Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 US Limited Edition Subaru Legacy Spec B Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-05, 01:03 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2006 US Limited Edition Subaru Legacy Spec B Sedan

This is one great looking vehicle!!!

Last edited by robloc93; 06-17-05 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-17-05, 01:07 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sexy rims.........

not sure about the red leather and all...but the new legacy is quite a car.
Old 06-17-05, 02:18 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely LOVE the new Legacy. Matter of fact, if I could have 1 car under $50k, it would be a GT wagon, I love those things. Is the Spec B the model that comes with the H-6, 6 cylinder (3.0) found in the Outback, or is it a tuned version of the 2.5GT?

James
Old 06-17-05, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jet864
I absolutely LOVE the new Legacy. Matter of fact, if I could have 1 car under $50k, it would be a GT wagon, I love those things.

James
A TRUE auto enthusiast....you know automotive class and quality when you see it.
The interior on the Legacy / Outback in both silver/black and taupe silver / wood trim versions is just a jewel, isn't it?

I test-drove a 3.0 H-6 Outback L.L Bean today ( had the afternoon off ). 250 HP, 219 ft.lbs. torque. Engine smoother and quieter than the 2.5 H-4......and the automatic has one more gear..... but despite the numbers did not feel like that much more torque than the normally aspirated 2.5's 166 ft.-lbs....and you have to use expensive premium fuel. The Turbo 2.5 H-4 in the Legacy GT and Turbo Outbacks ( 250 HP, 250 ft.lbs. torque ) definitely provides more kick....but, like the H-6, at the cost of both lower mileage and more expensive fuel, and the added stress of the turbo boost pressure in an engine block that has had a known history of weak head gaskets.....one of of few Subaru reliability problems along with the Sti's clutch and the rear wheel bearings on some older Foresters.
Old 06-17-05, 03:15 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Robloc93
Where do I find out more about this car? Where did you get your pics? This car looks like it has a NAV? (I want that, HIDs, and stability control and I will definitely consider this car).
Old 06-17-05, 03:25 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

A good buddy of mine e-mailed them to me I had the same questions for him? I did a little research and came up empty but I know that the vehicle will be a U.S exclusive vehicle.Tomorrow I will post info and hopefully...prices
Old 06-17-05, 03:29 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

2 more pics,damn,I am really thinking about purchasing this car Especially the wagon.

Legacy Wagon Spec B

Legay Sedan Spec B

I found some info but it's in german.
http://www.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?ID=2181

Last edited by robloc93; 06-17-05 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-17-05, 03:38 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

From what I dug up online, the spec B will be available to both the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder variants. The 4 cylinder actually uses a 2.0L flat 4 like they use in Japan, however it has about 276hp opposed to Japan's 280, yes 280hp out of the 2.0L unit (maybe Japan's is measured in ps, so that would equal 276 hp anyway). It will have a new steering wheel, and the automatic versions come with shift buttons (similar to E Shift). The 3.0R Spec B, there is no bump in power. It retains the same 300hp from the 3.0L flat six but it receives the STi derived 6 speed manual transmission as well as some other sporty bits. Think of Spec B as the sporty cousin to the base Legacy and Legacy GT.

James
Old 06-17-05, 03:40 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

found this ,thanx for the info jet864
Subaru Legacy GT Spec B
Think of it as a larger WRX STi

By Paul Hansen
Photography: Paul Hansen

The new Subaru Legacy GT Spec B is powered by a 276-hp single twin-scroll turbocharged and intercooled 2.0-liter flat-four. No, it's not yet sold in America, but we hear it will be in 2005.

The GT Spec B receives a more aggressive front bumper than the standard Legacy and significant aerocladding underneath. Inside, a driver-oriented cockpit features a small, sporty airbag-equipped three-spoke MOMO steering wheel similar to the new WRX STi. Both 4AT and 5AT sport models are blessed with tiptronic-style upshift/downshift buttons on the steering wheel.

