Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars you like(d), but hate to admit

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-05, 07:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That's the BMW Isetta, Mike. That car is just hilarious. Here is the website I keep on my own computer for that car. It has some good pictures and history.

http://www.cqql.net/bmw.htm

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-24-05 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-24-05, 08:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here are a couple of more cars that will have you busting out laughing....the Messerschmitt KR200 and the Corbin Sparrow.

http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/m...-kr200-bg.html

http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/corbin-sparrow.html
Old 06-24-05, 08:19 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya this is a good thread,

SOme cars I like are

1. Mercedes G wagon, Lil Kim drives one but I still want one lol.
2. Chrysler 300c, god it is a american car with so much sexiness
3. The Eclipse from F & F, so ricey yet so appealing.
Old 06-24-05, 08:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Ya this is a good thread,

SOme cars I like are

1. Mercedes G wagon, Lil Kim drives one but I still want one lol.
The G-wagon, in spite of its boxiness, is one of the few M-B products I actually have a lot of respect for. It clearly is not built for looks but for SOLIDNESS. It is one of the most tank-like vehicles I have seen in modern times. Shut the doors and they are literally like bank vaults.

Unfortunately, after some 25 years, M-B is getting ready to replace this vehicle with another one of its modern EL Cheapos.
Old 06-24-05, 08:54 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

1.) GMC Yukon Denali - horrible interior, thirsty, crude ... but this was the first SUV that blew me away - back late 1999 when the previous design got the axe; awesome style, decent price. I'd still take one in all black.
2.) Ford 500 - even though I'd never buy one, I love the exterior design - too bad it's so poorly assymbled.
3.) Chrysler 300C - like others have said, it's big, crude and thirsty, but it is appealing.
4.) Hyundai Sonata (previous generation) - I loved the exterior design; current gen is nice, but a little bland.
5.) Oldsmobile Aurora - I loved this car ... to be totally honest, I want a 2003 4.0L in the worst way.
6.) Saab 9-3 and 9-5 Aero sedans - I want both, bad. Something about the sheer and shameless impracticality of these cars is attractive to me.
7.) VW Phaeton - there's really no better luxury value out there - but to be seen driving a $50k VW ...
8.) Buick Regal GS - somebody beat me to it - but I honestly have to say that the Regal GS has been at the top of my VERY short list of acceptible American cars for quite some time. Beautiful work by Buick on that car - an old design, but it's relatively safe (I think the IIHS gives it an acceptable rating).

that's about all I can think of.

M.
Old 06-24-05, 10:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The G-wagon, in spite of its boxiness, is one of the few M-B products I actually have a lot of respect for. It clearly is not built for looks but for SOLIDNESS. It is one of the most tank-like vehicles I have seen in modern times. Shut the doors and they are literally like bank vaults.

Unfortunately, after some 25 years, M-B is getting ready to replace this vehicle with another one of its modern EL Cheapos.
I agree 100%, when I went to the MB ML event, the G-wagon was built out of granite compared to the others. It was amazing how solid that car felt, it FELT like it was worth the money just sitting and closing the door and seeing the plastics and materials.

Old 06-24-05, 01:55 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by glennp1999
You mean this car here....LOL!

LOL....Yeah man, thanks for the pic. Thats the one. Look at it, how can you not like it. Imagine all the girls one can pull with that car. LOL j/p.

Oh thanks as well Sick for the pic.

Last edited by magneto112; 06-24-05 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-24-05, 02:40 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I like unusual cars... can't say why. I guess I don't like to blend in.

Fiat 124 Spider of 1969-1973 (small bumpers, pre-smog). Twin cam DOHC, terrific 5-seed transmission, rear-wheel drive, clean looks, just need to be lowered a little. FUN car to drive!

Alfa Romeo GTV6 of the mid-80s. Lusty, terrific-sounding V6, deDion rear suspension, good weight distribution. 85 and earlier cars had problematic synchros.

Maserati BiTurbo of the mid-80s. The later fuel-injected cars didn't go "bang" as often. Nice looking interior with spotty build quality. Wick up the turbos, enlarge the intercooler, these cars were FAST!

