Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrend M45 VS GS430

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-05, 11:21 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Motortrend M45 VS GS430

Administrator if this is a repost please delete the post.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...505_risingsun/
Old 06-16-05, 11:35 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

2 great cars...but what's wrong with this picture in this whole comparison?

Old 06-16-05, 11:59 AM
gs430jw
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Funny!! Nice find
Old 06-16-05, 01:24 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Good review. It gave the pluses of both cars, but in the end, they felt the M was better
Old 06-16-05, 02:59 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

funny how they say Infiniti and Lexus have been going head to head in the market for years like two big sumo wrestlers...
not even the same market; and if sales is the margin of victory, Infiniti lost a long time ago lol

throughout the article they are describing "shortcomings" as actual aspects of being a luxury car... you WANT it to be quiet, you want it to be snug, etc... Lexus makes luxury vehicles and still hasnt really tried to make a real sports sedan... calling out problems that would definitely be problems in a sports sedan, but since its a luxury car its not

I think the IS350 or IS460 would be a better comparison vs the M since Lexus never set out to make the GS a sports sedan which Infiniti obviously did

I saw my FIRST M45 the other day at a gas station... some older lady (50+) driving it... I've seen 4-5 new GS, with 2 of them being the GS430... the M looks like an Altima in person, in fact thats what I thought it was at first... there's no mistaking the new GS for anything

Last edited by Bean; 06-16-05 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-16-05, 03:28 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Bean
funny how they say Infiniti and Lexus have been going head to head in the market for years like two big sumo wrestlers...
not even the same market; and if sales is the margin of victory, Infiniti lost a long time ago lol
Well when you're paid by someone...you'll write anything to please them.

Infiniti has been trying to catch up and follow Lexus in the market for years. Infiniti lost when the 1st gen "Flagship" Q45 didn't sell as well as the first LS400.
Old 06-16-05, 05:43 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
Well when you're paid by someone...you'll write anything to please them.

Infiniti has been trying to catch up and follow Lexus in the market for years. Infiniti lost when the 1st gen "Flagship" Q45 didn't sell as well as the first LS400.
Aw, c'mon............they're not "paid"; they just like to sell lots of ads. Seriously, MT is notorious for their pandering; witness some of their COTY selections: PT Cruiser, 300M, this year the new 300............they did pick the G35 last year or the year before.
Old 06-16-05, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mooretorque
Aw, c'mon............they're not "paid"; they just like to sell lots of ads. Seriously, MT is notorious for their pandering; witness some of their COTY selections: PT Cruiser, 300M, this year the new 300............they did pick the G35 last year or the year before.
The worst was the Ford Thunderbird. That was just obvious that they were told to pick that one.

I canceled them awhile ago, they are not credible anymore, I think C Van Tune left. Every freaking month, the acceleration times increase. If you want your car to do 0-60 in 5 seconds, call Motor Trend.

Originally Posted by Xenthar
Good review. It gave the pluses of both cars, but in the end, they felt the M was better
This is the summary.
For the buyer in search of a great looking, dependable sedan with superb fit and finish and reassuring driving characteristics, the new GS is a sound choice. Based on recent experience, it's likely the Lexus will retain excellent resale value as well. But if you're seeking a true driver's car that encourages you to make excuses to hop behind the wheel to look for the long way home, the M45 is the right choice here.

So tell me how that is choosing one over the other?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=motor+trend

This is a repost, the other thread got closed...

Old 06-17-05, 05:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I canceled them awhile ago, they are not credible anymore,
Motor Trend never was credible, IMO. You notice I rarely post any of their stuff. They have picked some real junk, quality-wise, over the years as " Car of the Year "...stuff like the Omni / Horizon, GM X-Bodies, Volare / Aspen, AMC Eagle, etc.....
Now, these cars WERE significant additions to the auto market in what they pioneered.....especially the Eagle with its car-based AWD technology and viscous center differential that in many ways was 15-20 years befors its time......but ALL of them literally spent more time in the shop than out. I know.........I owned several of them.
Old 06-17-05, 06:38 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bean

throughout the article they are describing "shortcomings" as actual aspects of being a luxury car... you WANT it to be quiet, you want it to be snug, etc... Lexus makes luxury vehicles and still hasnt really tried to make a real sports sedan... calling out problems that would definitely be problems in a sports sedan, but since its a luxury car its not

