Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New S-Class Uncovered - (named S550)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-05, 10:51 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks almost like a glass roof
Old 06-16-05, 10:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Yeah, I think it's likely a panaroma roof similar to what the current E class has. Nice option
Old 06-16-05, 12:13 PM
Pharonick2
Driver School Candidate

Default Not that bad looking

Their are a couple driving around the Torrance/Redondo Beach area. My girlfriend spotted somethng odd on the road, I took a look and realized it was the new S-Class. I was waiting at a light when it passed by, I ended up going straight and making a right and saw another one. Deicded to follow it a little bit but I think i freaked out the driver she hit the brakes after a couple of turns and told me to go around but I didnt i took pics with my cell phone lol. Anyways. It looks pretty good in person can't wait to see some official pics.
Old 06-16-05, 12:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ummm.... at a closer look at the bigger pic, i am not sure about the front and rear fenders... it's like they add them on or something. doesn't flow smooth with the car at all?
Old 06-16-05, 03:40 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Interior Pics For Those Who Cant Wait!!!

Here are some clearer pics of the interior for those who cant wait. We will have official pics on monday.

I'm really upset that the interior looks like an updated 7-series interior. They could have done sooo much better with this interior.
Old 06-16-05, 05:23 PM
LexFather

No its not ugly at all but the wheel arches are ridiculous, it loses some class to me. The interior is horrible, what in the hell were they thinking? It looks just like the 7 series, which is not user friendly at all.

Sigh, the LS 460 can't come soon enough...

Old 06-16-05, 05:30 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
. . . Sigh, the LS 460 can't come soon enough...
Probably only a few months later
Old 06-16-05, 05:33 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default New S-Class to Debut PRE-SAFE Radar

Text & photos courtesy DaimlerChrysler AG
edited 06-16-2005

First Accident Avoidance System Reduces Rear Collisions by 75 Percent

When the next-generation Mercedes-Benz S-Class goes on sale in Europe this fall, the flagship sedan will be the first to feature a new version of PRE-SAFE, a revolutionary new safety system that can reduce rear collisions by 75 percent. The next evolution of Mercedes-Benz accident avoidance, PRE-SAFE uses two complementary radar frequencies to detect vehicles up ahead, warn of a likely impact and prime the braking system for faster response when the driver brakes the car.

In addition, the front seat belts are tightened during the valuable time just before a possible impact, and seats move to positions that provide better protection -- two measures that have been part of the current S-Class PRE-SAFE system since its debut in 2002. The latest version also closes the side windows to provide better support for the curtain air bags, and can inflate special seat cushions that provide greater lateral support for occupants and help the side air bags provide even greater protection.

Testing Shows New PRE-SAFE Reduces Rear Collisions by 75 Percent

The new PRE-SAFE uses an enhanced version of the Mercedes-Benz Brake Assist system that can not only supply full-power braking assist in emergencies as soon as the driver applies the brake pedal, but also continuously measures the distance to the vehicle ahead and adjusts brake pressure if the driver doesn't brake hard enough. In extensive tests conducted by Mercedes researchers using 300 drivers, PRE-SAFE reduced rear collisions in heavy city traffic by 75 percent.

Two Radar Beams Stay on the Alert

The newest PRE-SAFE system uses two very different radar beams to scan traffic in front of the car. Newly developed short-range radar with a frequency of 24 gigahertz sweeps the first 33 yards in a fan-shaped 80-degree pattern, working in tandem with a narrower nine-degree beam of longer-range 77-gigahertz radar (already used for the car's optional Distronic cruise control feature). The two radar frequencies complement each other to provide a full range of more than 160 yards - more than one and a half football fields. The system can identify when the car is gaining too quickly on vehicles ahead to intervene with the Distronic system, and it decides whether to sound a warning, ready Brake Assist and trigger other PRE-SAFE measures.

source : Germancarfans
Old 06-16-05, 05:46 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC

Text & photos courtesy DaimlerChrysler AG
edited 06-16-2005

First Accident Avoidance System Reduces Rear Collisions by 75 Percent

When the next-generation Mercedes-Benz S-Class goes on sale in Europe this fall, the flagship sedan will be the first to feature a new version of PRE-SAFE, a revolutionary new safety system that can reduce rear collisions by 75 percent. The next evolution of Mercedes-Benz accident avoidance, PRE-SAFE uses two complementary radar frequencies to detect vehicles up ahead, warn of a likely impact and prime the braking system for faster response when the driver brakes the car.

