Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New S-Class Uncovered - (named S550)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-05, 08:54 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
haha man if they make that coupe i would seriously consider the car

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I just foundmy next car in..........................................7 years.

Ted
Old 09-12-05, 07:12 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Mercedes' image rides on new flagship . . .

Frankfurt Auto Show

By Christine Tierney / The Detroit News

Ever since its introduction 40 years ago, Mercedes-Benz's flagship S-Class luxury sedan has epitomized the German carmaker's supremacy in automotive comfort, safety and prestige.

Now as Mercedes prepares to roll out the newest version at the Frankfurt Auto Show this week, its reputation hinges more than ever on the car's performance.

"What's at stake for them is the leadership in the luxury class," said Philipp Rosengarten, Frankfurt-based analyst for automotive forecasting firm Global Insight. New rivals are crowding the large luxury sedan segment which was once Mercedes' domain, while doubts about quality have weakened the brand.

Three years ago, when DaimlerChrysler AG's luxury carmaker launched the stalwart E-Class midsize sedan, executives asserted that they had worked out the bugs.

Behind the scenes, however, engineers were still tweaking electronic systems as production of the E-Class was getting under way. The result was dismal: Irate consumers savaged the car in quality surveys.

This time around, Mercedes has multiplied the precautions, putting the new sedan through a rigorous regimen that borrows tips from Toyota Motor Corp.

Pre-production S-Class cars have clocked more than three times as many test miles -- 3 million -- as previous models. In addition, whereas Mercedes previously allowed engineers to fine-tune electronic systems until the last minute, it set a deadline for changes in the S-Class five months before the start of production.

Mercedes still dominates the large luxury sedan segment, but rivals are turning up the competition.

Worldwide, BMW's 7 Series is gaining on Mercedes. In the United States, the largest single market for luxury cars, the S-Class trails Toyota's Lexus LS sedan -- and Toyota is pushing to establish its premium nameplate in Europe and Japan.

"The market for premium sedans has expanded, but there are many more players, so the pie gets chopped up even further," said Michael Robinet, vice president at consulting firm CSM Worldwide in Farmington Hills.

The Volkswagen group's Audi marque has produced a strong contender in its stylish A8. General Motors Corp. plans to build a top-line, ultra-luxury sedan under its revitalized Cadillac brand. And "the Japanese have raised their game with premium sedans," said Robinet.

Now Mercedes is trying to set the bar higher. Available with a choice of four engines, including a new V8, its new and larger S-Class also boasts class-leading safety technology.

Until recently, however, its impending debut was overshadowed by turmoil at the top of Mercedes.

The automaker has had three CEOs in one year, a financial scandal erupted recently in its European sales division, and relations with key suppliers have been strained by finger-pointing following a deterioration in the brand's reliability ratings: from No. 1 in J.D. Power and Associates' 1990 Vehicle Dependability Survey to No. 27 in the latest survey.

A poll published this year by Consumer Reports rated the 2004 E-Class the most unreliable car sold in the United States.

In April, Mercedes issued its biggest-ever U.S. recall -- 1.3 million vehicles. Some had been assembled as recently as January, undermining confidence in Mercedes executives' claims that they had resolved the quality problems. Meanwhile, Mercedes' Smart minicar brand keeps losing money.

In the first quarter, the Mercedes Car Group reported a $1.2 billion loss. It returned to profitability in the second quarter but earned only $15 million -- less than 3 percent of the Chrysler Group's profit during the period.

DaimlerChrysler announced last month that Dieter Zetsche, Chrysler Group CEO and incoming chief executive of DaimlerChrysler, would take over Mercedes' management. That appointment, effective Sept. 1, appeared timed in part to prevent internal problems from eclipsing the S-Class unveiling in Frankfurt.

With the new sedan, Mercedes is striving not only to restore its image but also bolster its claim to be a leader in automotive safety.