Sponsored Links
Subaru Air Suspension
Solving Air Suspension Problems on Subaru Legacy and Impreza
www.strutmasters.com
Supercharge Your Subaru
Up to 35 HP and a lifetime warranty $69.95 for any Subaru
www.Turbonator.com
2005 Subaru Selldown
Impreza, Live life in the fast lane 2005 Imprezza Liquidation
www.subaru.com

Inside, the tachometer and speedometer are equally emphasized, clear and informative with a subdued classy style. Seating is top-notch, managing to coddle you on long trips while giving you a measure of control while canyon carving. Hurtling the car around Fuji International, however, reveals the car exhibits higher limits than the side bolstering.

Handling is far more neutral than most Subaru's of late. A quick 15:1 steering ratio matches up well with the smaller three-spoke steering wheel, a combination that enables quick reflexes. When you enter the corner at speed, there's a tiny bit of initial resistence that transforms into eye-opening amounts of turn-in through to apex. There's even some throttle-on oversteer on tap if you keep on the gas, allowing you to steer through the apex with all four tires howling as you power-drift on through.

The front MacPherson strut suspension is nearly identical to the Spec C STi, with significant strengthening around the wheelwell and the same forged-aluminum lower-arm, and even more caster than the Spec C STi. The rear continues with the multi-link, but this is a brand-new version that features a hefty forged one-piece aluminum trailing arm and hub carrier for vastly improved resistance to changes in toe. The upper link is also forged aluminum, and suspension hard points have been totally revamped.

The suspension is helped by 18-inch wheels and Bridgestone RE050A rubber - of Ferrari Enzo fame - with the rubber compound tuned for the Legacy. Although the Legacy's 2.0-liter bears a strong resemblance to the 2.5-liter STi motor on paper, it's in fact the motor STi appropriated for the WRX STi 8 (not sold in America). And it makes the same amount of horsepower as that car, but not quite the same amount of torque -250 lb-ft vs. 285 lb-ft.

Initially, the Subaru higher-ups had doubts that a single turbo setup could offer the low-end torque of the sequential twin-turbo setup used in top-line Legacys since 1993. But Kazuharu Ichikawa, a manager in the Engine Design Department, felt it could, and then proved it with the development of a twin-scroll EJ20 2.0-liter for the Legacy. Quick spool up was further enhanced by a new, specially designed 4-2 exhaust manifold.

To reduce weight, plastics make up the unique intake manifold and the intercooler end-tanks. The intercooler is a high-flow unit, smaller and angled for maximum efficiency with the hood scoop. Manual transmission models weigh 22 lbs less than a WRX STi, though the Spec B variant weighs 22 lbs more thanks to the heavier wheels, tires and brakes.

Throttle response is amazing thanks to the high-response turbo system and a dual-mass flywheel. Extra-strength engine and transmission mounts help get the power to the wheels.

The braking system has also been whacked with a very big performance stick. Similar to the STi is the ABS with EBD to keep things straight, and also similar to the STi on the Spec C is the huge ventilated brake rotors in the front. Along with that is a much larger and far more rigid 2-pot sliding caliper clamping down some rather large brake pads. Rear ventilated disk/one-pot sliding caliper finish off the job in the rear. All that translated into intense, fade-free stops even after several laps around the track.

Fundamental changes is an apt phrase for this car. Subaru made the decision to abandon the old and come out with something new from the ground up. This is a very important car for Subaru, literally it's future here in Japan and overseas. They went for a big roll of the dice here. We'd say they won this dice roll, and won it in a big way.

Old 06-17-05, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jet864
From what I dug up online, the spec B will be available to both the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder variants.

James
Try this site:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/

It is a good forum dedicated to the Subary Legacy and Outback.
Old 06-17-05, 04:34 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So the NAVI system for Subaru is finally here? Yes!
Old 06-17-05, 04:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

That's pretty good
Old 06-17-05, 04:57 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enigma354
So the NAVI system for Subaru is finally here? Yes!
Not to mention it's touch screen-based. Yay.

Very upscale looking. I like it!
Old 06-17-05, 11:57 PM
LexFather

This is awesome we are getting it, this car is damn near perfect.

Old 06-18-05, 01:32 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

well...it looks like Subaru will be putting out the sexiest station wagon out in the market.

Quick Reply: 2006 US Limited Edition Subaru Legacy Spec B Sedan