Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche dismisses claims Cayman will be quicker than its 911 sports flagship

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-05, 06:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Porsche dismisses claims Cayman will be quicker than its 911 sports flagship

By MARTON PETTENDY 21 June 2005

PORSCHE has dismissed claims its forthcoming Cayman coupe is quicker at the Nurburgring than its 911 flagship.

The German super-coupe maker has also clarified its own position that the forthcoming Cayman coupe sets a new dynamic benchmark, and denies claims that the mid-engined Boxster derivative will significantly cannibalise sales of its iconic 911 sports car flagship.

Due to make its public debut at September’s Frankfurt motor show before arriving in Australian Porsche showrooms around March, Cayman S will be priced around $50,000 less than the entry-level 911 Carrera at around $150,000.

While Porsche marketers concede that between three and five per cent of potential 911 buyers may instead be swayed toward Cayman, the company remains adamant that 911’s status as Porsche’s performance leader is not in danger.

According to Porsche test driver Walter Rohrl, the 217kW Cayman S lapped Germany’s legendary Nurburgring road circuit in a respectable eight minutes and 11 seconds – not faster than the standard Carrera 2, as some European reports have claimed, but in fact nine seconds slower.

And Porsche’s global press relations manager Michael Bauman says the press release that last month announced Cayman “sets a benchmark in the area of driving dynamics and active driving safety” compared the new Boxster derivative with similarly priced rivals – not 911.

"I don’t think we’re really comparing a 911 to a Boxster-series car," he said. "We still think Boxster and Cayman are really a different series to 911.

"We’re talking mid-engine and rear-engine, for a start, so in its class of sports coupe at that price it sets a new standard.

"We try to achieve a best-in-class (result) with every product we do. We think that whoever considers buying a 911 will not consider a Cayman."

Mr Bauman said that while 911 was the "more mature" model, Cayman is a "younger, more urban car". However, he admits more than 10 per cent of Cayman sales may be substitutional for Boxster sales.

"If 10 per cent of Carrera buyers went to Cayman that would be an issue," he said. "But even with, say, up to 15 per cent of Cayman buyers coming from existing Porsche models, that leaves 85 per cent of people who will be new to the Porsche brand. So it’s not such a worry for us."

Citing the likes of the Mercedes-Benz SLK as a key Cayman competitor, Mr Bauman said: "We think we have a niche that’s not really at the top end of medium-priced sports coupes.

Mr Bauman also confirmed the likelihood of a less expensive 209kW 3.2-litre version of the Cayman, to be sold alongside the 217kW S version revealed so far.

"It’s not a far leap to suggest there will be other Cayman variants. But there won’t be as many derivatives as the 911 has," he said.

The man who set the 8:11 Nurburgring time in Cayman – as well as the 911 Carrera’s benchmark time of 8:02 (7:59 with sports suspension) and a best of 7:45 in a GT2 – Walter Rohrl, agrees 911 is still the Nurburgring king.

However, he claims the mid-engined Cayman, which is reported to have a 50 per cent stiffer chassis than Boxster, is more nimble to change direction, delivers higher corner speed and is more forgiving than 911.

"Cayman gives you the feeling you need more power, but you have to be careful because there’s less traction because there’s less weight over the rear wheels.

"There’s no doubt it would be quicker with a 911 engine, but 911 is still the king because you can use all its power – unlike, say, M3," said Mr Rohrl.

source : goauto.carsales
Old 06-24-05, 07:11 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is too bad. Looks like Porsche is going to continue to intentionally hold back the performance advantage of the Boxter/Cayman just to keep the 911 fans happy. I hope the aftermarket takes full advantge of the Cayman and produces 911 turbo kits and other aftermarket parts to kick the 911 but in the real world. The aftermarket should really take advantage of the Cayman and run with it.

By MARTON PETTENDY 21 June 2005

However, he claims the mid-engined Cayman, which is reported to have a 50 per cent stiffer chassis than Boxster, is more nimble to change direction, delivers higher corner speed and is more forgiving than 911.
Pretty much standard for mid engine cars vs rear engine cars.

"Cayman gives you the feeling you need more power, but you have to be careful because there’s less traction because there’s less weight over the rear wheels.
I'm sure Ferrari and Lamborghini are not too worried about that. Heck, they were not even worried about that themselves with the Carrera GT

Last edited by CK6Speed; 06-24-05 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-24-05, 07:38 AM
LexFather

I am sure when Tuners get their hand on it, they will unlock its potential, even with very mild mods.

The 911 name is just a Legend. Thats why the other Porsches just never really worked for them. People think Porsche and they still think 911.

Old 06-24-05, 01:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am sure when Tuners get their hand on it, they will unlock its potential, even with very mild mods.

The 911 name is just a Legend. Thats why the other Porsches just never really worked for them. People think Porsche and they still think 911.
very true, if you talk about the name porsche a lot of people still relates to the 911 (or maybe boxster).
Old 06-24-05, 04:31 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

911 has always been the sportiest of the Porsche models & representative of the brand, but in terms of looks, I always like the 944 & 928 more.
Old 06-24-05, 10:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Due to make its public debut at September’s Frankfurt motor show before arriving in Australian Porsche showrooms around March, Cayman S will be priced around $50,000 less than the entry-level 911 Carrera at around $150,000.
1US$ is equivalent to about 1.3 AUS$ so that means a 911 costs over $115K U.S. in Australia!
Old 06-25-05, 05:09 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
1US$ is equivalent to about 1.3 AUS$ so that means a 911 costs over $115K U.S. in Australia!
Import taxes are high there. SC430 sells for $156K+ there : LINK
GS300 $95k-$112K+ . . .
Old 06-26-05, 10:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Import taxes are high there. SC430 sells for $156K+ there : LINK
GS300 $95k-$112K+ . . .
yeah, i can't understand how you guys survive over there
Old 06-27-05, 04:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah, i can't understand how you guys survive over there
You're talkin' to me ? I'm not from Australia I think taxes there on import cars are even worse than HK or Singapore . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 06-27-05 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-27-05, 05:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Back to topic...Porsches.

The real problem is that the Boxster is overpriced for what you get ..........simply beause of the Porsche nameplate on it. What Porsche needs to do is drop the Boxster's price down to what it is REALLY worth...probably mid-high 30's instead of mid-high 40's. That would give them PLENTY of room between the Boxster and the 911 to position the new Cayman in, both in price and performance..........and then you wouldn't have this question of Cayman-911 overlap, and everybody would be happy..
Old 06-27-05, 05:57 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Back to topic...Porsches.

The real problem is that the Boxster is overpriced for what you get ..........simply beause of the Porsche nameplate on it. What Porsche needs to do is drop the Boxster's price down to what it is REALLY worth...probably mid-high 30's instead of mid-high 40's. That would give them PLENTY of room between the Boxster and the 911 to position the new Cayman in, both in price and performance..........and then you wouldn't have this question of Cayman-911 overlap, and everybody would be happy..
I agree to a point. The base Boxter is a dog but handles really well. The Boxter S though I would say is worth $60K. Back to the Cayman though, I would challange Porsche to build up the Cayman to full potential and not hold anything back and let the market decide if they rather still have a 911 or a Cayman. Maybe it's time for Porsche to start carving a new history for themselves with the Cayman?
Old 06-27-05, 12:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

You're talkin' to me ? I'm not from Australia I think taxes there on import cars are even worse than HK or Singapore . . .
nah i am not even talking about ausi, i am talking about you i think the rates in canada is already way too high for me to swallow! and yeah, hk it's way worse, but then again i dont' really see the need of having car in hk. not like it here