Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So what do you guys think about the new 2006 Eclipse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05, 12:11 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

heavy, bulbous, girl car.....

i dont care if it does 6's to 60.... would still not drive one

and it better be doing 6's to 60 with that 3.8L v6....

the is350 will be doing 5's with a 3.5L making 315hp

that 3.8L only makes 260, what a pig (also weighs 3600lbs)
Old 06-15-05, 12:40 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey, at least they ditched the slats & strakes that the old Ecplise had... that's a start.

What was the deal with the Pontiac-esque horizontal dents on the doors and the front bumper?
I always thought the last Eclipse would have looked better after Bondo'ing the doors smooth.

The new one looks like a bar of soap.

Didn't anybody tell Mitsu that "soft" cars are out of style?
Old 06-15-05, 02:57 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Ehhh.....dont really care for it at all. It does look a lot like the 2nd gen which to me is still the best looking Eclipse to date, but still not as good looking. I really hate the window treatment. It has that old school minivan triangle window by the side view mirrors. Overall, the design looks completely overdone. Nice acceleration, but rediculously heavy and with all that wieght, I cant see it being fun to drive. I would rathewr hop in a tC, Tiburon, RSX, or even a Cobalt.

I can confidently say sales will be better than the previous generation, but I dont see it being a huge hit like Mitsu thinks it will be. I just wish and hope Mitsu gets it back together soon(for the sake of the EVO and that it).
Old 06-15-05, 03:53 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without the AWD I wouldn't even consider it. I had a '93 Eagle Talon TSI back in the day and that was a fun little car to drive but Mitsubishi seems to have a target here of young people and about 20k that works cause I see these cheap eclipses all over the place.
Old 06-15-05, 04:23 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

If they want it to be successful, may be there is an easier way. Take the Evo and eliminate two doors and provide an automatic transimission, then it might sell better than any generation of eclipse.
Old 06-15-05, 07:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
What was the deal with the Pontiac-esque horizontal dents on the doors and the front bumper?
?
Well, Pontiac really shouldn't have dropped THEIRS...or the body cladding. It has hurt their sales. In fact that has been the #1 GTO complaint....it looks too dull.
Old 06-15-05, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlkGS3
This is the car thats supposed to save Mitsubishi? BAH
Put the AWD and turbo 4 back into it.......like it SHOULD have kept in the first place 5 years ago....and maybe it will. I don't agree with those who say that the last version with the normally aspirated FWD V6 increased its appeal. I heard a LOT of b - -ching when the last-gen model came out..and Mitsubishi lost a lot of enthusiasts.
Old 06-15-05, 07:52 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My coworker has the previous Eclipse (2 gens ago, when the AWD Turbo was avail) and he loves this new model... he's buying one in a few weeks... I say YUCK... he agrees but says the POWER is nice... I told him to eye an Avalon (he works at a Toyota dealer...)
Old 06-15-05, 07:53 PM
Koma

Audi TT rear end, Galant front end. And stupid funny pillar in the door.
UGLY!
Old 06-16-05, 02:02 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Hasn't this car (well, not really) been in the market since 1999? j/k

Everytime I see this car, it reminds me of this:

Old 06-16-05, 05:12 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by robloc93
...... Do you guys think Mitsubishi got it right this time? I know most fans of the original turbo all-wheel drive model still dislike the FWD layout, but the car has posted pretty impressive times.The design is better than the last one and the car has a modern look to it. The problem is,coupes like this are usually hot their first year,then ,they slump and are soon forgotten (Cougar,Celica,etc..).My issue of Car and Driver has the car listed as 6.1 seconds for the 0-60 and the 1/4 mile in 14.5 sec. It has a big 3.8 liter V6 the produce 263 hp and 260.lb feet of torque. While I'm not a big fan of Mitsu (except the EVO),this car as some style,and is pretty quick(in a FWD coupe sort of way).I give the car They did a great job of keeping the look of the concept.

So what do you guys think??

Eclipse concept

Production version

Is it me or do motor trend have better drivers? They consistently test anywhere from 2-5 tenths faster then car and driver staff does This case 3 tents.. ALways theres rarely an exception where car and driver got the better time. Motor trend tested at 14.2@100.9... thats pretty fast for a fwd... Probably second fastest production FWDER out there.. although I wonder where the Altima SER stands? Its defenitevily a huge step up from a previous gen and stock for stock the fastest eclipse ever...

But Its hard to warm up to a car that has gained 500 lbs in bulk and lost the awd and tunability option from the originals...
Old 06-16-05, 05:19 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EGainer
heavy, bulbous, girl car.....

i dont care if it does 6's to 60.... would still not drive one

and it better be doing 6's to 60 with that 3.8L v6....

the is350 will be doing 5's with a 3.5L making 315hp

that 3.8L only makes 260, what a pig (also weighs 3600lbs)
The IS350 will also retail around 15k more. Itll spank an IS250, and there was a time where a 3.8 Liter made 150 hp and was put in a sporty car... Mustang 10 years ago.

You have to look more then peak numbers... That car has a very broad torque range, which is a reason why its running sub 6 seconds 0-60 and low 14 second passes with only 263 hp and 3700+ plus weight with driver and a trickle of fuel. Something current lexuses has trouble doing with 300 hp and V8s.. (ok so theyre almost there but still.)
Old 06-16-05, 07:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Is it me or do motor trend have better drivers? They consistently test anywhere from 2-5 tenths faster then car and driver staff does ...
Is that how you measure good driving.......the lowest 0-60 times? Of course, on a test track, I can understand it to an extent. but keep in mind, though, that the lowest drag times often mean gross abuse of the drivetrain...often on new and un-broken-in cars, which some magazines are a little cautious about.
Old 06-16-05, 08:23 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

this eclipse and the last model are horrible looking and no awd and no turbo,,,,,, no reason to buy one,,,, i loved the second gen eclipse, especially the convertible turbo models,,,,,, especially when a girl drove one slammed with an exhaust and a sweet blow off valve,,,,, drool.......
Old 06-16-05, 09:28 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i think i wouldnt take this over over scion tC. i dont really like any mitsu other than EVO.

they shouldv'e dropped 4G63 in it instead of this 3.8L V6. And i think it looks odd.

Quick Reply: So what do you guys think about the new 2006 Eclipse?