Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2003 G35... the best car 30K can buy??(G35 thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-05, 08:32 PM
LexFather

I also think the G35 sedan is ugly as sin. The updated version looks better but its still odd as hell.
The coupe is much better. I love this one here
Attached Thumbnails 2003 G35... the best car 30K can buy??(G35 thread)-444246_58_full.jpg  

Old 06-23-05, 08:35 PM
LexFather

Infiniti still is learning about luxury. It just is odd and throws the whole damn lineup off that the entry level car, the G35 has the largest grill. The M35/45 is much smaller as the Q45.

Luxury car makers have ALWAYS been relatiive, the cheaper the car, the smaller the grill and as the price/size goes up, so does the front grill size. Even Lexus with no cars looking alike (while the Germans had 1 style, 3 different sizes) follows this simple rule.

I saw a pic of an Audi A-8 next to a G35c and the G35 had the much bigger grill. It made the Audi look small up front.

That black G35 in the pic is gorgous. SSRs and a drop.

Old 06-23-05, 08:44 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30 g's

well...i can come up with
99 carrera c2 (maybe vert)
up to 03 lexus gs430
02 ls430
2002 sc430
2001 m3
2000 m5
any 2003 infiniti
2002 zo6 vette maybe 03
03 cobra vert
nice and i mean nice supra..prob 97 or maybe 98
02 amg benz e55..if you like.
soo many more
Old 06-23-05, 11:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I also think the G35 sedan is ugly as sin. The updated version looks better but its still odd as hell.
The coupe is much better. I love this one here
yeah i don't know why, the sedan is just bad.... the coupe though, it's so sexy! i still like it a lot!
Old 06-23-05, 11:25 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I wish that's true too, as a Lexus fan, I wish they can come out with something class leading in this attempt of a true sports sedan, but how do you know that ? since no known tests have been done publicly & Lexus themselves didn't claim anything other than something like under 6 sec. ( high 5 sec. range )in their own press release. The best tested time by the automags. for the G35c 6MT is 5.5 sec. BTW.
a 280hp heavier Avalon running 14.5 at 99.4mph? That speaks enough for me

add 35-40hp and subtract about 300-400lbs...

G35s run 0-60 in 5.5 because they are manual transmission and thats from a great launch... they STILL only run 100mph traps...

I'll take the Yota with the better styling, the 4 doors, the better gas mileage, and the better reliability
Old 06-24-05, 03:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Many suggestions here for the G35. I agree it is a good choice but, for 28-32K (brand-new) so are the upper-level models of the Subaru Legacy and Outback if you need or want all-wheel-drive. Their interior, IMO is better than last year's G35, although this year's G35 interior has been upgraded a little. The G35X sedan offers AWD but runs more than 30K brand-new. Infiniti does not yet offer AWD on the coupe...something it has taken criticism for, as it could easily be retrofitted from the sedan.
There are other good choices, too, for 30K brand-new. A base 2005 Lexus IS300 without a lot of options, a mid-level Avalon, upper-level V6 Camrys and Accords, the Nissan Altima SE-R (the Altima's interior is MUCH better this year), and the Saab 9-2X Aero, which offers the WRX turbo package, AWD, and Subaru reliability with some classier Saab touches. There will probably be good deals on the 9-2X due to its low sales.
Old 06-24-05, 08:14 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you will get bored of the G35 in 2-3 years. I think for the time being the G35 coupe fits all of your requirements now but it will never be the MR2 you once had. I think the E36 M3 is the closest you will get to having all the things you are desiring more so than G35. I think it has all the comforts of a G35 and more, handling abilities that is closer to a sports car. It is surely more exclusive than the G35 which is a big factor with boredom. You are bound to see hundreds of G35 over dozens of E46M3's. I think that was your big thing with the SC... too many ghetto chopped SC's around for your taste. G35 will be on the same boat in a few years. No matter which care you go with you will be changing cars in less than 3 years. I put my SC up for sale about 5 times now... once every year...... but it's something that I decided to stay with... I think for you an M3 will make you regret putting your car for sale, every time you put it up for sale and there is someone who really wants to buy it.

That or a 993. I don't like the new 996/997's

good luck. whichever you go with I'm sure the mods will be a tasty one
Old 06-24-05, 08:50 AM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VSsc400
I think you will get bored of the G35 in 2-3 years. I think for the time being the G35 coupe fits all of your requirements now but it will never be the MR2 you once had. I think the E36 M3 is the closest you will get to having all the things you are desiring more so than G35. I think it has all the comforts of a G35 and more, handling abilities that is closer to a sports car. It is surely more exclusive than the G35 which is a big factor with boredom. You are bound to see hundreds of G35 over dozens of E46M3's. I think that was your big thing with the SC... too many ghetto chopped SC's around for your taste. G35 will be on the same boat in a few years. No matter which care you go with you will be changing cars in less than 3 years. I put my SC up for sale about 5 times now... once every year...... but it's something that I decided to stay with... I think for you an M3 will make you regret putting your car for sale, every time you put it up for sale and there is someone who really wants to buy it.

