Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which drivetrain would I choose and why?
FWD is the way, I like to be pulled, its efficient
0%
RWD is the only way to go, its the pure way, what would Enzo do?
73.58%
AWD (any form) is heavy but the best of both worlds
26.42%
4 x 4, I have to have something that can truly go offroad
0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Its poll time!! Which drivetrain is for you!(FWD/RWD/AWD/4x4)?Please pick one

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-05, 03:11 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AWD. I've grown up around fast/muscle cars, always RWD, but I've had this want to own AWD cars, especially with the torrential downpours and generally foul weather we get around here. If it adds weight, I'll just get a lighter car.

James
Old 06-17-05, 03:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jet864
AWD. I've grown up around fast/muscle cars, always RWD, but I've had this want to own AWD cars, especially with the torrential downpours and generally foul weather we get around here. If it adds weight, I'll just get a lighter car.

James
In a pinch, you could do without AWD in the generally mild Seattle climate. But.....as you note, though.....and as I posted earlier......AWD will be more sure-footed in Seattle's rains. And if you drive inland to the Cascades, you do get snow there and the AWD will be handy.
Old 06-17-05, 05:35 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Rather be pushed then pulled!
Old 06-18-05, 04:34 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
FWD

RWD

AWD

4x4

I wanna try that with my SC300! !

For a million dollars.
Old 06-18-05, 04:44 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lil4X
AWD - As exotic cars are now available with blinding quantities of motive power, AWD systems conveniently solve the problem of applying that power to the pavement for the all-out sports-racer. For the "gentleman's express" who appreciates swift, stable, un-fussy transport, and the soft-roader who occasionally ventures off the blacktop, AWD is the drivetrain of choice.

RWD is fine for drifters, but they're not seeking the quickest way around the course, for them it's all about wheelspin. RWD is also great for entry-level sports cars that can produce a cheap thrill ride, or pickups, and many other commercial vehicles that have to deal with a variable load and bottom-line ruggedness and economy.

FWD works well where packaging is the primary concern, and it provides a somewhat safer, alternative to RWD and a more economical choice over AWD, Family sedans and minivans come to mind.

4X4 is great off road, but useless on pavement unless you like rebuilding transfer cases. It's remarkable how many pieces a drive chain can be ground into. The trick with a 4X4 is knowing when to engage it - after you're in the soft stuff, and before you are well and truly stuck. And don't forget to lock the hubs. Yes, automatic locks fail more often than you'd believe . . .

I have to disagree here to some extent a properly tuned rwd vehicle will still be one of the quickest vehicles around a course, there a reason why the ultimate race cars are rwd. Also a rwd car will generally have nearly half the drive train power loss then a awd car would, so in a long straight where hp to the wheel can win the race this is a factor as well. (although a fwd theoritically should lose even less power but the diference between a fwd and rwd is probably neglible.)

I preffer a rwd car and I am no drifter nor do I try to be one... Although I have friends that are.
Old 06-18-05, 01:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Inabj2
there a reason why the ultimate race cars are rwd.
I preffer a rwd car and I am no drifter nor do I try to be one... Although I have friends that are.
You are very wise not to try that crap on public roads.

One of the main reasons race cars have RWD is that most........in fact virtually all.........of IRL, Champ Car, and F1 cars have the engine behind the driver. But there is little or no direct comparison between these cars and street cars because the huge wings and airdams on these cars give them tremendous downforce and in effect turn them into reverse airplanes.
You are also dealing wih tires much wider than on any street car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-18-05 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-18-05, 02:10 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

AWD, but only cuz of the intense winters chicago has seen....otherwise, RWD all the way!
Old 06-18-05, 02:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

While the poll results put RWD substantially out in front, looks like the actual thread responses are pretty much divided between RWD and AWD. In some ways it gets back to my first recommendation for the rough dividing line for RWD / AWD being from VA to OK to northern CA.
Old 06-18-05, 05:40 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You are very wise not to try that crap on public roads.

One of the main reasons race cars have RWD is that most........in fact virtually all.........of IRL, Champ Car, and F1 cars have the engine behind the driver. But there is little or no direct comparison between these cars and street cars because the huge wings and airdams on these cars give them tremendous downforce and in effect turn them into reverse airplanes.
You are also dealing wih tires much wider than on any street car.
... Most my buddies go to Us drift events and other drift events and etc etc, ussually on PIR (phoenix international Raceway) main track. Sometimes Firebird is used though.
Old 06-18-05, 07:07 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I voted RWD... but now I started thinking about some of the launches I have seen Evo's and STi's do at the track... and Im starting to wonder!

But I really do love the handling characteristics of a RWD with suspension mods through some turns. Yeah, Im going to stick with RWD- launches are cool- but I really like the way my car enters, exits, and feels throughout a nice sweeping left, or a quick fast right
Old 06-19-05, 03:10 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

You forgot a few

Mid Engine, Rear Drive
Rear Engine, Rear Drive

For a true PURE sports car, the car should be MR, RR, or FR. FR gets my vote, with MR being a close second.

The only time AWD can be competitive is when more of the power is distributed to the rear wheels.

AWD for the common car is for wannabes. :flamesuit on: Theres nothing more aggravating than seeing young punk kids driving new WRX's and EVO's thinking they've got some kind of racecar. The torque split on those cars stock favors a more FWD bias :yuck: AWD for production cars is usually for stability and safety. No one ever said driving a real sports car would ever be a casual affair

FWD is very respectable, and smaller compact sized cars can do well with a FWD layout. On smaller wheelbase, lightweight vehicles, the benefits of RWD are slim to none.

Any naysayers to FWD should pay attention to SCCA Touring Car Championship, arguably one of the most competitive series in the US; second to GT, where Peter Cunningham and several other FWD platform drivers have dominated the series for several years which includes RWD and AWD platforms.

For non racing use, and simply daily driving or grocery getting, any drivetrain should do.

Last edited by MikeFD3S; 06-19-05 at 03:14 AM.
Old 06-19-05, 10:16 PM
TSXtacy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RWD, can't emphasize how much, we all know the reasons . AWD or FWD would be nice as an everyday car, but I'd still go RWD if I had only 1 car option.