In the late 1980s, Mercedes and its supplier Robert Bosch GmbH developed electronic stability control, a system designed to help prevent accidents by correcting a car's trajectory when it strays from the direction in which the driver is steering. Electronic stability control, now available on most premium cars, has been shown in studies to substantially reduce accidents.

Mercedes is taking the concept of active -- or preventive -- safety a step further with the S-Class by enriching a network of systems designed to protect occupants once the car's radar sensors detect that a collision is unavoidable.

Within nanoseconds, the seats are pulled upright to place the driver and occupants in the right spot for the airbags, the sunroof closes and the windows roll up. The seatbelts hug the occupants tightly, and the brakes automatically slow down the car to reduce the impact.

To enhance drivers' visibility at night, Mercedes has fitted the S-Class with two infrared headlamps that provide as much illumination as high beams -- without dazzling oncoming drivers. The image captured by the infrared beams is displayed on a screen in the instrument panel.

During tests, drivers discerned dummy passengers dressed in dark clothes 55 yards away -- more than twice as far as they could spot them in a car with low-beam headlights.

"That's not a gimmick. It offers a real advantage," said auto analyst Juergen Pieper at Metzler Bank in Frankfurt.

GM pioneered night-vision technology in 2000 but stopped offering it last year because consumers balked at the cost, even though nearly half of fatal accidents in the United States occur at night or during twilight.

At the Frankfurt show, Mercedes' archrival BMW will display its own night-vision feature, which uses a different technology. It will offer it as an add-on option for the 7 Series and costs about $2,300.

Such systems owe their development to rapid advances in automotive electronics. But those technological gains have a downside, causing baffling and at times hard-to-fix problems that have eroded the reputation of Germany's automakers, leaders in the field.

Luxury sedan buyers tend to be middle aged or older, and many of these consumers are overwhelmed by the multitude of new functions. After breaking ground with its innovative iDrive system, introduced in the 7 Series, BMW has gone back to make it easier to use.

In the new S-Class, owners can troll through dozens of functions, such as suspension setting adjustments, controlled by a central system. But common features, such as radio and temperature controls, can also be adjusted the old-fashioned way by flicking switches or pressing buttons on the dashboard.

But all these features come at a higher price -- the S-Class starts at $82,000 in Europe, an increase of nearly 10 percent. "This is an opportunity, but also a risk," said Pieper.

If consumers like the sedan, the higher price will boost Mercedes' earnings. Pieper estimates the S-Class cars traditionally contribute a fifth of the automaker's profit.

But if the car isn't a hit, customers might balk at the price.

New boss Zetsche is counting on the model's profit margins to accelerate Mercedes' financial recovery. Last month, he said his first priority was to restore its profit margins to average levels for luxury carmakers -- or between 6 to 8 percent of sales, a level that has eluded Mercedes in recent years.

On Friday, Mercedes offered European customers a two-year warranty with unlimited mileage -- a tactic similar to the warranty plan he introduced at Chrysler in 2002 to allay concerns about reliability.

Mercedes already is showing improvement in sales, which rose 12 percent in August. Sales of Mercedes-brand vehicles were up 15 percent, bolstered by strong demand in Europe for the new A-Class compact and B-Class wagon and for the new M-Class sport utility vehicle assembled at Mercedes' plant in Vance, Ala.

Mercedes plans to expand its large vehicle lineup, adding a new R-Class large luxury wagon and a larger SUV, to court well-heeled customers looking at alternatives to the traditional luxury sedan.

While larger than the S-Class, the new vehicles don't diminish its importance in the range. Said Robinet: "The S-Class is still the standard-bearer for Mercedes-Benz."

source : detnews
Old 09-12-05, 07:28 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

That was a really good read. Good to know that they are taking steps to fix quality. But, they also said that when the new E-class was introduced and its the most unreliable car on the market.
Old 09-12-05, 08:13 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the release of the new S-Class. That price is ........I wonder if sales will go down.
Old 09-12-05, 09:52 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

This right here is freakin amazing. I love this idea.

