Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Lincoln Zephyr pricing set at $29,995

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-05, 04:41 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Thumbs down 2006 Lincoln Zephyr pricing set at $29,995

DETROIT -- Lincoln's 2006 Zephyr, which Ford Motor Co. hopes will lure younger buyers to its U.S. luxury brand, will have a base sticker price of $29,995, including shipping, Lincoln announced Thursday.

The Zephyr goes on sale in the fall.

The five-passenger mid-size sedan is Lincoln's attempt to attract drivers in their mid 30s. Its average customer is considerably older.

"The Zephyr makes the Lincoln brand more relevant to a new generation of younger customers who are ready to move to a luxury vehicle," Al Giombetti, Lincoln Mercury's president, said in a statement.

Powered by a 3.0 liter V-6 engine, the front-wheel-drive Zephyr has a highway fuel economy in the upper 20s, the automaker said. It also has a six-speed automatic transmission. Lincoln will offer 3.5 liter V-6 and all-wheel drive versions next year.

The Zephyr has six premium options, including a moonroof, navigation system and chrome wheels, that could raise the price to $35,575, including shipping.

The sedan, built on a version of the Mazda6 platform, will be manufactured with the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan in Hermosillo, Mexico.

Lincoln has sold 51,667 vehicles through May, a 7.4 percent drop from 2004's five-month performance, according to the Automotive News Data Center.
http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=12597
Old 06-16-05, 05:11 PM
LexFather

That thing won't convince current 3/G35/Tl/IS owners let alone the new 3 and IS. They are nuts.

Old 06-16-05, 05:12 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Overpriced, way underpowered & it's a Ford! Need I say more?
Old 06-16-05, 08:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Yes, I too do believe that if they want to be one of the front runners in the luxo category again, then they need to boost the power, features, and argueably a more catchy design.

However on the defense of the new Lincoln( I dont know why Im defending it, I personally dont like it at all), cars such as the CTS, A4, upcoming IS250, current IS300, 9-3, X-type, TSX, 325i, S40, and etc all have lower standard HP and some even have a shorter standard equipment list(plus they all have record sales this year minus the X-type and outgoing IS300). But one major thing the Lincoln is missing is RWD. And that might be a major killer.
Old 06-16-05, 08:25 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Heres a more detailed press release.

DEARBORN , Mich. , June 16, 2005 – Lincoln Mercury today announced pricing for the all-new 2006 Lincoln Zephyr, a mid-size, five-passenger luxury sedan joining Lincoln 's lineup in the fall of 2005. The 2006 Zephyr features a starting manufacturers suggested retail price (MSRP) of $29,995 and comes loaded with a number of premium standard features.

With the all-new 2006 Lincoln Zephyr, Lincoln will introduce an entirely new generation of consumers to the qualities that have made Lincoln a classic American luxury marque for more than 70 years. Zephyr has a bold and distinctive exterior design – a rich, inviting interior with high-quality materials and a confident, luxurious driving character.

"The new Zephyr is all about accessible luxury," says Al Giombetti, Lincoln Mercury president. "The Zephyr makes the Lincoln brand more relevant to a new generation of younger customers who are ready to move to a luxury vehicle."

Zephyr is designed to deliver a comfortable ride and excellent driver response. Its suspension is designed to absorb more of the harshness of daily driving before it can reach the passenger compartment. Standard 17-inch tires with a wide P225/50 profile, power rack-and-pinion steering, a fully independent suspension, thicker front door glass and advanced door seals have been engineered and tuned with an emphasis on comfort, quietness and confident handling.

In addition to its attainable price, Zephyr features a full complement of standard premium equipment along with only six options, making the Zephyr easy to order for customers and dealers.

Major standard equipment includes a 221 horsepower 3.0L DOHC 24-valve V-6 engine with 6-speed automatic transmission; 17-inch machined aluminum wheels; anti-lock braking (ABS); traction assist; side air bags and side air curtains; a luxurious and stylish interior featuring dark ebony or light maple wood, leather and satin nickel trim; AM/FM stereo with six-disc CD/MP3 player with six speakers; intermittent speed-sensitive windshield wipers; dual-zone climate control; driver-memory leather seating surfaces; front center console with adjustable armrest; universal garage door opener; power adjustable, driver-memory heated exterior mirrors with puddle lamps; tilt and telescoping steering wheel with redundant audio and climate controls; heated, 10-way power driver and passenger seats with power lumbar and recline; new projector-beam headlamps and LED taillights; and rear-seat reading lights.

