Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Very General Post: Saab

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-05, 10:52 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very General Post: Saab

I called the local Saab dealership while I was at work last week (there's little else to do when I'm at work aside from browsing local dealer inventory).

After waiting about 15 minutes to speak with someone that actually worked for the Saab office (this dealership is part of a collection of import-car dealerships), I was able to make my inquiry; it was simple enough:

"Is your dealership participating in GM's current incentive programs and what would be the bottom line on a 9-3 Aero with all options."

The salesperson's response blew me away and prompted this post. He said that it would be "nearly impossible" to acquire a 9-3 Aero during the current promotion (the great inventory-clearing 'let's-not-call-it-a-rebate' ... "employee discount").

Is it procedure to take high-margin items like the Aero off "the list" (by simply making them unavailable) during margin-narrowing incentive periods?

M.
Old 06-27-05, 04:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by whipimpin
I called the local Saab dealership while I was at work last week (there's little else to do when I'm at work aside from browsing local dealer inventory).
I'm not sure I understand your point here about having nothing else to do but contact Saab dealers. Do you work for Saab or are you involved in Saab marketing?
Old 06-27-05, 05:37 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

look around dude, I doubt you get much employee discount off the 9-3

but 9-2x, damn, my friend in Detroit picked up either an Aero or Linear, I think Aero for $19k + tax, he saved over $8k!!!!!!!!!!! DAAAAAAAAMN!

a family friend also jump the boat and bought a Pontiac Vibe fully loaded for $23k Cdn, so he got a fully loaded Matrix while saving over $5k Cdn, that's huge savings!
Old 06-27-05, 07:25 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not sure I understand your point here about having nothing else to do but contact Saab dealers. Do you work for Saab or are you involved in Saab marketing?
Sorry for the confusion. No I don't work for Saab in any way. But my job is very boring, as it must be (increasingly less and less, however given their augmented lineup) for those involved in Saab's marketing division.

I'm not interested in purchasing the 9-3 right now - I just wondered if GM's "Employee Discount for Everyone" was truly being applied to all of their vehicles - including the fairly limited ones like the 9-3 Aero (which I think is a great looking car - btw).

I just posted this up b/c I wondered if Saab has a difficult time getting those cars Stateside regardless of running/ongoing incentive programs.

M.

Last edited by whipimpin; 06-27-05 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-27-05, 08:36 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

I purchased a 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear (Aero was not out yet) when it first was announced in the fall of 2002, and I sold it last year for my Infiniti in the summer of 2004... I've never had a car for a shorter period of time but really I could not wait to get rid of it.

My Saab was in the shop more times than I care to remember for various issues ranging from stupid electrical stuff (information **** was broken so you couldn't properly select the item you wanted) to things that just make you scratch your head (both driver front and rear doors did not close flush).

Bottom line, I would never get another Saab... and I would strongly recommend against it to anyone else.
Old 06-27-05, 08:42 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well as you said, whipimpin, it is a "great inventory clearing event" designed to do just that -- clear inventory. when i went in to drive the cobalt SS i reviewed a short while back, the guy told me a few stories as well. before the GM employee discount (which i believe is being applied to EVERYTHING except corvette if i remember correctly), the dealership i went to had a massive inventory and they didn't know what to do with it all. now, almost at the end of the discount period, they're glad they had it. if they wouldn't have had so many cars, they wouldn't have had enough to sell to all the customers coming in. basically, it comes down to supply and demand. the dealerships aren't able to get them in fast enough to sell them (from what i'm told) so that's probably the reason the guy told you it would be impossible to do what you said. not because they don't want to, but because they probably aren't able to get a car in so soon. the discount has moved a lot of inventory for GM dealers, the whole reason they started the promotion. as a side thought, have you tried calling other saab dealers a little farther away from your local dealer?
Old 06-27-05, 10:20 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

GM.com has the info on what the employee discount is supposed to be for each model.
Attached Thumbnails Very General Post: Saab-picture2.jpg  
Old 06-27-05, 06:16 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah the deals on GM cars right now are insane. To bad I'm not on the market for a new car right now, or I might think about jumping ship and getting a STS, 9-2x(I like them), 9-3, or Denali.

I'm going to look at that GM site out of pure curiosity.
Old 06-27-05, 07:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Okay, just checked out some deals on the site. Here are a few examples....

Denali XL
MSRP 52K
Employee Price 41K

Saab 9-2x Aero
MSRP 28K
Employee Price 19K

CTSv
MSRP 50K
Employee Price 45K

GTO
MSRP 35K
Employee Price 30K

As you can see some are better than others, but they all seem to be pretty damn good, and I hear sales are going to be absolutely great for GM. But with deals like this, it will probably kill resale value and I dont see GM making much money by doing this, but at least they are moving inventory.
Old 06-28-05, 04:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That offer for the 9-2X Aero is really tempting. Not only do you get Subaru reliability ( it is a redone Impreza ) but AWD, a better interior, and the WRX drivetrain as well.
Old 07-08-05, 08:01 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Oh btw, just talked my wife into buying one thanks to you. Make sure you get your commission. lol.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That offer for the 9-2X Aero is really tempting. Not only do you get Subaru reliability ( it is a redone Impreza ) but AWD, a better interior, and the WRX drivetrain as well.