Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Most Expensive Vehicles to Insure

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-05, 12:30 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Most Expensive Vehicles to Insure

The Most Expensive Vehicles to Insure
by Jeff Zygmont ForbesAutos.com

Insurance companies set rates according to how much they expect to shell out if you should wreck your car. They also factor in the probability that you will wreck your car, based on the composite histories of people who own the same model. These ten most expensive models to insure are pricey vehicles to begin with. On top of that, they possess idiosyncrasies that can contribute to higher repair costs.

High-performance models made for athletic, aggressive driving are more likely to tempt you to make risky maneuvers. Powerful engines entice you to drive faster, which not only increases the likelihood of accidents, but also can increase the severity of damage if you do encounter an unavoidable obstacle.

Other idiosyncrasies drive up the cost of repairs after you encounter such an obstacle. Lightweight materials like aluminum can cost more to straighten than plain old steel. Sport suspensions and brakes can require more time in the shop to repair. They can demand more skill from technicians and call for expensive replacement parts. The same applies to exotic engines; complicated mechanisms like, say, retractable hard tops; and to sophisticated electronic systems such as adaptive suspensions. Even the location of such systems can be a factor.

For example, the expensive radar sensors used by adaptive cruise control are typically hidden in the front end, where they're particularly prone to damage even in minor dust-ups.

The Most Expensive Vehicles To Insure:
1. Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG
2. Lincoln Town Car BPS
3. BMW 760 Li
4. Audi A8L W12
5. Mercedes-Benz G55 AMG
6. Volkswagen Phaeton W12
7. Porsche Cayenne Turbo
8. Acura NSX
9. Cadillac XLR
10. Land Rover Range Rover HSE

Our list was compiled for ForbesAutos.com from ratings published by the Insurance Services Office and we arranged the cars from the highest manufacturer's suggested retail price to the lowest. The information was pulled together by John Paul, a manager for AAA's Southern New England branch. These vehicles receive the highest risk rating for vehicle damage that the ISO assigns. Technically speaking, in June 2005 (the service updates the rankings regularly, as vehicle histories change), these cars and SUVs received a rating of 27 on a scale of one to 27.

These numbers, also called the Vehicle Symbol Rating, were calculated based on each new make, model and price range, or an estimate of the value using the current MSRP. So for example, all new vehicles that list for $80,000 or more will be given a VSR of 27, and that makes them equal insurance hazards according to ISO's methodology. From there, individual underwriters assign their own rates, which is why savvy consumers comparison shop among insurers.

This ranking applies only to the physical-damage portion of a policy. The price of personal-injury protection is computed separately but according to Highway Loss Data Institute's Kim Hazelbaker, the company's senior vice president, physical damage is the major component of a new-vehicle policy. Other factors also affect your individual insurance premium, especially the area in which you live and work and your personal driving record. A comparison of the relative insurance losses of all cars — a good indication of their relative insurance rates — is available in the report "'Injury, Collision and Theft Losses by Make and Model,"' at HLDI's website.

The list shows that insurance rates are granular: They break down into particular versions of vehicles.

For example, a 50-year-old husband and wife who own a home in Washington, DC, have clean driving records, and finance a basic, 2005 Porsche Cayenne will pay $1,666 annually for the recommended policy from Progressive.com. But if the Cayenne is the turbocharged version, the couple's annual premium jumps to $2,097.
Old 07-09-05, 01:06 PM
kazam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To bad. IMO, the CL65 is the slickest car available.
Old 07-09-05, 01:53 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kazam

Also not a cheap toy.
Old 07-09-05, 01:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by kazam
Then CL65 is not in their top 10 list . . .
Old 07-09-05, 02:06 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Glad to see that this chart somewhat follows the UNreliability chart. At Least they are actually seeing which cars DESERVE higher insurance, as opposed to simple brand name and expensive car rate association.
Old 07-09-05, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's some interesting data for #2 on the list..the Town Car BPS. This car is almost impervious to damage except in extreme cases. I guess the only reason it is on the top 10 list is the difficulty and cost of replacing it.
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...05/295093.html

The only other interesting question is why the Corvette, with its high accident rate and very high cost of repairs to the fiberglass body, is not on the list.
Old 07-09-05, 07:08 PM
cantsleepnk
Driver

I'm surprised the Vette is not on the list.
Old 07-09-05, 07:23 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Any Lexi (spelling?) made the list? Not the top 10 but lower
Old 07-09-05, 08:05 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

The Town Car BPS is a tank. I'm surprised there are no significant engine upgrades. 239hp, weighing in EMPTY at 6220 pounds! That's like a normal sedan, about 3000 pounds with only 120hp. That thing better be safe, cuz it's a pig.

James
Old 07-09-05, 08:32 PM
LexFather

I figure if I can afford most of those cars, I can afford the insurance

Old 07-09-05, 08:37 PM
KneeShoe00
Lexus Test Driver

what he said.

- Nizhu
Old 07-09-05, 10:46 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jet864
The Town Car BPS is a tank. I'm surprised there are no significant engine upgrades. 239hp, weighing in EMPTY at 6220 pounds! That's like a normal sedan, about 3000 pounds with only 120hp. That thing better be safe, cuz it's a pig.

James
I just might have a chance against that lincoln!...... sigh*
Old 07-09-05, 11:27 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cantsleepnk
I'm surprised the Vette is not on the list.
yea, considering the fact the Vette is now all-aluminum, and there are only a few techs that are certified by I-CAR to weld on aluminum.
Old 07-10-05, 04:22 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

what about the trully exotic cars ie lambos, massa, ferraris?
Old 07-10-05, 12:25 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I am surprised they don't give more people who are likely targets in Iraq vehicles like that Lincoln Towncar BPS, as it would save many lives. Mercedes S class, BMW 7 series, Land Rover, and Chevy Suburban also have armored versions that can be sold at certain dealers. The Mercedes uses a supercharger or turbo and I think a larger engine to deal with the extra weight. I think they even make them to be able to withstand a RPG hit and some even have flame throwers, tear gas launchers, and gun ports to fire back at an attacker. There is also a company that will armor any car you bring to them in the U.S. but I forgot the name.

Many of these cars on the list are expensive but they are also built like tanks and probrably offer better passenger protection with the morst safety features. I am not sure why many exotics like Lamborgini or Ferrari are not on that list other then they are too rare or maybe there are special provisions where since most owners don't drive these vehicles much they can be classified as collectors or show cars.

Quick Reply: Most Expensive Vehicles to Insure