Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$30,000 Family Sedans comparo from C&D (and we all know the result before reading)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05, 12:24 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up $30,000 Family Sedans comparo from C&D (and we all know the result before reading)

Don't we all?

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=9639

1. Toyota Avalon Touring
2. Chrysler 300 Touring
3. Nissan Maxima 3.5SE
4. Ford Five Hundred Limited
5. Buick LaCrosse CXS
6. Kia Amanti
Old 06-15-05, 12:30 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

The "KIA benz" (Amanti) is pretty nice... definately an eye-catching car... too bad it's a KIA =P You'd think it'd be badged Hyundai.

I also saw a Hyundai Sonata (new one) on the road this morning... it looks nice! Still wouldn't buy one just because it's a Hyundai tho
Old 06-15-05, 12:31 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I have this issue and the Avalon simply blew the competition out of the water,even the Maxima. I still can't believe it ran a 0-60 in 6 seconds flat!!! The Maxima wasn't far behind with 6.1
Old 06-15-05, 01:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Don't we all?

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=9639

1. Toyota Avalon Touring
2. Chrysler 300 Touring
3. Nissan Maxima 3.5SE
4. Ford Five Hundred Limited
5. Buick LaCrosse CXS
6. Kia Amanti
Good comparo.

Very sad the Buick is last. And its SAD SAD SAD, how the Maxima is no longer a sports sedan (I don't care if it has quad or 10 exhaust tips and the ads on T.V show it beating an Enzo) but Avalon/300C/Buick competiton....
Kia Amanti

Highs: Great hospitality for the passengers, classy burled-wood trim, luxo-car ride, auto up and down on all windows.

Lows: Excessive avoirdupois, slack responses to driver inputs, Planet-of-the-Mutants styling.

The Verdict: Get some plastic surgery, kid, then give us a call.

Buick LaCrosse CXS

Highs: Refined engine earns spot in the fast lane; crisp handling reflexes without rocky ride; sunny interior, thanks to the low beltline.

Lows: Rear-seat space much tighter than the others', Grandpa exterior styling, jerky transmission in stop-and-go traffic.

The Verdict: Just perfect for all those conflict-avoidance therapists.

Ford Five Hundred Limited

Highs: Classy looks outside and in, huge interior space, whopper trunk, Vista Cruiser view all around.

Lows: Underachiever V-6, six-speed auto too reluctant to downshift, front buckets are back killers.

The Verdict: A triumph of virtue over verve.

Nissan Maxima 3.5SE

Highs: Spry performance, just-right front buckets, athletic moves over the road.

Lows: Torque steer, jumpy throttle, overwrought-Altima exterior, and what's with the fleece-lined cockpit?

The Verdict: If you're looking for the un-Buick...

Chrysler 300 Touring

Highs: Drives like all the knee bones are connected to the thigh bones, the metallic-look dash, pleasing power and noises from the 3.5-liter V-6.

Lows: Lots of road noise, only a four-speed auto and no manumatic, low-budget shine on the plastic interior padding.

The Verdict: Plus-sized and proud of it.

Toyota Avalon Touring Sedan

Highs: Smart-looking new shape, splendidly legible instruments, three bags full of storage space up front, exhilarating thrust.

Lows: Extra-crunchy ride, the blue screen of gratuitous info glowing at us from the dash center, driver seat has to be low to get the cushion angle right.

The Verdict: Look out, GM! Toyota has the formula

Old 06-15-05, 02:23 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a bad color for the avalon touring, touring soppose to be the sport model so the blue isnt doing the trick for it, touring i think looks good in that grey color, but glad the avalon came out on top, always knew the avalon had some potenial
Old 06-15-05, 02:42 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by robloc93
I have this issue and the Avalon simply blew the competition out of the water,even the Maxima. I still can't believe it ran a 0-60 in 6 seconds flat!!! The Maxima wasn't far behind with 6.1
So Toyota's official 0-60mph figure of 6.6sec is way underrated, probably in an attempt to avoid making the ES look overly bad.
If the Avalon Touring is doing 6 secs flat with just 280 hp, 260 lb-ft, 5-speed auto and 3545 lbs, the IS350's actual performance will likely also do better than the high-5's that Lexus claims. With 30 more hp, 20 more lb-ft, one more gear and a slightly lower weight of 3,525 lbs, it'd better do better than that.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 06-15-05 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-15-05, 02:50 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

C&D must have had 80 pound women flooring the gas of these cars.

I don't think the automatic Maxima ever got a time as fast as 6.1 seconds.

