Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Total Sleeper!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-05, 10:33 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I wouldnt spend 7k on that thing. But it does stand out tho. At the street or track, nobody is going to care bout a Viper, Supra, or even a Civic runnin 10s-13s because it is so common and expected. But when u bring out a crappy lookin mini-van that will run 12s, then yea its going to shock alot of people
Old 06-14-05, 11:44 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Personally I wouldnt spend 7k on that thing. But it does stand out tho. At the street or track, nobody is going to care bout a Viper, Supra, or even a Civic runnin 10s-13s because it is so common and expected. But when u bring out a crappy lookin mini-van that will run 12s, then yea its going to shock alot of people
But for how long before you get bored? I know a guy with a 11sec oldschool Toyota truck powered by a turbocharged 7m-gte and a dude with a V8 fiero running low 12s. 90% of the time they don't have the opportunity to stretch it's legs or find a worthy ride to embarass. Yeah it's fun fooling people, but once the cover is blown, one is still stuck with a rattly minivan that still looks and drive like one, requires premuim fuel and is not very reliable. That minivan is a one trick pony, same with the 11sec truck and Fiero. At least a Civic or Viper has great handling and is actually fun to drive at all speed.
Old 06-14-05, 11:54 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So we can't say putting 100k in a Honda is nuts but you can say its ugly and is a POS and they should get a better setup.
You'll have to take that up with NEO and the other mods. They make the call on who has more rights than who. I'm just voicing my opinion on the subject at hand.
Old 06-15-05, 05:18 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

you guys are missing the point, its not supposed to be a clean stylish car. The whole point is to have a daily drive car that looks like a plain jane POS but will blow the doors off most cars it meets. The guy wanted to do something different and unexpected, he didnt want to impress his yuppy friends.
Old 06-15-05, 09:30 AM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

thats a sweet sleeper
Old 06-15-05, 12:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
you guys are missing the point, its not supposed to be a clean stylish car. The whole point is to have a daily drive car that looks like a plain jane POS but will blow the doors off most cars it meets. The guy wanted to do something different and unexpected, he didnt want to impress his yuppy friends.
very well said, and i think he's being darn successful in what he wanted to achieve
Old 06-15-05, 01:51 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Also, how much does it cost to get our Lexuses to be that fast???
Old 06-15-05, 03:20 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So we can't say putting 100k in a Honda is nuts but you can say its ugly and is a POS and they should get a better setup.
Love the picture Hopefully they get the idea presented by it?
Old 06-15-05, 03:22 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
...The guy wanted to do something different and unexpected, he didnt want to impress his yuppy friends.
LOL...take a look at his website...tell me where to find *ANY* glimpse of a yuppy friend...I would rather think he just wanted to be the talk of the track and make his 6 kids proud...15 minutes of fame and all!
Old 06-15-05, 03:32 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Also, how much does it cost to get our Lexuses to be that fast???
IT all varies on what model man...Take mine for example, it would take 10s of thousands of dollars to make mine beat that van...just because it's a more expensive car and the parts have to be unique. Oppose to the IS300 which might be a little off $10,000. Oh and I was thinking of doing something like that with like an old miata and dropping an engine worth more than it under the hood. I might need to cut some room and get some better shocks and suspension lol, that thing can only hold so much.

I wonder how fast a miata would run if it had 400HP? Alot faster than that van I'm sure. Especially if you took all the interior out and just had a basic race car with one or 2 seats.
Old 06-15-05, 03:55 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KVA
LOL...take a look at his website...tell me where to find *ANY* glimpse of a yuppy friend...I would rather think he just wanted to be the talk of the track and make his 6 kids proud...15 minutes of fame and all!
I was speaking figuratively, in that he was not doing it to impress the yuppy crowd.
Old 06-15-05, 07:29 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

This dude is obviously looking for attention really bad to want to spend that much cash on a crappy old van like this. If he did this for himself as a daily driver, he'd would've picked a nicer vehicle to start with. A rattly 12sec really old van is not a very reliable, comfortable or economical ride. It's all good tho, whatever gets him through the day. Beats hangin out on web forums taking cracks at someone elses style when one can be the subject of discussion. He's a good role model.
Old 06-15-05, 11:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
IT all varies on what model man...Take mine for example, it would take 10s of thousands of dollars to make mine beat that van...just because it's a more expensive car and the parts have to be unique. Oppose to the IS300 which might be a little off $10,000. Oh and I was thinking of doing something like that with like an old miata and dropping an engine worth more than it under the hood. I might need to cut some room and get some better shocks and suspension lol, that thing can only hold so much.

I wonder how fast a miata would run if it had 400HP? Alot faster than that van I'm sure. Especially if you took all the interior out and just had a basic race car with one or 2 seats.
umm i beg to differ. i am not sure if arond 10k is enough to make the is300 doing sub 12s 1/4 mile?