You are so right... it hurts.. lol. Ugh, im just tired of going from car to car. I thought the best bet for my budget would be a G35. I'd jump on an M3 right now, if i had the funds. Unfortunately, they are still in the mid-30's for a high mileage 2001 here in socal. Maybe I'll decide to wait another year? But then again my car is bone stock right now, it kills me to drive it!, not to mention, the longer I wait to sell, the less it will be worth..
Old 06-24-05, 09:11 AM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

That black G35 in the pic is gorgous. SSRs and a drop.
Those are actually Junction Produce Scara's in black.... 19x9.5 and 19x11
Old 06-25-05, 02:56 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

John,

Met you over at Will's place a couple years back - I took his wheels when he got the M3.

Recently, I was helping a friend look for a car around that range, and narrowed the search to either an e46 M3 or CLK55. We went and test drove a number of SMG and 6 speed M3's and CLK55's. He ended up getting an '01 CLK55. I think it's a car that a lot of people sleep on since it's an older body design. If you haven't yet driven one, I strongly encourage you to try it out. Those 5.5 AMG engines are underrated, and in a smaller car like the CLK it feels amazingly strong.

Interestingly, we have another friend who just purchased a loaded G35 with Navi and Brembos, and he was just floored when testing out the CLK yesterday. He couldn't believe how much stronger the brakes and the engine were. The CLK55 is a great car if you don't mind the styling and the fact that there is a newer model available. The car has a great engine and tranny (used on 12 cylinder MB's) and is a great all around vehicle. It sits 4 pretty comfortably, and even the trunk is huge.

Personally, I've chosen something a little sharper and purpose built. I know the NSX doesn't fall into your loan criteria of five years age or less, but it is possible to get a loan for an older vehicle. I think the NSX should be another car to consider within your range if you don't mind the sacrifice in practicality and comfort. Plus, NSX's hold their value extremely well. Of course the NSX is expensive to service and is an older car (= greater wear on parts that need replacing), but in my eyes it's a classic.

You are bound to see hundreds of G35 over dozens of E46M3's. I think that was your big thing with the SC... too many ghetto chopped SC's around for your taste. G35 will be on the same boat in a few years.
I think VSsc400 makes a good point here, especially in the case of the G35. There are a ton of those around, especially in SoCal. No exclusivity and you're bound to see a bunch of cheesy ones in a few. Both the NSX and the CLK55, on the other hand, are rare.

In any case, good luck with your search.

Mike

btw, that G35 does look sick with those JP's, but consider also that part of it's appeal is that it's slammed. I doubt you'd be able to achieve the same look and still maintain driveability. And don't forget that's another $10k for the kit/wheels/drop...

Last edited by pvmike1; 06-25-05 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-25-05, 04:06 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat - looking at G35c's right now. The type of car I want really narrows down the field - RWD coupe with a manual trans. Only a few cars in my price range fit - I'd love an E46 M3 but can't pull it off right now. I have been looking at the 330's though.

I still love my SC, I'd probably buy a 97 black/black if it came up
Old 06-25-05, 05:01 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fireballs gs400
well...i can come up with
99 carrera c2 (maybe vert)
up to 03 lexus gs430
02 ls430
2002 sc430
2001 m3
2000 m5
any 2003 infiniti
2002 zo6 vette maybe 03
03 cobra vert
nice and i mean nice supra..prob 97 or maybe 98
02 amg benz e55..if you like.
soo many more
Are you sure about those two Bimmers up there? I hope he doesn't consider the ford, it may be fast but the ride is very rough.
Old 06-26-05, 12:08 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VSsc400

The M3 is exclusive i guess in some places, but here in my area, there are so many M3's. Not as much as g35 coupes, but still quite alot. Even if the g35 becomes a hot car to buy in a few years, i dont think there will be to many "ghetto" ones. Almost all the kits for the G are either classy looking or fit well with the lines of the car. None that are ghetto or ricey except maybe the veilside wing. You also have to consider that most g35 drivers are old people that dont care about fixing up their cars. The majority of G35's are stock. Also, resale value on the G coupes are pretty high, so you shouldnt really expect a bunch of kids to be able to afford them. The price range would still be to high for the kids that would make the G ghetto looking. With all that said, if you can get an M3, get an M3. I was going to get an M3 but i just couldnt wait 1 more year...also the fact that i fell in love with the G.

Last edited by Xenthar; 06-26-05 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-26-05, 11:47 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Default by request,,, here are the pic of the g35

lately there has been some discussion about should i or should i not buy a g,,,,, well here are some pics of mine,,,, so far i love it,,,, hope this helps everybodies decision... let me know your opinions..........
Attached Thumbnails 2003 G35... the best car 30K can buy??(G35 thread)-dark.jpg  
Old 06-26-05, 11:48 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

another one for the fans
Attached Thumbnails 2003 G35... the best car 30K can buy??(G35 thread)-back.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2003 G35... the best car 30K can buy??(G35 thread)