Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 US Limited Edition Subaru Legacy Spec B Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-05, 01:36 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When is this car appearing in the US? The sedan version...
Old 06-18-05, 07:19 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A TRUE auto enthusiast....you know automotive class and quality when you see it.
The interior on the Legacy / Outback in both silver/black and taupe silver / wood trim versions is just a jewel, isn't it?

I test-drove a 3.0 H-6 Outback L.L Bean today ( had the afternoon off ). 250 HP, 219 ft.lbs. torque. Engine smoother and quieter than the 2.5 H-4......and the automatic has one more gear..... but despite the numbers did not feel like that much more torque than the normally aspirated 2.5's 166 ft.-lbs....and you have to use expensive premium fuel. The Turbo 2.5 H-4 in the Legacy GT and Turbo Outbacks ( 250 HP, 250 ft.lbs. torque ) definitely provides more kick....but, like the H-6, at the cost of both lower mileage and more expensive fuel, and the added stress of the turbo boost pressure in an engine block that has had a known history of weak head gaskets.....one of of few Subaru reliability problems along with the Sti's clutch and the rear wheel bearings on some older Foresters.

are u sure about this? having had subarus in the family since 1985, and this is what i know of...

- the early wrx/sti's that were available overseas before we got them here did not have adequate bracing of the water jackets which caused failure under high boost.
- the non-turbo ej25 head gasket failures on the phase1 DOHC motors (which are no longer in production since around 2000)
- the STi clutch has no issues, but the normal WRX one does for cold clutch shudder
- the wheel bearings... that applies to pretty much all subarus. a mechanic told me it was because they were undersized and heat from the brakes caused premature failure, but i don't quite understand how that works. incidentally they increased the size of the wheel bearings on the latest STi, which caused the bolt pattern to go from 5x100 to 5x114.3 because of larger hubs needed to accomodate them.
Old 06-18-05, 11:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
well...it looks like Subaru will be putting out the sexiest station wagon out in the market.
Arguably.......along with the Dodge Magnum.
Old 06-18-05, 11:56 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Arguably.......along with the Dodge Magnum.
...when only the exterior counts.
Old 06-18-05, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
are u sure about this? having had subarus in the family since 1985, and this is what i know of...

- the early wrx/sti's that were available overseas before we got them here did not have adequate bracing of the water jackets which caused failure under high boost.
- the non-turbo ej25 head gasket failures on the phase1 DOHC motors (which are no longer in production since around 2000)
- the STi clutch has no issues, but the normal WRX one does for cold clutch shudder
- the wheel bearings... that applies to pretty much all subarus. a mechanic told me it was because they were undersized and heat from the brakes caused premature failure, but i don't quite understand how that works. incidentally they increased the size of the wheel bearings on the latest STi, which caused the bolt pattern to go from 5x100 to 5x114.3 because of larger hubs needed to accomodate them.

I'm going by a combination of Consumer Reports, auto magazine 4-season testing, J.D. Power data, the experience of those I know who have owned Subarus ( obviously you have quite a bit ), and other sources....including Subaru forums. The wheel bearing problems that I have seen info on seem relegated mostly to Foresters. The 2.5 H-4's had weak head gaskets for several years because the block was originaly 2.2L and when Subaru enlarged it to 2.5L the added power placed more stress on them, with a higher failure rate. Subaru now has a cooling-system conditioner that when used warrants the 1999-2002 (Phase II) 2.5 engine head gaskets...the most troublesome ones....to 8 yr /100,000 miles. Unfortunately, they never did extend the warranty on the Phase I engines.
Some (as you point out, not all) of the WRX / Sti problems have simply been from hard use...and abuse. The people that buy them drive them extremely hard.
Other than this, I have no reason to doubt anything you say...you apparantly have a lot of experience with Subarus.
Old 06-19-05, 08:03 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

My Forester is ridiculously jealous. As am I.
Old 06-19-05, 08:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

That sedan and wagon are awesome!

I do have thing for Subarus though having owned a Legacy wagon a few years ago. It was wonderfully reliable and a BARGAIN.

1SickLex - if you jump ship you could a lot worse than getting one of these!!!! And their AWD system is a lot of fun.
Old 06-20-05, 06:24 AM
PaqZa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a LGT sedan currently. I've had it since March. Awesome fun. At this point, the only thing I don't like about it is less than ideal brake feel and questionable selection of tires. The tires will get replaced, however. Actually, the tires in question are the Potenza RE92As, which you may recognize from the IS300. I will most likely get the ECU flashed and get a larger intercooler because the one in the thing currently is rather small. Engine operating temperatures in these Subaru turbo H-4s tend to be rather high.

It's a fun car and I saved plenty of money over some other AWD sport sedans, such as the 330xi and A4 quattro. I required the AWD because I live in Rochester, NY. It's been a good choice. It's actually really amusing because when people find out that I picked the Subaru, they give me that "Oh, I'm sorry you lost your job." sort of look. Then they drive it. After that, it's and .