Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I really Love My GS430...CLS500 Bites It.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-05, 07:52 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I really Love My GS430...CLS500 Bites It.

Wow, Can't believe a CLS500 just blew it's chunks at a intersection in my neighborhood. Some guy with a couple ladies sporting it with dealer tags still on it. Now normally I don't do stoplight races, but this guy was whispering to his "ladies" and looking over at me laughing. I am not going to get punked and knowing the specs on the CLS I figure I have a chance if I can get the jump. Light turns green and off we went I pulled on him until halfway down the block "Blue Smoke of Death" was coming from underneath his car. He pulls over and you can see oil just pouring from underneath the engine. I turned around to see if I can help, well he called a tow truck with my phone. Apparently the phone didn't work in his 60k+ car. Well, he just picked it up at the dealer that morning. Offered them a ride home but I think he was too embarrassed to accept. Kinda felt sorry, right now his MB is a piece of artwork on back of a AAA tow truck. Beautiful car though. Great vehicle if you leave it parked. I have heard nothing but horror stories on this cars but they are nice looking. Again I love my GS430 reliability and power.

*Please no flames for the childish behavior but a EGO is a terrible thing to waste*
Old 07-05-05, 07:57 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, that was a great story. I just love to hear how the competition gets burned.

Way to smoke em

I am no speed racer myself, but you got to do what you got to do.

Oh, yeah............. he whom laughs last laughs best
Old 07-05-05, 08:23 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That MB got::

best thing i could find on the fly
Old 07-05-05, 08:45 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you should have left with the ladies!!

Jonny
Old 07-05-05, 08:55 PM
98LexusGS
Driver

No way. I really wish you had pictures. I keep on telling my girlfriend that those cars are nothing but trouble. Get this - her sister in law just bought a brand new ML 350 and 2 weeks later the CEL comes on. She goes to the dealer and they offer to give her a C class as a rental. She was so embarassed to drive it. Secondly, they "fix" it and the CEL comes on right when she pulls into her driveway. To add salt to the wound, she gets a letter from MB telling her that her car is part of a steering assembly recall. I don't know what kind of plant their running down there in Alabama but it is really **** poor with QC. The mystery of it is that they don't really know why the CEL comes on. Let's just say that I'm sitting there in her driveway telling her "I told you so" with a huge grin on my face. Amazingly my girlfriend still wants a Benz (I made her buy a 2005 RX 330).
Old 07-06-05, 12:43 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Just about all Mercedes now are plagued with problems no matter where they are made but the ML is notorious for using cheap materials and being poorly built and unreliable. It is ashame because Mercedes makes very elegant beautiful cars with great interiors with no mistaking that they are luxury cars. Mercedes cars are very overpriced though especially considering the horrid reliabiltiy of these cars lately. People still buy them because they are status symbols and generally considered the top luxury brand and have alot of desireability but no way should you be having problems with a car you spent so much money on. I am sure that guy never broke his CLS engine in since it is so new and probrably has raced a bunch of people with it until the engine just seized up. You should have asked him what he was whispering to the girls or maybe ask the girls what he was whispering. It was nice of you to try to help him out even after he was probrably talking trash trying to impress the girls and wanted to show off by beating your car.
Old 07-06-05, 02:39 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ironically, my wife has a 99 CLK 320 she bought used. She wanted a new one but I convinced her that $20k is lot better than 40k. I refused to drive the car. I was considering asking him what he was wispering to the ladies, whom by the way looked as skanky as Paris Hilton but let it slide. I think he was embarrassed enough. I checked MB forum and the list of problems on the CLS goes on forever and yet they love their cars. Seems like electrical problems is the number QC issue on them.

The Mrs. loves driving my car though and is considering trading *UP* to a GS430.
Old 07-06-05, 02:50 AM
dmodstl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nate579
Beautiful car though. Great vehicle if you leave it parked.
The owner doesn't have much choice now does he?
Old 07-06-05, 05:48 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

I agree the new MBs S and CLS series are nice looking. They also have shown some obvious design flaws. I'd see 1 out of 5 NEW S or CLS with a brake light stuck on...glaring bright red... or a rear running light out. Sick...just sick MB. A friend back in NH has a S600 with 20" chromed wheels...I wasn't that impressed with the car...too many gadgets inside...reminded me of an Olds Toronado.

nate...too bad the ladies didn't jump in with ya.
Old 07-06-05, 06:21 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Best story I' ve heard in a while
Old 07-06-05, 08:03 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

a friend from down my street has a brand new sl600...20" staggered amg kit etc... its mean i have yet to ask him if anything has gone bad but from what i can tell hes gutting that car out... i usually see him peel out at this street light right out of my neighborhood.
Old 07-06-05, 10:03 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny!! That why I love my Lexuses... most reliable in the world!
Old 07-06-05, 11:21 AM
liquidsilver
Driver

One of my friends purchased 2000 ML (brand new) and they had so much problems with the truck that they got rid of it after 3 years. Now somebody they knew told them that it's probabaly because it's 4X4 and usually trucks have more problems then cars. What a dumbass!!
So they go to the MB dealer and picked up a brand new E320 and now after a year or so they are regretting that they've went with MB again. On her E320 the HID light went out about 3 times now and other electrical and A/C failures on regular basis.

Some people will never learn and will never listen either.
Old 07-06-05, 03:35 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was a great story. At the rate MB is going, I think Ford will pass them up in the quality department and that 's really
Old 07-06-05, 05:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by rheiy
That was a great story. At the rate MB is going, I think Ford will pass them up in the quality department and that 's really
Our 2004 F-150 FX4 has been treated like crap and has had ZERO flaws.

Quick Reply: I really Love My GS430...CLS500 Bites It.