Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda to Redesign Slumping Accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05, 06:50 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Honda to Redesign Slumping Accord

The carmaker plans substantial changes to the exterior styling and engine power.

From Bloomberg News

Honda Motor Co. said Tuesday that it planned what it termed substantial modifications to its Accord model in an effort to reverse a slump that might lead to the company's first U.S. sales decline in 12 years.

"We're planning some fairly major refreshes coming this year," said John Mendel, sales chief for American Honda Motor Co., the Japanese company's Torrance-based U.S. arm.

The changes will address what customers view as the current Accord's shortcomings, including exterior styling and engine power, he said. The latest Accord is about halfway through its four-to-five-year model life.

In its attempt to boost U.S. demand, Honda is trying to regain share in a market that has accounted for 43% of its global sales. Accord sedans and coupes, which made up 25% of Honda's total U.S. sales through May, have fallen 9% to 143,304. Honda's annual U.S. sales haven't fallen since 1993, the longest growth streak in the market.

"Accord is Honda's symbol in this market. They'll do what they have to to protect it," said Jim Sanfilippo, executive vice president of Automotive Marketing Consultants Inc. in Bloomfield Hills, Mich. "It doesn't cost much to bend the sheet metal a little differently to improve the looks, so that's an easy option."

The drop for the Accord as well as the Civic — a small car that is Honda's second-biggest-selling U.S. model — cut the company's U.S. sales 0.7% this year through May to 565,948. Civic sales are down 15% this year, in part because Honda has reduced production ahead of the release of a redesigned version due in about three months.

Despite the declines this year, Honda will maintain its annual streak of overall U.S. sales growth, said Mendel, who declined to estimate a percentage increase.

Honda, No. 5 in U.S. auto sales, has relied more on cars than larger competitors General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co., DaimlerChrysler and Toyota Motor Corp., which sell more sport utility vehicles, pickups and minivans.

Amid falling U.S. demand for cars, Honda has added its first pickup, boosted production of SUVs and minivans and plans a second SUV for its luxury Acura line.

Accord sales may have been hurt this year as Honda dealers focused more on selling newer, more expensive models such as the Ridgeline pickup and Pilot SUV, Sanfilippo said. "My sense is a lot of dealers are a little bit enamored with selling these new trucks."

source : latimes
Old 06-15-05, 07:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

This is not surprising....for at least two reasons. First, Honda, unlike many other automakers, traditionally redesigns all of their products every 4 years like clockwork....the only exceptions, of course, being the old Passport and Acura MDX, which of course were Isuzu-designed, and the S2000, for reasons I don't know. Second, I never was a fan of those ugly triangular backsweep headlights and rather frumpy-looking rear end....and it looks like I wasn't alone.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-15-05 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-15-05, 07:28 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
The carmaker plans substantial changes to the exterior styling and engine power.

From Bloomberg News

Honda Motor Co. said Tuesday that it planned what it termed substantial modifications to its Accord model in an effort to reverse a slump that might lead to the company's first U.S. sales decline in 12 years.

"We're planning some fairly major refreshes coming this year," said John Mendel, sales chief for American Honda Motor Co., the Japanese company's Torrance-based U.S. arm.

The changes will address what customers view as the current Accord's shortcomings, including exterior styling and engine power, he said. The latest Accord is about halfway through its four-to-five-year model life.

In its attempt to boost U.S. demand, Honda is trying to regain share in a market that has accounted for 43% of its global sales. Accord sedans and coupes, which made up 25% of Honda's total U.S. sales through May, have fallen 9% to 143,304. Honda's annual U.S. sales haven't fallen since 1993, the longest growth streak in the market.

"Accord is Honda's symbol in this market. They'll do what they have to to protect it," said Jim Sanfilippo, executive vice president of Automotive Marketing Consultants Inc. in Bloomfield Hills, Mich. "It doesn't cost much to bend the sheet metal a little differently to improve the looks, so that's an easy option."

The drop for the Accord as well as the Civic — a small car that is Honda's second-biggest-selling U.S. model — cut the company's U.S. sales 0.7% this year through May to 565,948. Civic sales are down 15% this year, in part because Honda has reduced production ahead of the release of a redesigned version due in about three months.

Despite the declines this year, Honda will maintain its annual streak of overall U.S. sales growth, said Mendel, who declined to estimate a percentage increase.

Honda, No. 5 in U.S. auto sales, has relied more on cars than larger competitors General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co., DaimlerChrysler and Toyota Motor Corp., which sell more sport utility vehicles, pickups and minivans.

Amid falling U.S. demand for cars, Honda has added its first pickup, boosted production of SUVs and minivans and plans a second SUV for its luxury Acura line.

