Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrend M45 VS GS430

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-05, 11:55 PM
LexFather

This debate is so damn old now, its too long in the damn tooth SO READ UP b/c I am tired of it. .

Consumers have spoken. the M35/45 to its credit has won tons of comparisons and it hasn't meant diddly squat. Sales are flat month after month. The GS will less power and God forbid, less sport still outsells it and is still the car people want. The M35/45 is the cheaper car to buy. We just saw a new GS at the Dub show already. Where is the M35/45 in the show(s) if its so desirable? We have seen VVTi take his GS 430 to the Dragon, 311 turns in 11 miles. All I hear from the M lovers is more magazine racing.

Infiniti/Nissan has to buy Toyota technology to put in its cars for hybrids. They have NO ANSWER to the GS 450h. No answer. They share more parts than legos, I've explained in detail how all the sharing of parts makes it a much cheaper car to produce.

Then what is going to happen when the GS 350 and GS 460 come? With Dual VVTi and Direct Injection? The cars already have a 6-speed auto. That is true progress the consumer can appreciate. These cars already have the best fuel economy, this will only improve. That is progress. The GS all new and BIGGER is only 50lbs heavier. The M35/45 weighs as much as a AWD RL, 4000lbs.
Lexus just announced, they are going to take the customer/owner experience to ANOTHER level. Leading again.

The GS is a WORLD car, the M35/45 is not. You got to be sold in Europe to be taken seriously, I don't care if you sell 4 damn cars. The NSX (Honda there) and Skyline GT-R never sold well there but damnit, they respect the fact they CAN buy the cars and its imported there. EUROPE is very important. If your not sold there, how serious are you?

People are commending stuff they won't use, "my slalom time is higher" and "I can pull more Gs than you". The chances of a GS and M at a stoplight are somewhere around .00000001% but hey, in the meantime, you can beat off to that Motor Trend.

The 2 companies cannot be more different in execution. Hospitals are advancing using Toyotas methods. Toyota seeing the big picture, may raise prices to help all the competition, specifially GM/Ford. Nissan just shares everyhing and passes no savings to consumers. They are not even Nissan but owned by Renault. How the heck do you think they got so profitable in such short time? They make stylish cars that are pretty much all the same with cheap interiors and bad quality. Nissan is still below average with quality and looking at the new JD Power report, Infiniti has dropped behind many competitors while Lexus is still #1 and IMPROVING in quality. To their CREDIT, they price the cars higher than ever. And people are buying them. Iceman said it best "cheap, yet expensive cars".

Finally it find it DAMN hilarious when people say "oh the GS 430 still has the same engine" .Well guess what, the M45 does too. The last M45 had the SAME engine and the Q45 has had it since 2002. So why do people pick on the GS, I don't know. The last M45 was a sub 6 second car, so is the new one, but a tick or two faster. Of course when your traveling at 70mph, like most people do on the freeway, the engine is buzzzing at 3000rpm b/c its short a gear and the gearing is super aggresive to finally get the most out the engine. If you like that buzz, be my guest. That gets annoying in ANY car after 10 mintues.

So yes, its a nice car and after 15 damn years of selling cars, you expect people to bow-down when they finally get one or two right? I don't think so, especially when one company has been a leader or always near the tops in most every category in every aspect since 1990. Let alone the established Germans.

Closed and good damn night.