Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sentra Redesign

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-05, 11:59 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sentra Redesign

Well - if Nissan execs ever stop listening to the treasured half-baked decorated-scarf-wearing bunch of morons that I'm sure constitute the "focus group" that sent the Sentra back to paper, we'll probably see a redesign before too long.

It will apparently share a platform with the Renault Megane sport saloon available in Europe.

So here's a photo montage/extremely vague and general idea of what to expect from the next Sentra:

Renault builds a coupe model as well:

M.

Last edited by whipimpin; 06-09-05 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-09-05, 12:43 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

TOKYO -- The redesigned Nissan Sentra scheduled to arrive in 2006 will adopt the design of the Altima and Maxima and use a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine developed jointly by Renault SA and Nissan Motor Co.

The car will be aimed at people in their 20s.

The current Sentra is "conservative," says Shiro Nakamura, Nissan's chief designer. He says the new one will offer "dynamic and modern" styling.

The updated model also will have a roomier cabin.

"The Maxima, Altima and Sentra are three brothers," Nakamura says. "So you can see how the Sentra will change if you see how the Maxima and Altima changed."

At the Detroit auto show in January, Nissan will provide clues to the new Sentra. But he declined to say whether it will be a drawing or a prototype.

The Sentra is Nissan's No. 2 seller in the United States. For the first 11 months of this year, the model sold 97,940 units, up 14.4 percent from the year-ago period.

The current base Sentra is powered by a 1.8-liter engine. The Sentra SE-R with a six-speed manual transmission uses a 2.5-liter engine.

Nissan also plans to introduce into the United States a small car that will be positioned below the Sentra.

The car, scheduled for 2007, is expected to appeal to buyers aged 20 to 25 who would pay about $13,000. It may be the next generation of the Japan-market Nissan Cube.
Old 06-09-05, 12:44 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by http://www.autoweek.com/

Styling bombed -- so Nissan's redesigned Sentra delayed until the 2nd half of 2006
RICHARD JOHNSON | Automotive News
Posted Date: 1/18/05

Nissan Motor Co. delayed the U.S. launch of its redesigned Sentra compact for a year after the proposed styling tanked with consumer test groups, CEO Carlos Ghosn said.

Ghosn also said Nissan probably will introduce two cars in the United States that are smaller than the Sentra.

The looks of the planned Sentra successor fared poorly among focus groups last year. Ghosn said he didn't care for it, either.

"It worried me," he said at the Detroit auto show. "People in Nissan liked it, but the clinics hated it. I didn't like the car."

Ghosn ordered Nissan's designers back to the drawing board last summer.

The revised replacement will go on sale in the second half of 2006. The redesign had been scheduled to debut this summer as a 2006 model.

Nissan design chief Shiro Nakamura last month called the current Sentra "conservative." He said the new Sentra will offer "dynamic and modern" styling.

The Sentra is the No. 2 seller in the automaker's U.S. lineup, behind the Altima. Nissan sold 106,934 Sentras in 2004, up 13 percent from the year before.

The 177.5-inch-long Sentra has been the smallest Nissan offering in America. But the company wants to go smaller.

"We are practically set in what (small cars) we are going to bring to the United States," Ghosn said. "Very probably there will be more than one."

Ghosn wouldn't give details. The timing is uncertain, although Nissan is expected to launch at least one new small car in the United States in 2007.

Which Japanese small cars will Nissan sell in the United States?

"You can choose between the Cube, March, Tiida -- I can list you all the B-platform cars; we have many of them," Ghosn said.

The Cube is a boxy tall wagon akin to the Scion xB. The Tiida is a compact five-door hatchback. The March is a subcompact sold in Europe as the Micra.

Ghosn said Nissan won't group its small-car lineup in a new brand, as Toyota has done with its youth-oriented Scion marque.

"That's out of the question," he said. "We don't see the advantage. Why do you want to launch a new brand?"
Old 06-09-05, 12:52 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face

The first set of pics looks a lot like the Chevy Cobalt!
Old 06-09-05, 05:04 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Thanks for digging up some more info Xenthar

The more competition in this segment the better.

M.
Old 06-09-05, 05:15 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

http://www.automotivearticles.com/pr..._Delayed.shtml

Redesigned Sentra Delayed
By Mike Cervantes

The new Sentra will be based on Renault Nissan’s shared compact platform, which already underpins Renault’s Megane, a uniquely styled hatch on sale in Europe.

I'm not sure how reliable a source this site may prove to be - but I thought I'd post up anyway.

^ that's where I got my info.

M.
Old 06-09-05, 09:37 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whipimpin
Thanks for digging up some more info Xenthar

The more competition in this segment the better.

M.

No problem But that info about the renault car and the sentra being on the same platform was back in july of 04. Even if the concept sentra did look the way the renault one did, they scrapped that design. It seems now, it will look more like the maxima and altima--plus it will be more sporty
Old 04-12-06, 02:16 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Here are pictures from Nissan's website (www.nissanusa.com) of the 2007 Sentra.

This looks pretty horrible. I think I'd take a new Hyundai Accent over this. I'd certainly consider every other vehicle in this segment long before taking a look at this one. There's nothing appealing about it. Bland styling, mediocre performance/economy, below-average reliability. No thanks.

M.
Old 04-12-06, 03:11 PM
LexFather

Wow, looks like a G35/Skyline/Altima/Maxima/M35/45/Fuga. Except this Sentra is even uglier than the Maxima.

Old 04-12-06, 03:36 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nissan Sentra???

I don't think that car as peaked any interest in anybody I've known. The redesigned one still looks like an appliance.