BMW 8-series: early V12 cars were a nightmare, the 840 was the car to get. Looks insane on 20" wheels, really a nice body style.

Ferrari Mondial cabriolet of the early-mid 80s. I love the cab-forward look of this car. Mid-engined V8, space in the back for friends (it's a 2+2). I think this car would be stunning with a wheel upgrade. Nobody else likes them, so I can pick one up cheap!

Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R, mid/late 80s: A friend of mine had one of these back in high school. Neat, flared fenders, fatter rear tires from the factory- would spank a Z28 of it's day.

Toyota Corolla GT-S 85-87 AE86 "Hachiroku": terrific 4-AGE 16v DOHC engine, 4-wheel discs, rear-wheel drive, slick-shifting 5-speed. Some cars had limited-slip. I always liked the squarish lines of this car and I still do. My brother bought one back in '94 before the Initial D and drifting craze... back then it sort of sucked to tell your college & grad school buddies you have a Corolla. Now it's cool to have one! (He still has it!)

Toyota MR2 85-89 AW11: Mid-engine 16v engine, 45% front/55% rear weight distribution, less than 2300 lbs., edgy looks. These cars look completely different with nice wheels on them. Dad bought one new in '85, I bought it from him in '91. Unlike a Miata, nobody has ever called mine a "chick car."

I am sure there are others... those are standouts.
Old 06-25-05, 12:55 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

VW MK4 Golf/Jetta
Ford Crown Vic/500
Chrysler 300M
Volvo 850/940/740, and the 240
Chevy Caprice Classic

yes, except for the Volvos, 300M, 500, and VWs, i love my RWD...
Old 06-25-05, 02:52 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love Honda Odessy. If I ever stop being a pimp and become a dad,
I'd VIP the crap out of my van!
Old 06-25-05, 06:45 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1 Original VW Beetle - You could abuse those things and they would go on and on.
2 Nissan Sentra 1985-1995 pre sedans, same reason as above, always got you there.
3 Aztek because it created the ultimate design theme to stay away from.
4 Chyrsler Cordoba, because of the soft corinthian leather...or maybe just hearing Ricardo Montalban say that.
5 Hummer, I hate trucks but I can actually see myself driving one.
6 300M, the beginning of the Chrysler turn around.
7 I won't add the 300C because I'm not afraid to admit I like it. It's cool as heck...especially on 20's.
8 1962 Caddy, my grandfather's favorite car.
9 1972-76 Cutlass Supremes, rode like luxury but had plenty of giddy-up.
10 Most of all, the 1973 metallic green Monte Carlo I drove in college. It was famous. Everyone called it the Green Machine. I changed the stereo system to one of the best of it's time. Everyone wanted to ride with me. I was the first person I know to put a TV in a car. First to use silicone on tires and the Landau roof. I did lots of little mods to the car that made it stand out but still remain classy. I still miss that car.
Old 06-25-05, 12:22 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

mini cooper s... looks like a fun car to drive and i like the styling. just not sure if it's for me.
infiniti g35 sedan... doesn't have the appeal of a lexus or bmw but the performance wins me over.
bmw x5 4.4... im not a big fan of cross-over suv's but this one's performance sports car oriented.
porsche cayenne turbo... sure it's a cross-over suv but damn it's fast!
Old 06-25-05, 02:53 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Ford Granada 2 or 4 door.
Caddy Sedan DeVille in a variety of years.

Both I think would look good dropped with plus sized wheel combos. The Ford with a monster motor stuffed in it.
Old 06-25-05, 10:27 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

95? Oldsmoble Aurora - everyone I knew thought it was ugly but I thought it was decent looking and unique. Never even peeked inside of the car but I would guess it has a cheap interior.

Previous Gen Mustang - especially 99-05 restyling when it has decent rims and is dropped. Looks good, but since there's one on every drive way, it gets as plain looking as a Camry or Accord.

All others that I like, I probably won't be ashamed of.
Old 06-26-05, 08:25 PM
lexnit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
What about a Grand National?
impala ss
old gto
nissian 350z
jetta
buick regal
thunder bird