Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Alpha Buyers Driving the Car Market - Enthusiasts drive more than cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-05, 05:42 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Alpha Buyers Driving the Car Market - Enthusiasts drive more than cars

Enthusiasts drive more than cars, a new survey finds.
by Paul A. Eisenstein (2005-06-20)

Dave Cohen is the ultimate automotive enthusiast. His garage is filled with some of the hottest cars on the market, from a BMW Alpina to a Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG. Bill Bryant, on the other hand, is still driving his 1992 Pontiac Bonneville. Yet the two have something significant in common: according to a new study by Forrester Research, they are both what you might call "alpha car buyers."

It's not just what they drive, it's how they can impact what their family, friends, and neighbors buy that matters most, explained Forrester senior analyst Mark Dixon Bunger. "They are the people who have undue influence over other car buyers."

Twenty-one percent of the folks Forrester surveyed described themselves as automotive enthusiasts, with nine percent checking the box for "strong enthusiast." They're the folks who can be found standing at the news racks checking out the latest car magazines, and searching out every link online.

Various studies show that the vast majority of American car buyers will use the Internet at some point during the purchase process, a relatively small number go the Web when they're not in the market. Alpha buyers are the exception, with 83 percent checking out car sites regularly.

And like the town criers and traveling minstrels of olden times, these alphas are quick to spread their knowledge, according to the Forrester report. In turn, the study showed that 67 percent of North American car buyers count on advice from friends as a somewhat to very important element in making their purchase decision.

Tell your friends

While not all alpha buyers have a garage full of cars, they do have some distinctive characteristics. For one thing, they tend to be "touchy/feely," and "talkers," said analyst Bunger. They're also "technology optimists," far more upbeat about the role technology plays in life than the general public.

And they use that technology actively. Alphas are far more likely to go to automotive Web sites than the general car-buying public. While alphas account for a fifth of the population, the data show they make up a third of the visitors to auto sites.

Surprisingly, the Forrester study shows that enthusiasts can be found in just about every demographic category, age, income, education, marital status. The big exception is gender. Only 26 percent of those who categorized themselves as enthusiasts were female - 11 percent of all those surveyed. But Bunger said he suspects that number has likely been growing over the years.

Dave Cohen's wife is a proud example. Lauren has her own automotive collection, including a Maserati Quattroporte, and is a regular attendee at classic car shows.

Male or female, alpha car buyers tend to be less price-sensitive than the typical car buyer, and more likely to choose a vehicle based on emotional, rather than rational reasons, according to Bunger. But while they may be willing to spend whatever it takes, that doesn't mean they aren't savvy shoppers. Quite the contrary: the Forrester study shows alphas are particularly sophisticated in tracking down rebates and getting the data they need to negotiate the best deal.

Leading the way

The study's message appears to be finding a receptive audience in the industry. Chrysler Group marketing guru Julie Roehm agreed, adding that talking "to this category of buyer is important to us in terms of (influencing) taste-makers and trend-setters."

Chrysler has been particularly successful at tapping into the alpha network, using it to help drive interest in new products, such as the 300C sedan, as well as the HEMI engine line. And the automaker is stepping up its efforts, especially online, where it is creating interactive "experience" sites, such as the Dodge brand's Jack's Garage.

Manufacturers who don't target alphas are making a major mistake emphasized Bunger. In an increasingly crowded automotive market, where it is harder and harder to stand out through traditional advertising, automakers will "have to get good at spotting these alphas," if they hope to build buzz.

source : thecarconnection

---------------------------------------------

I bet there are a few of them here
Old 06-21-05, 10:18 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shiznit.

what if you pretty much only sign up internet for car-related stuff, and ****?

even at work I'm on car websites 24/7, I printed out manual on installing my managment system so I coudl read it when on the crapper. Even when I'm intoxicated I could change spark plugs.