Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Mazda MX-5 Spec Miata ..56k beware! Giant pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-05, 02:31 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2006 Mazda MX-5 Spec Miata ..56k beware! Giant pics

(from Mazda Press Release) On any given weekend, there are more Mazdas on the road-race tracks of America than any other brand of vehicle – and the venerable Mazda MX-5 Miata is the vehicle of choice. In fact, the fastest-growing road-racing class in the United States is the Sports Car Club of America’s (SCCA) Spec Miata class, with more than 1,000 identically prepared Miatas tearing up America’s racetracks.

Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today unveiled the next generation of Spec Miata at the New York International Auto Show.

"With the all-new 2006 Mazda MX-5 as a starting point, it was easy for us to create the fastest, best-handling and most comprehensively prepared Spec Miata yet," said Steve Sanders, manager, MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development. "The combination of a tuned suspension, a willing engine and consistent braking means Miatas always have made terrific racecars. With more grip, more power and more stopping ability, the new MX-5 is the perfect starting point to be the very best Miata racecar yet."

The Spec Miata series provides an affordable, entry-level nationwide class whereby amateur racing drivers can compete in inexpensive, identically prepared first- and second-generation Miatas. The greatest attraction of the series is that all regions of the country use similar rules and regulations, enabling drivers to compete nationally and always remain competitive. Components for the cars are sold directly through MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development (www.mazdaspeedmotorsports.com), which also supports the program monetarily with contingency awards to successful drivers.

The all-new 2006 MX-5 Miata is powered by a 2.0-liter four-cylinder MZR engine, derived from the powerplant used in the MAZDA and MAZDA . In stock trim, it produces 170-hp at 7000 rpm and a very flat and usable torque curve peaking at 140 lb-ft. at 5000 rpm.

To turn the new MX-5 into a racecar, MAZDASPEED turned to a number of respected suppliers and partners, and the build-sheet reads like a who’s-who of the racing community:

ENGINE

Racing Beat stainless steel header and exhaust system

Idemitsu racing lubricants for engine, transmission and differential

SUSPENSION

Racing Beat swaybars
MAZDASPEED shock absorbers
MAZDASPEED springs
Racing Hart wheels, sized 18 x 7.5 inches
Hankook Ventus DOT-legal racing tires, shaved to racing depth

INTERIOR/SAFETY

AWR custom-designed and fabricated six-point rollcage

AiM Sports MXL Pista custom dash display and data-logger

Sparco racing seat

Sparco steering wheel

Sparco six-point racing harness

Maziora custom-blended paint from Nippon Paint

Mother’s polishes and waxes

MAZDASPEED’s intention is to use this car as the prototype from which they will further develop the package of components that will transform the MX-5 for the 2006 season of a professional Spec Miata series. As testing continues, some of these parts may change as MAZDASPEED hones the car with the perfect combination of cost versus performance.

Often held in conjunction with SCCA professional road-racing events and sanctioned by SCCA Pro Racing, the current MAZDASPEED Miata Cup professional Spec Miata series is absolutely the least expensive way to participate in top-flight road racing in front of professional teams and large crowds.

Mazda North American Operations is responsible for the sales and marketing, consumer parts and service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States. Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., MNAO has more than 700 dealerships nationwide.

Old 06-17-05, 02:41 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still think them cutting the Miata name was dumb....
They want to be like the big cats and roll luxo style by renaming everything to letters and numbers. Still going to be a Miata...

The front isn't agressive enough for me. It looks too... cute...
Old 06-17-05, 05:37 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I still think them cutting the Miata name was dumb....
They want to be like the big cats and roll luxo style by renaming everything to letters and numbers. Still going to be a Miata...

The front isn't agressive enough for me. It looks too... cute...

Yeah, i agree with you. No matter what happens this car is still a chicks car (like the Jetta )
Old 06-17-05, 05:58 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

It's a Miata, I like the old style & name more.
Old 06-17-05, 05:59 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkGS3
Yeah, i agree with you. No matter what happens this car is still a chicks car (like the Jetta )
I actually have seen a good # of 45-55 year old males driving them.
Old 06-18-05, 01:11 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well......it's only been called the Miata only in the US. everywhere else it has been the MX-5.
Old 06-18-05, 04:48 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BlkGS3

A chick car that can hand you your *** maybe...

I cant help but pay respect to a fast car, and this is one fast car. (think outside the box of horsepower for a minute.)
Old 06-19-05, 01:04 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
A chick car that can hand you your *** maybe...

I cant help but pay respect to a fast car, and this is one fast car. (think outside the box of horsepower for a minute.)
Are you talking about how light it is? It's not as fast as I'd like it to be, my LS400 is faster than the Miata. Now if you added maybe 40 HP it would beat mine. So I really don't see what you are talking about right now. It gets to 60 MPH in 7.5 Seconds...the new one, and My LS400 gets there in just about 6.

Last edited by TJW98LS; 06-19-05 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-19-05, 02:44 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

I love Miatas, people shouldn't underestimate them until they drive one. Many a time will a spec miata pass or even lap a sportscar with higher horsepower on a road coarse. Miata is light, has ample power, and has EXCELLENT handling.

Thanks for sharing those pics, I especially like the 787B livery they put on that car.

Spec Miatas are wonderful (especially the latest model turbocharged ones) -- the car is basically stripped to a bare minimum-- no luxury amenities, no heavy add ons-- just the car, which is upgraded according to SCCA specs. The Spec Miatas are built to be competitive race cars out of the box.

A lot of people think Miatas are women's cars, but most of the owners are actually men, with a respectable portion of them being active SCCA members and true enthusiasts who actually race their cars (as opposed to bench racing and internet street racing). The Miata's home is not on a drag strip, not on the highway, but on a nice curvy road.

There much more to the world of driving than simply going in a straight line