Accord sales may have been hurt this year as Honda dealers focused more on selling newer, more expensive models such as the Ridgeline pickup and Pilot SUV, Sanfilippo said. "My sense is a lot of dealers are a little bit enamored with selling these new trucks."

source : latimes
I think the highbrid version is already a second faster than the normal one.
Old 06-15-05, 08:06 AM
LexFather

Well the Accord has always had decent engines, even back with the 145hp I-4 EX Accord. THe V-6 pumps up 240hp.
Those ******** need to realize the car has a perfect interior just about (even with Lexus electroluminicent gauges), the quality is there, the ride/handling is good. Its just the exterior is weird from some angles. I thought for sure they would fix those tailamps with the freshning.

Honda, the Accord is a FAMILY SEDAN, bread and butter. IT DOES NOT need more power More power to FWD= it will only induce more torque steer.

They just need to touch up the exterior, otherwise the car is near perfect for anyone

I guess if the Accord changes so will every car in the Honda/Acura lineup.

Old 06-15-05, 08:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well the Accord has always had decent engines, even back with the 145hp I-4 EX Accord. THe V-6 pumps up 240hp.
Those ******** need to realize the car has a perfect interior just about (even with Lexus electroluminicent gauges), the quality is there, the ride/handling is good. Its just the exterior is weird from some angles. I thought for sure they would fix those tailamps with the freshning.

Honda, the Accord is a FAMILY SEDAN, bread and butter. IT DOES NOT need more power More power to FWD= it will only induce more torque steer.

They just need to touch up the exterior, otherwise the car is near perfect for anyone

I guess if the Accord changes so will every car in the Honda/Acura lineup.
I agree. It does not need more power or a different interior. Just fix the front and rear end.
Old 06-15-05, 08:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I agree the current Accord has the least appealing exterior for Accord ever, when I first saw it , it's like WTF . . .
Old 06-15-05, 08:39 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE
Senior Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, the 4-door Accord's rear end is up there with the uglist I have ever seen.
Old 06-15-05, 09:40 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I sure would like them to change that whole shifter/gear area. Looks so cheap expecially when you have to use your thumb to depress the shifter.
Even the civic has a nicer shift lever.

Whoops, exterior, not interior
Old 06-15-05, 10:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I sure would like them to change that whole shifter/gear area. Looks so cheap expecially when you have to use your thumb to depress the shifter.
Even the civic has a nicer shift lever.

Whoops, exterior, not interior
The thumb-button idea on the console shifter is not new. Some manufacturers, like Dodge, had them back in the 1960's. It was......and is......... primarily intended to keep morons or small children from inadvertently putting an idling car in Neutral or Park into gear. The same line of thinking......after the Audi 5000 fiasco in 1985.......gave us the brake-pedal interlock switch for today's automatic transmissions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-15-05 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-15-05, 10:42 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know. I think the interior of the Honda Accord is kind of tacky, epsecially the bulging middle part of the dash and the center console
Old 06-15-05, 10:44 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm happy to hear this because I can't stand the exterior of the new Accord, the front is funny looking and the rear is very awkward, not an attractive car at all. The coupe is just nasty looking, I mean my bar of caress soap looks more appealing.
Old 06-15-05, 11:35 AM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Default hyndai

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
...... I thought for sure they would fix those tailamps with the freshning.

Honda,.
Maybe hundai will have more luck

Not an ugly car at all!
Old 06-15-05, 11:47 AM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

I don't know why Honda needs to even sweat this. Even with this slight decrease this year, they are still selling more accord than they ever did. They're just spoil brats. Somewhere along the line, sales are going to stabelize or show a slight decrease, it's normal. It can't continue to grow and grow and grow, unless all the worlds people only buys accords. But when you got the camry as a competitor, that ain't gonna happen.

I do welcome a major change to the exterior design tho....
Old 06-15-05, 12:23 PM
Milla...

Originally Posted by Lex_Fnatic
Maybe hundai will have more luck

Not an ugly car at all!
Thats a very attractive Hyundai. These guys are really sneaking in through the back door.
Old 06-15-05, 12:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I agree the current Accord has the least appealing exterior for Accord ever, when I first saw it , it's like WTF . . .
put me on the list as well. i still remember when i saw the previous generation accord i was very impressed with it (much better than the last generation camry), but this new one....

anyway, i am surprised that the sales of the accord drops so much, that's pretty sad... but people now do say that the camry is far better than the accord sedan. used to be head to head competition, but somehow this time it's a big gap

and i agree with mike as well, no need to put more hp on the car. make it quiet, better interior, and make the car comfortable. that's what a family needs

Quick Reply: Honda to Redesign Slumping Accord