among the riskiest buy on the market. And let me tell you, if the car went trough more than one owner the risk is even greater. The best buy is when you know the owner and know the car, but in order to do so you have to hang around with the 3000GT people.
In other words don't look for a bragain deal while buying VR4 cause there are none. Newer VR4s in good shape go for just below or low 20s but that is the 2nd gen.

That's a shame cause VR4 is one hell of a car, heck not a lot of cars can give you that much rush when you launch your car and front wheels lift of the ground, its like whole world is yours.

Last edited by Vladi; 06-08-05 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-08-05, 08:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Vladi
Yup. VR4 are among the riskiest buy on the market. And let me tell you, if the car went trough more than one owner the risk is even greater. The best buy is when you know the owner and know the car, but in order to do so you have to hang around with the 3000GT people.
In other words don't look for a bragain deal while buying VR4 cause there are none. Newer VR4s in good shape go for just below or low 20s but that is the 2nd gen.

That's a shame cause VR4 is one hell of a car, heck not a lot of cars can give you that much rush when you launch your car and front wheels lift of the ground, its like whole world is yours.
We (SELOC) hang with the local 3Si club, and some of them just don't care about the issues, they love their car.
This one is owned by a nice young lady
Attached Thumbnails Good Deal? Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4-10.jpg  

Old 06-08-05, 08:31 PM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have decided to pass. Thanks everyone!!!
Old 06-09-05, 04:03 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good decision! mistubishi doesnt come near the level of quality that toyota possesses...