In addition, the front seat belts are tightened during the valuable time just before a possible impact, and seats move to positions that provide better protection -- two measures that have been part of the current S-Class PRE-SAFE system since its debut in 2002. The latest version also closes the side windows to provide better support for the curtain air bags, and can inflate special seat cushions that provide greater lateral support for occupants and help the side air bags provide even greater protection.

Testing Shows New PRE-SAFE Reduces Rear Collisions by 75 Percent

The new PRE-SAFE uses an enhanced version of the Mercedes-Benz Brake Assist system that can not only supply full-power braking assist in emergencies as soon as the driver applies the brake pedal, but also continuously measures the distance to the vehicle ahead and adjusts brake pressure if the driver doesn't brake hard enough. In extensive tests conducted by Mercedes researchers using 300 drivers, PRE-SAFE reduced rear collisions in heavy city traffic by 75 percent.

Two Radar Beams Stay on the Alert

The newest PRE-SAFE system uses two very different radar beams to scan traffic in front of the car. Newly developed short-range radar with a frequency of 24 gigahertz sweeps the first 33 yards in a fan-shaped 80-degree pattern, working in tandem with a narrower nine-degree beam of longer-range 77-gigahertz radar (already used for the car's optional Distronic cruise control feature). The two radar frequencies complement each other to provide a full range of more than 160 yards - more than one and a half football fields. The system can identify when the car is gaining too quickly on vehicles ahead to intervene with the Distronic system, and it decides whether to sound a warning, ready Brake Assist and trigger other PRE-SAFE measures.

source : Germancarfans

Aite, I want to get my facts straight. What exactly did they add to the new system that makes it superior to the old system(I guess we can call it the1st gen Pre-Safe)?? ANd what does this system have over the new Pre Collision system in the GS?? When the new Pre Collision system came out on the GS, wasnt it superior to the Pre Safe in the MB?? Now it seems as if the 2ndgen Pre Safe contains exactly what the Pre Collision has.
Old 06-16-05, 05:51 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Wow...cannot believe that i spotted one today going South bound on 15, while i was going 15N at around 4:30 pm.....i slowed my 2GS down just to take a look at it on the other side of the highway. Could not see alot since the front and the back was covered with black material that we see in the pictures here.
Old 06-16-05, 05:54 PM
LexFather

I can appreciate the want to try to prevent accidents but at what point does the driver need to know how to drive? We are slowly just making people depend on cars.

Old 06-16-05, 10:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man wtf is that interior... the steering wheel is just horrible, and look at that clock...... they think they need to outdo infiniti?
Old 06-16-05, 11:34 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Thumbs down What on earth happened to the S-class???

Oh..................my....................gosh. That interior is hideous . I am so thankful of our S500 now (father-in-law now).
So they did use that **** drive and now this square seiko watch
Talk about overkill on the wood steering while losing the chrome emblem.
Does anyone know about the interior's designer?

How are the members able to get pictures of this car already?
Old 06-17-05, 04:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I can appreciate the want to try to prevent accidents but at what point does the driver need to know how to drive? We are slowly just making people depend on cars.
I got a whole separate thread on this, Mike...and this car's excesses.
Old 06-17-05, 04:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This, IMO, was the last good-looking S-Class. I have not thought much of the design ever since.

http://www.intorg.com/99S420/98S420.htm

Quick Reply: New S-Class Uncovered - (named S550)