Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which drivetrain would I choose and why?
FWD is the way, I like to be pulled, its efficient
0%
RWD is the only way to go, its the pure way, what would Enzo do?
73.58%
AWD (any form) is heavy but the best of both worlds
26.42%
4 x 4, I have to have something that can truly go offroad
0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Its poll time!! Which drivetrain is for you!(FWD/RWD/AWD/4x4)?Please pick one

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-05, 08:12 PM
LexFather

Default Its poll time!! Which drivetrain is for you!(FWD/RWD/AWD/4x4)?Please pick one

Alright in this poll, we are going to choose which drivetrain, if you could only have one, would you choose. My pick is RWD, its the purist way, lighter than AWD and just fun, fun fun as well as luxurious.

What do you pick?

Old 06-16-05, 08:26 PM
LexFather

FWD

RWD

AWD

4x4

Old 06-16-05, 08:38 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Well, I never had extended seat time in any RWD car(I know, I'm a deprived child), so my only extended experiences are with FWD and AWD, and I truely love AWD. Being in the Northeast, you can really enjoy the traction it provides during the winter months. Its a nice happy medium and many AWD cars out today proved themselves to capable or even more capable as some RWD cars(obviously going from hearsay). So my vote is AWD, but my next car will be RWD because I need to experience the characteristics for myself.
Old 06-16-05, 10:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

to me rwd is whta i would want
Old 06-16-05, 10:16 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i currently own the last car shown in sickle's pix.

it's bad-***. full-time 4WD...so it's pretty much AWD with a selectable low range. :

but in a sedan...living in cali. RWD is plenty grippy.
Old 06-16-05, 10:31 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RWD all the way!!

~Josh
Old 06-17-05, 04:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You didn't set the poll up this way, but I would generally recommend RWD south of a line from roughly VA to OK to northern CA and AWD north of that line, with some local variations in climate like in mountainous southern regions or mild-climate northern areas like Seattle. My own opinion is that the weight, drag, and complexity of AWD are worth it in many areas....and, while not needed as much, it gives more sure-footedness even in rain and on dry pavement.

Note that Colorado...with the highest average altitude and the highest mountains in the country outside of Alaska.....is literally crawling with Subarus. So is mountainous northern New England.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-17-05 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-17-05, 04:17 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

RWD all the way. I personally don't find the argument for AWD convincing enough. AWD is only good for starting to move from a stop forwards or backwards.

An AWD vehicle (and any other drive - FWD, RWD etc) becomes no-wheel drive when you are slowing down and your foot is off the gas pedal (and applying the brakes), turning etc. when traction is even more crucial.

A much better combination is RWD with some sticky winter tires. Not only do the winter tires help you when you are applying the brakes, but they are also of great benefit when turning. Traction is the key here, not the configuration of the drive train. This gives you the best of both worlds - less weight, less complexity, less drag, excellent traction (as the weight of the car shifts backwards when you accelerate forwards - of course this argument has little effect if the car is very nose heavy).
Old 06-17-05, 04:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
RWD all the way.

A much better combination in winter conditions is RWD with some sticky winter tires. Not only do the winter tires help you when you are applying the brakes, but they are also of great benefit when turning. Traction is the key here, not the configuration of the drive train.
Using this line of thought, in winter conditions FWD / winter tire combo would be even better...unless you spend a lot of time on dry pavement. In most (not all) front-engine cars...pretty much the norm outside of Porsches and a few others, in slippery conditions FWD, with the weight of the engine over the drive wheels, will give you much better start-up traction.

Granted, there are a few front-engine cars with virtually perfect 50/50 weight distribution and that clouds the issue a little bit.

RWD does have advantages, though...for towing, powerslides (which of course should not be done on public roads anyway) , and ease of service / repairs. And...something interesing. While most FWD cars track straighter than rear-drivers from the gyro-stabilizing effect of the front spinning drive shafts, my RWD IS300 tracks as straight as any FWD I have ever driven.

My next car, though, will probably be AWD.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-17-05 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-17-05, 05:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

RWD for a sporty car, but I won't mind AWD for a sedan, I live up a hill, & we do have a couple days of snow per year here.
Old 06-17-05, 07:15 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AWD. My reason is with today's computer controlled AWD cars, you can get the best of both worlds. Soon, we will be able to see any bias between full FWD is you wanted it, 50/50 split AWD, and full RWD and anything in between. The computer will be able to put 100% to the rear wheels if needed, and opporate in AWD when needed. The aftermarket probably will come out with controllers so the user can dial it in anyway he wants and even have user presets. Sort of like what we have with air suspension controllers now. Weight in the future will not be a problem as new exotic materials used on expensive and exotic cars will be cheaper and be more common.
Old 06-17-05, 08:34 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default "There are horses for courses . . ."

AWD - As exotic cars are now available with blinding quantities of motive power, AWD systems conveniently solve the problem of applying that power to the pavement for the all-out sports-racer. For the "gentleman's express" who appreciates swift, stable, un-fussy transport, and the soft-roader who occasionally ventures off the blacktop, AWD is the drivetrain of choice.

RWD is fine for drifters, but they're not seeking the quickest way around the course, for them it's all about wheelspin. RWD is also great for entry-level sports cars that can produce a cheap thrill ride, or pickups, and many other commercial vehicles that have to deal with a variable load and bottom-line ruggedness and economy.

FWD works well where packaging is the primary concern, and it provides a somewhat safer, alternative to RWD and a more economical choice over AWD, Family sedans and minivans come to mind.

4X4 is great off road, but useless on pavement unless you like rebuilding transfer cases. It's remarkable how many pieces a drive chain can be ground into. The trick with a 4X4 is knowing when to engage it - after you're in the soft stuff, and before you are well and truly stuck. And don't forget to lock the hubs. Yes, automatic locks fail more often than you'd believe . . .
Old 06-17-05, 09:43 AM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RWD is the most compramised of all the designs. Unless you live in the southern states, you can't drive them year around without scaring yourself everytime a snow storm hits. FWD is the most efficient. 4X4 is the least efficient for eveyday uses. AWD is the best of everything for track or street. Even a Z06 will have problems with a suped up EVO or STI at the track or on dry road. No ones been able to convince me that RWD has much benefits besides harcore track uses. Even then you still have to wonder since those 50/50 BMWs can't seem to win over those poorly balanced FWD Integra Type-Rs in SPEEDVISION races.
Old 06-17-05, 10:08 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

AWD with rear bias (or, as CK6 pointed out, computer controlled open electronic diffs in which drive bias can be varied). Most AWD systems currently in use inevitably produce understeer at the limit since the friction circle for the front tires is compromised by having to produce yaw forces as well as forward acceleration. But with variable systems, this does not have to be the case.

We get enough rain here in Arkansas that AWD is desireable; wifey's RXs have both been AWD for that reason, and both felt as if they were on rails in the rain!!!
Old 06-17-05, 11:08 AM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
RWD all the way!!

~Josh
I second that!

Quick Reply: Its poll time!! Which drivetrain is for you!(FWD/RWD/AWD/4x4)?Please pick one