The six available options include:

Industry-exclusive THX II-Certified ® audio system featuring 14 speakers – ten primary speakers deliver surround sound; two front and rear center-channel speakers add acoustical depth; and two subwoofers augmented by power amplifiers deliver deep, rich bass – and a quick-loading six-disc player compatible with normal audio, MP3 compressed or text format CDs ($995).
DVD-based navigation system on a single disc that features a sharp, 6.5-inch-wide screen and text-to-speech technology for travel directions aloud in English, Spanish or French. Includes THX II-Certified ® audio system as detailed above ($2,495).
High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps designed to produce more light, last longer and use less energy than typical incandescent headlamps ($495).
17-inch 8-spoke chrome wheels ($895).
Perforated premium leather cooled front seats ($495).
Power moonroof ($1,200).
The MSRP of a fully-loaded Zephyr featuring all available options is $35,575. All prices include destination and delivery.

The 2006 Lincoln Zephyr is one of the five new products Lincoln will introduce over four years and is part of the much larger transformation of the Lincoln showroom. "We're beginning a renaissance at Lincoln , and it starts with the Mark LT and Zephyr this year," says Giombetti.

Following this year's release of the Lincoln Mark LT luxury pickup and the new Lincoln Zephyr, the Lincoln Aviator will be introduced. Soon thereafter, two additional sedans will join the lineup. "With all the new products, we feel confident in our ability to grow Lincoln Mercury sales from 300,000 annually to 500,000 by the end of the decade," adds Giombetti
35K fully loaded and no Navi!!!!! OUCH!!!
Old 06-16-05, 09:58 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If it's based on the Mazda 6, why does this remind me of a Volvo?

Particularly from the rear . . . ? Wishful thinking?

Interior looks like someone was having a sale on brushed aluminum (OK, "nickel").

Instruments must be all but invisible to the elder demographic . .
Old 06-16-05, 10:01 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs down

Looks like the new VW Jetta with 'piles' at the back!
Old 06-16-05, 10:06 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

I knew it was ugly, but DAMN!! That thig is hideous. Its crazy how much better the concept version looked. I found the concpet to look extremely attractive, especially in person.
Old 06-16-05, 10:07 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the Fusion is a prettier car.
Old 06-17-05, 03:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Interior IMO looks pretty classy with both the wood and brushed-metal ( I am a big fan of using them both )....although a 3-spoke steering wheel would look better. However, I've seen cars before....like the Chrysler 300C...whose interior that looked great in photos and turned out in person to be just cheap, flimsy stuff superficially coated with glitz. Given that this car is not meant to be a hard-edged sport-sedan, I see nothing wrong with FWD and 221 HP. The exterior is too plain for a Lincoln, though...it needs at least a little more chrome. Lincoln does not have a good track record of making reliable products lately.........only time will tell with this one.
Old 06-17-05, 05:37 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The concept looked pretty nice the production model just doesn't look as good...I don't think the price is so-so bad. I think the IS 350 will cost more than this.
Old 06-17-05, 05:56 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
i think the Fusion is a prettier car.
Yes the fusion is much nicer than the old POS of a car! That thing is UGALY!! And yes it cost too much and is way underpowered with the V6. I tell you if Ford doesn't so something outstanding, I don't know how much longer they will be around.
Old 06-17-05, 09:42 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the LS replacement?
Either way they should've never dropped the Continental. That was their money maker.
I still find it hilarious that I still blow right by MKs and Eldos.
Old 06-17-05, 11:26 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me it's more of a competitor to the ES rather than the G, 3 or IS.
Old 06-17-05, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Either way they should've never dropped the Continental. That was their money maker.
No....the Continental was NOT their money maker. If it was they would have kept it. The Navigator, by a large margin, is their main money-maker simply by the huge profit Lincoln makes on every one sold....and the good sales numbers.
The Continental and the Aviator just did not sell well, primarily because the last-generation Continental was simply a stretched version of the Taurus platform, rather poorly engineered with so-so quality control, did not really have the ride or quietness expected of a true luxury car, was almost universally panned in the auto press, and just never really appealed to the public. The Aviator did not do well because it was almost identical to the Navigator, looks and style-wise inside and out, but was MUCH smaller for only a few thousand dollars less and therefore not a good bargain. it was simply too expensive for its size, starting around $48,000....and the public knew it.
The Town Car and LS have both done well, although they generally appeal to different customers.

( P.S. I'm not trying to be rude to you if you owned a recent Continental. Please don't be offended if you get that impression, but I have to be honest in my postings...it had shortcomings and just did not appeal much to the public-at-large ).

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-17-05 at 03:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 2006 Lincoln Zephyr pricing set at $29,995