Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CR comparo: RL, A6, STS, M35, Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-05, 09:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Avalon is the best Buick ever made. It's pretty big (although Ford 500 is bigger inside and trunk), it's comfy, it's pretty powerful but it will never be called exciting. The large panels of (fake?) aluminum in the center console also look pretty bland. But it's a great value for money, if you want everything a Buick should be. I'm not knockin' it - heck I might get one some day!

However, it's not even close to being like the others (RL, A6, STS, M35).

RL has AWD, incredible interior, better exterior looks (IMHO) and will handle better.
A6 has AWD, engine options, incredible interior, better exterior looks (IMHO) and will handle better.
STS has RWD/AWD, engine options, optional active suspension, better exterior looks (IMHO) and will handle way better.
M35 has RWD/AWD, engine options (M45), better exterior looks (IMHO) and will handle way better.

They really should test the GS300 instead of the Avalon, or at least include the GS300 and leave the Avalon in there if need be.
I totally agree. The GS300 is a DIRECT competitor to the others. But CR loves Toyota and practical as you said.
Old 07-07-05, 02:04 PM
AlwaysLate
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lets see here.
1. RL is based on an Accord.
Where did you hear that from?

The RL doesn't share it's chasis, engine, transmission, AWD system, Navi, interior parts or anything else really with any other Honda, let alone the Accord. In fact, I'd say the Accord and RL are related just as much as the Camry and GS300X are.

I'm curious to hear where you heard the RL is based on the Accord.
Old 07-07-05, 02:27 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Maybe CR didnt feel the GS was good enough to compete with these cars since it has a weak engine. Perhaps they think the GS300 performance wise is just inferior to the avalon. Now that i think about it, thats kinda funny.
Old 07-07-05, 02:29 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AlwaysLate
Where did you hear that from?

The RL doesn't share it's chasis, engine, transmission, AWD system, Navi, interior parts or anything else really with any other Honda, let alone the Accord. In fact, I'd say the Accord and RL are related just as much as the Camry and GS300X are.

I'm curious to hear where you heard the RL is based on the Accord.
Dont mind him....its just him being him. The RL isnt based on the accord as far as i know. He just likes to add stuff like that just to annoy acura and infiniti owners. The m35 is on a modified FM platform. I dont see whats the big deal with that since its already been stated that the FM platform is a great platform for weight balance. And it shows in the M when comparing it to the other mid size lux sedans

EDIT: Acura and infiniti owners who also own lexus's

Last edited by Xenthar; 07-07-05 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-07-05, 02:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenthar
Maybe CR didnt feel the GS was good enough to compete with these cars since it has a weak engine. Perhaps they think the GS300 performance wise is just inferior to the avalon. Now that i think about it, thats kinda funny.
It's not all about 0-60 times and performance for everyone. If you want to make comparison, the Acura RL performance is pretty inferior to the non-luxury nameplate Avalon. Now that's funny!
Old 07-07-05, 02:38 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RL isnt based on the accord as far as i know. He just likes to add stuff like that just to annoy acura and infiniti owners.
Such as yourself saying ignorant things about Lexus just to annoy the owners on a Lexus based forum? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black young grasshopper.
Old 07-07-05, 02:38 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
It's not all about 0-60 times and performance for everyone. If you want to make comparison, the Acura RL performance is pretty inferior to the non-luxury nameplate Avalon. Now that's funny!
I thought it was funny that a toyota had better performance than a lexus period. No need to get mad
Old 07-07-05, 02:45 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Didn't the Avalon get the fastest magazine tested 0-60 times among all those cars so far at 6 sec. flat ?
Who cares, CR evaluations are not all about performance anyway, they're about reliability & overall package.
Old 07-07-05, 02:47 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Didn't the Avalon get the fastest magazine tested 0-60 times among all those cars so far at 6 sec. flat ?
Yep, but then again, the Maxima at 6.1s is also faster than any of those lux brand cars.
Old 07-07-05, 02:56 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I thought it was funny that a toyota had better performance than a lexus period. No need to get mad
I'm not mad. Why should I be? Afterall the Avalon is a flagship car, the GS3 is not. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Old 07-07-05, 02:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by jrock65
Yep, but then again, the Maxima at 6.1s is also faster than any of those lux brand cars.
True, but the Maxima was never even mentioned in this article.
Old 07-07-05, 03:06 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
As I said, performance is just one of many criteria CR used, so who cares about 0-60 times? They can do a comparison with whatever cars they want, & it's up to the readers to decide how seriously they take it ( I don't take any of the car mag. or CR comparisons too seriously, they're all highly subjective & it's just entertainment to me ).Didn't we had threads here before that compare the Avalon to the luxury brand Lexus ES330, or even the LS ? There are Toyota Crowns in Japan that's more luxurious than the new GS, so what ? The differentiation between lower end luxury cars & higher end non-luxury name plates are more & more blurred anyway, so what's the problem ?
Old 07-07-05, 03:10 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AmethySC
As I said, performance is just one of many criteria CR used, so who cares about 0-60 times? They can do a comparison with whatever cars they want, & it's up to the readers to decide how seriously they take it ( I don't take any of the car mag. or CR comparisons too seriously, they're all highly subjective & it's just entertainment to me ).Didn't we had threads here before that compare the Avalon to the luxury brand Lexus ES330, or even the LS ? There are Toyota Crowns in Japan that's more luxurious than the new GS, so what ? The differentiation between lower end luxury cars & higher end non-luxury name plates are more & more blurred anyway, so what's the problem ?
The toyota crown is a hot car--my uncle has one. Isnt it like a step above the LS?
Old 07-07-05, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Avalon is the best Buick ever made. It's pretty big (although Ford 500 is bigger inside and trunk), it's comfy, it's pretty powerful but it will never be called exciting. The large panels of (fake?) aluminum in the center console also look pretty bland. But it's a great value for money, if you want everything a Buick should be. I'm not knockin' it - heck I might get one some day!
I have driven the new Avalon. Despite the often-compared image, it is no Buick. Even in the non-Touring versions and with correct tire pressure (something a lot of dealers don't check, although they say they do) the ride, like so many other "luxury" cars today, is noticibly stiffer than in the past...especially the soft-riding first-generation model.
Drive a LeSabre or Park Avenue and then drive a new Avalon and you will notice the difference.
Old 07-07-05, 03:13 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
True, but the Maxima was never even mentioned in this article.
True, never said it was.

Quick Reply: CR comparo: RL, A6, STS, M35, Avalon