Mercedes-Benz is offering a special optional extra which makes night driving in the S-Class even more of a special experience: indirectly illuminated wood trim elements in the doors and dashboard. Thin optical fibres located behind the trim strips and illuminated by LEDs generate a harmonious and continuous band of light below the waistline, improving orientation for the passengers and at the same time enhancing comfort and the feeling of spaciousness. The brightness of this ambient lighting can be individually adjusted and is automatically activated as soon as the doors are closed.

Old 09-12-05, 10:00 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magneto112
This right here is freakin amazing. I love this idea.

Mercedes-Benz is offering a special optional extra which makes night driving in the S-Class even more of a special experience: indirectly illuminated wood trim elements in the doors and dashboard. Thin optical fibres located behind the trim strips and illuminated by LEDs generate a harmonious and continuous band of light below the waistline, improving orientation for the passengers and at the same time enhancing comfort and the feeling of spaciousness. The brightness of this ambient lighting can be individually adjusted and is automatically activated as soon as the doors are closed.

I like it a lot too. A very limo-esque touch.

Lexus seems to have also caught on with ambient lighting in the new GS and IS. I'm sure the next LS will do great in regard as well.
Old 09-12-05, 10:07 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

That is beautiful....but I prefer less gadgetry....I'm happy with less things being able to go wrong. Just give me everything I need and nothing I don't.
Old 09-14-05, 07:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Mercedes-AMG Styling for New S-Class

Text & photos courtesy DaimlerChrysler AG
09-14-2005

Bodystyling and light-alloy wheels from Mercedes-AMG for the S-Class

Two optional extras from Mercedes-AMG are now available to give the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class an even more personal touch: AMG bodystyling and AMG light-alloy wheels. The air of poise and self-assurance that surrounds the powerful yet elegant Mercedes flagship model is taken to even greater heights by these AMG components.

The AMG bodystyling package comprises front and rear aprons as well as side skirts, all sporting the trademark AMG look: at the front, the restyled front bumper with its large cooling air intakes, black honeycomb grille and fog lamps with chrome surrounds produces a sportier feel at the same time as giving the new S-Class à la AMG a wider, lower-set appearance. The lines of the front bumper are mirrored in the side skirts whose distinctive sculpting in turn blends into the rear apron. The bodystyling is rounded off in dynamic fashion by the eye-catching rear bumper. Two large, oval AMG tailpipes with a chrome finish (except on S 320 CDI and S 600) add the final touches.

Striking AMG light-alloy wheels in 19 and 20-inch sizes
Extra sporty flair is also available by opting for the new 19-inch and 20-inch AMG light-alloy wheels which come in two different 5-spoke designs. At the front, the high-sheen 19-inch AMG wheels measure 8.5 J x 19 and are shod with 255/40 R 19 wide tyres while 275/40 R 19 tyres mounted on wheels measuring 9.5 J x 19 are fit-ted at the rear.

The 20-inch AMG light-alloy wheels painted in sterling silver which are due to be-come available in spring 2006 measure 8.5 J x 20 at the front and 9.5 J x 20 at the rear and are shod with 255/35 R 20 and 275/35 R 20 tyres respectively.

Quite apart from filling out the wheel arches perfectly and adding an extra dash of sportiness to the car's looks, the AMG light-alloy wheels also enhance the handling capabilities of the new S-Class even further.

Both the unmistakable AMG bodystyling and the exciting AMG light-alloy wheels are available for all of the different engines as well as both body variants in the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class range.

more pics HERE
Old 09-14-05, 01:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

AmethySC - thanks for the great job you're doing bringing us articles like this.

I think the new S class will be a HUGE success provided it's not plagued by reliability problems.

I love that AMG version!

This quote is awful PR for MB:

A poll published this year by Consumer Reports rated the 2004 E-Class the most unreliable car sold in the United States.
Old 09-14-05, 04:37 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

That indirect lighting is nice but something very similar is found in the A8 but is limited to the alcantara door inserts, footwells, and door pockets. It is very unique and adds quite the luxury touch. Against the wood, I'm sure it will look fantastic. As always, the AMG version is better but I still say it lacks compared to the outgoing model.