Motortrend got a time of 6.5s for the Avalon.

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/seda...on/index2.html.
Old 06-15-05, 03:10 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's the Avalon write-up:
First Place
Toyota Avalon Touring Sedan

Just when you think you have all the makes and models pigeonholed, one of them jumps his cell. The Avalon has abandoned its "Japanese Buick" spot for a position in the Sports Dept. The new 3.5-liter V-6 claims 280 horsepower, and it made believers out of us with a 0-to-60 run of six seconds flat. Its 14.6-second quarter-mile time at 99 mph cleaned up on the drag strip, too.

Toyota may have overdone the sport thing with the Touring suspension, however. Ride quality over broken pavement approaches Porsche-style crunchiness. Avoid the rough stuff, and the Avalon is instantly lovable for its driving position and excellent arrangement of the controls, great clarity of the instrument cluster, superb arrangement of storage bins, and quality. We rated the interior styling above all others, although there was some murmuring about one detail: Where wood-grain would normally accent the doors and dash, the Touring model reminds of hammer-finished metal—sort of, but not quite. It's abstract, merely a pattern; some folks insist on the representational, even if it's fake wood.

On the performance side of the ratings, the Avalon was second best for road grip at 0.79 g, about average for stopping, and way above the others in our lane-change test. It deserves special mention, too, for winning both the acceleration and economy tests with 23 mpg over our 600-mile route.

We rated the rear comfort just behind the Kia's and Ford's, although it's still excellent. Footroom under the front seats is less than generous, but few will have legs long enough to notice. The Avalon has one trick the others can't match: The rear seat has an adjustable-angle backrest with enough positions available to hit everyone's sweet spot.

The Avalon has everything we need in a four-door. The front bucket holds us well, and the machine is quick in its responses, sure-footed when it hustles. Full-throttle downshifts come with no shilly-shallying. The suspension doesn't float over crests, and the steering cuts just right on your first try. Sure, the "plump duck" styling puts off traditionalists, and the blue dashboard display is merely Toyota's annoying way of holding the space for a nav system in every Avalon. But this car has moves, it has space, and it has fuel economy.

It's a winner.
Old 06-15-05, 05:30 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

C & D always seem to get the fastest times testing cars among the car magazines . . .

Good & deserving win for the Avalon
Old 06-15-05, 06:12 PM
LexFather

To be honest, the accleration for the Avalon is a plus, the MAxima has been a mid 6-7 second car since 1995 now. But what these cars are supposed to be about is space, quality, comfort, a nice ride and features. And the Avalon wins there. Then it also has the best fuel economy.

Its tough to beat. I don't think its going to get anyone that wants a 300C (as those people are simply drawn to the looks) but the others I can easily see people buying the Avalon over it.

The Maxima still has the "name" going for it (think sporty) but if you someone drives the 2 cars, they are going to be shocked by the Avalon.

Old 06-15-05, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
So Toyota's official 0-60mph figure of 6.6sec is way underrated, probably in an attempt to avoid making the ES look overly bad.
D
I doubt it. In most cases one does not buy an ES to scortch the pavement with from 0-60......nor an Avalon......nor any other of these family sedans.
Old 06-15-05, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by xravexboix
The "KIA benz" (Amanti) is pretty nice... definately an eye-catching car... too bad it's a KIA =P You'd think it'd be badged Hyundai.

I also saw a Hyundai Sonata (new one) on the road this morning... it looks nice! Still wouldn't buy one just because it's a Hyundai tho
Two things. First...you're living in the past if you wouldn't buy a Hyundai. Their quality is now virtually as good as a Toyota or Honda.
Second, I have driven just about all of the cars in this test. The Amati is the only one that I would call fairly soft-riding....at the cost of body roll, of course. The others, while not as firm as sports cars, all had a noticeable stiffness...even non-touring versions of the Avalon.
Kia, by the way, in case you don't know, is a Hyundai division. They use some of the same engines and platforms.
Old 06-15-05, 11:05 PM
L-Finesser
Rookie

The Avalon is great. I simply think Toyota can do a better job with its image.
Old 06-16-05, 12:15 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

I am really impressed with the Avalon...
I have seen them out and about and with the right rims and tint, this car has
a litlle player in it..lol

Not an overstylish car but very classy with a nice interior and great engine..

Whats up with the ES>>>???
Old 06-16-05, 05:26 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

someone on the engineering team likes to drag race

damn son! 14.6!

Quick Reply: $30,000 Family Sedans comparo from C&D (and we all know the result before reading)