Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CR comparo: RL, A6, STS, M35, Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 12:13 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CR comparo: RL, A6, STS, M35, Avalon

Apparently, Consumer Reports is going to do a comparo between the RL, A6, STS, M35, and Avalon next month.

They really should test the GS300 instead of the Avalon, or at least include the GS300 and leave the Avalon in there if need be.

Given CR's affinity for the "practical", I bet the $35k Avalon wins against the $50k sedans. They'll say something like ... "just as luxurious and powerful, more room, and better in snow, for 2/3 of the price!!!"
Old 07-06-05, 01:53 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

I'm anxious to see how CR likes the STS.

Honestly - it's the only American-built sedan that makes me want to leave the whip I'm with, and start a new relationship at that kinda money.

(I know you guys remember that song ...)

M.
Old 07-06-05, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
Apparently, Consumer Reports is going to do a comparo between the RL, A6, STS, M35, and Avalon next month.

They really should test the GS300 instead of the Avalon, or at least include the GS300 and leave the Avalon in there if need be.

Given CR's affinity for the "practical", I bet the $35k Avalon wins against the $50k sedans. They'll say something like ... "just as luxurious and powerful, more room, and better in snow, for 2/3 of the price!!!"
No. Unless there is a BIG difference in stock tires between these cars, the Avalon will NOT do better in snow than the AWD RL and A6 Quattro. Other things......maybe, but not snow traction.
Now...in snow it probably WILL beat the RWD STS and M35, even with those cars' traction and stability control. Again, it depends on exactly what kind of tires are put on these cars at the factory....CR tests with stock rubber.
Old 07-06-05, 05:59 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

DAYUM they are gonna test the Avalon with those cars?!?!! Im surprised they are considering avalon as a sport sedan to be included int he comparo. I think the avalon is a fantastic car for almost every category there is - but im still a GS fan..lol However is surprising to know that it wil be included along with those other high end cars over 45K.

Id like to read this review.
Old 07-06-05, 08:09 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

maybe they'll test the Avalon touring with these other models, but gotta give my teo cents about the M from Infiniti, nice car and all but i will never consider getting one, not because im a lexus fan, but i still think that infiniti has more to do with their cars than just large engines. and nice roaring sounds when u floor the accelerator, but i really do like the G lineup, other than that, if i had a choice between the avalon and the M i would pick the avalon. and the steering wheel in the M feel rough
Old 07-06-05, 08:48 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Well, it must be a good comparo because why would they publish it if it was not?
Old 07-06-05, 08:54 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bizzy928
Well, it must be a good comparo because why would they publish it if it was not?
So everything that's published is fit to print?
Old 07-06-05, 09:58 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Seems like a dumb comparo. I mean, the avalon is NOT a luxury make like the others....no where near the same class. It should have been the gs300. I dont see the point of this comparo unless toyota payed them to put the avalon in there to possibly make it seem like a better buy then the competition. Of course it would since its way cheaper. But in all honesty, who would cross shop between an avalon and an a6, RL or whatever else is in that class of cars? If someone was looking for a car in this segment, they would look at the gs300, not the avalon. If i was looking at an accord or a maxima, then id look at an avalon.
Old 07-06-05, 10:04 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default avalon

have you sat in one lately. Loaded they are way better than most the other cars on that list.
Old 07-06-05, 10:05 PM
TSXtacy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avalon?!?! Come on, give me the GS with those guys. Maybe it was a Lexus PR thing .

Anyway, both inside and out, I've come to realize that the A6 is the best looking IMO. The M looks great, but it looks cheap and certain interior portions (the wood, draped leather on the door sides) make it look older than it really is, although that interior still is very nice. The RL is bloated, suprisingly underpowered (needs a bit more torque, HP is just fine), and quite bland. It's interior is the best fitted and finish in the class IMO, VERY nice, and also has an unbelievable Navi and SH-AWD. The GS for me is just too plain. It's striking, but plain. The interior is very well done, but lacks character for me. The STS's interior doesn't do it for me, but the exterior is very classy. As for the 5 and E, with all these choices, I'd rather skip BMW and MB.
Old 07-06-05, 10:06 PM
TSXtacy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fireballs gs400
have you sat in one lately. Loaded they are way better than most the other cars on that list.
very true. 38k fully loaded, while the Audi A6 starts at 41,900.
Old 07-06-05, 10:22 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

The Avalon interior is very nice (except the fake wood) and its power would put the GS300 to shame. But its FWD setup and soft suspension means that it won't hold a candle to the other cars in handling and fun-to-drive factor.

If they're gonna include the Avalon, why not throw the ES in there for good measure? I mean, the ES has an even better interior than the Avalon.

It's not that big a deal to pit the Avalon against these cars... but why does that mean that the GS300 has to be EXCLUDED?
Old 07-06-05, 10:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65

Lets see here.
1. RL is based on an Accord.
2. The A6 FINALLY has its own platform.
3. The STS has its own platform
4. The M35 is based on the 350Z.
5. The Avalon is based on a Camry.

Sounds like a fair comparison to me.

Old 07-06-05, 11:50 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Oh man, there is going to be a lot of pissed off readers across all Car Forums the day this review becomes available. Not a good look. "While they are at it, they should compare the E55 to the Town Car". uh-oh......
Old 07-07-05, 06:44 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

The Front Midship platform is much more of an Infiniti platform in the U.S., the G35, G35 Coupe, FX35/45, M35/45 use it. The 350Z, a specialty car that sells 2500 per month, is the only Nissan to use it. Big deal.

Again, why was the GS excluded? It's less than one year old, just like the RL, A6, STS, and M35.

Quick Reply: CR comparo: RL, A6, STS, M35, Avalon