James
Old 09-14-05, 04:48 PM
LexFather

I need to scan the article but Del Coates is very dispapointed with not just this Benz design but a few others. They lost the German look. He stated, when the hell did Benz use the ML for design inspiration.

I will wait to see it in person, but it looks like a giant Kia to me.

Old 09-14-05, 05:06 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Euro pricing announced HERE
OK, let's see here. 1.22819 euro to the buck.

V6 S350 70,760 euros - $86,906.72

V8 S500 89,668 euros - $110,129.34

I guess I can hope MBNA works some magic on those base prices as mercs have always required some very expensive options to get out the door. Rarely do we get them with just a straight translation of price, normally they either just sell for less here or they decontent what we get to get the price but doggone, that's pretty healthy pricing. And that's what the folks in europe are going to pay in dollars. Doubt there will be many S class cabs running around.
Old 09-14-05, 05:10 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I need to scan the article but Del Coates is very dispapointed with not just this Benz design but a few others. They lost the German look. He stated, when the hell did Benz use the ML for design inspiration.

I will wait to see it in person, but it looks like a giant Kia to me.
I don't know if the giant Kia look is what strikes me but this design isn't doing it for me. Maybe more like Maybach meets RX-8 than giant Kia. But I will wait to see it in person as well. I can get past questionable exterior if everything is what it should be.
Old 09-14-05, 05:18 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RON430
OK, let's see here. 1.22819 euro to the buck.

V6 S350 70,760 euros - $86,906.72

V8 S500 89,668 euros - $110,129.34

I guess I can hope MBNA works some magic on those base prices as mercs have always required some very expensive options to get out the door. Rarely do we get them with just a straight translation of price, normally they either just sell for less here or they decontent what we get to get the price but doggone, that's pretty healthy pricing. And that's what the folks in europe are going to pay in dollars. Doubt there will be many S class cabs running around.
The MB cabs in Europe are the stripped down, cloth seats, diesel versions.

It usually doesn't help give you a good indication of what US price would be by using the exchange rate to convert European prices, as rates can fluctuate widely. If the exchange rate was still 0.85 euro to the dollar as in a couple years ago, those prices will look pretty good to a US car buyer.

The weak dollar hurts the profits of the European manufacturers selling cars in the US since they obviously cannot adjust the US pricing of their cars at the same rate as the changes in currencies exchange rates . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 09-14-05 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-14-05, 05:31 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AmethySC
The MB cabs in Europe are the stripped down, cloth seats, diesel versions.

It usually doesn't help give you a good indication of what US price would be by using the exchange rate to convert European prices, as rates can fluctuate widely. If the exchange rate was still 0.85 euro to the dollar as in a couple years ago, those prices will look pretty good to a US car buyer.

The weak dollar hurt the profits of the European manufacturers since they obviously cannot adjust the US pricing of their cars at the same rate as the changes in currebcies exchange rates . . .
I know the straight translation isn't all that useful but trying to figure out where these things are going to be priced when they get here has to start somewhere. Thanks for posting the link to the prices. I also know exchange rates fluctuate but waiting to get one of these until we go back to $0.85 to the euro means you are probably going to have to wait at least a couple of generations.

It might be too optimistic to plan on US versions, regardless of content, to be in the range of the straight one for one exchange. S350 $70K and S500 90K. After all, base on a current S350 is around $65K and the S500 is $86K and to think the new ones will be less than that is naive. I will grant that the current ones can be had at a decent discount but that is a moot point as they are at the end of their life and can't command a premium. The new ones certainly will. So I might think that if I have to have one of these when they first come out, OK so getting German cars in their first model years is one of the dumbest things you can do, I would expect that an S350 is going to be in the $75 to $85K range with options but without taxes and an S500 will be in the $95 to $105K range. I take it back from my previous post, for that money I better like the exterior styling. A lot.

Quick Reply: New S-Class Uncovered - (named S550)