I think the IS350 or IS460 would be a better comparison vs the M since Lexus never set out to make the GS a sports sedan which Infiniti obviously did

I saw my FIRST M45 the other day at a gas station... some older lady (50+) driving it... I've seen 4-5 new GS, with 2 of them being the GS430... the M looks like an Altima in person, in fact thats what I thought it was at first... there's no mistaking the new GS for anything
Ill have to disagree here the pure luxory car would be the LS430 the GS430 like the M does indeed have some degree of sport, and a IS350 vs a M45 would be an a missmatch better suited to go against a G35 imo.

And they get better times probably due to the fact that this people do anything possible to get the best possible times out of a stock car like any REAL car enthusiast taking it to a strip would. Ie dropping the clutch and feathering the throttle at whatever rpm is optimum for the run and possibly fiddling with the stock tires pressure and maybe not running on a full tank of gas and brake torqueing the automatic car as much as possible. I dont believe they fudge their numbers but I do believe that their drivers get consistent better times then some publications like car and driver for example.

Last edited by Inabj2; 06-17-05 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-17-05, 04:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
I dont believe they fudge their numbers but I do believe that their drivers get consistent better times then some publications like car and driver for example.
Depends on who at C&D you are talking about...........Brock Yates can be a real tiger sometimes. He is one of the wildest guys in the automotive press. Patrick Bedard, Csaba Csere, John Phillips.....they are all tame by comparison, even though Bedard has actually driven Indy racing cars in formal competition before.
Old 06-17-05, 07:10 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by mooretorque
I actually think Motor Trend was a great publication back in the days of C. Van Tune Ed.-in-chief and Petersen publications. Now that Primedia took over, they screwed it all up. Don't forget, Motor Trend back in Feb 1998, crowned the 1998 GS400/300 Import Car of the Year.
Old 06-17-05, 07:51 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Problem is, the system apparently sees the 12-inch-tall rubber cones we use to mark our figure-eight and slalom courses as impending collisions, turning a light brake tap into a full-on near-ABS threshold panic stop and nearly strangling the driver in the process. Notes senior road-test editor Chris Walton, "buried deep inside the GS 430 is a great car; we just can't find it."

Exactly what I don't need, a vehicle which assumes and thinks what I may or may not want to do. I already have someone who does that, "A WIFE". That is too much interference for me. I remember reading a complaint about unattentional panic stops by some 06 GS because of the radar miss read situations. Have anyone heard this? I was on a news article on the net but I can't seem to find it again. Has anyone had that problem here?
Old 06-17-05, 08:02 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Hmmm this brings us back to the...go test drive it and see if you like it first hand. Don't let a magazine article dictate your decision in car buying. Because ultimately, you will not be slaloming through cones to get the fastest time and highest speed during your morning commute.
Old 06-17-05, 11:20 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Ill have to disagree here the pure luxory car would be the LS430 the GS430 like the M does indeed have some degree of sport, and a IS350 vs a M45 would be an a missmatch better suited to go against a G35 imo.
I disagree, the GS is still a very-much luxury car.... it is not a sports sedan... end of story
the GS has more sport than the LS yes... but it still has FAR MORE luxury than the M does... it was never built to compete with that car... all the problems described of the GS were not problems if you look at it in the correct class...
its like taking a dumptruck to an auto-x course and saying how pointless a dumptruck is... well of course its pointless on an auto-x course!!! but when you want to haul a helluva lot of dirt; you use a dumptruck and it works VERY well

I think the IS350 vs the G35 would be a GREAT comparison... I wonder how the lighterweight, bigger horsepowered IS350 would run when compared to the heavier 280hp Avalon that runs nearly 100mph traps

But I was referring to the IS460 when it comes out... V8 sports sedan vs V8 sports sedan... let's have it out and see who wins shall we?

Last edited by Bean; 06-17-05 at 11:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Motortrend M45 VS GS430