Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Selling my SC400...What to get next???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-05, 12:44 PM
Alpha8A
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling my SC400...What to get next???

Welll my parents are making me sell my SC400 and making me get a more "efficient" car. They wanted me to purchase something like a Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla. I want to compromise with something like a Celica, Integra, RSX, or something i that range. What are yalls opinions??? My budget is around 10-12k.
Old 07-10-05, 02:44 PM
xioix
Racer

what kinda efficent, just fuel or does it have to be a sensible daily driver
Old 07-10-05, 03:07 PM
Alpha8A
Driver

efficient in both ways (meaning not a V8)
Old 07-10-05, 03:46 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

In no particular order:

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS sedan
2001 Nissan Maxima SE
2002 Infiniti G20 (especially the "Touring" version)
2002 VW Jetta GLS 1.8 Turbo
2002 Acura Integra GS-R or Type R (if you can find one)
2000 Honda Civic Si (if you can find one)
2002 Honda Accord Coupe
2001 Volvo S40 (more reliable than you might think - it was developed jointly w/ Mitsubishi)
1999 Audi A4 1.8T
1998 BMW 323is coupe (2.5 liter)
2001 Lincoln LS sedan (might be able to pick it up around 12 grand)
2001 Saab 9-3 2-door hatch
1999 Acura TL (watch out for bad-tranny)
1997 Acura RL (I love that car ... but not very sporty)
and ... don't laugh:
2003 Buick Regal GS (supercharged 3.8 liter) - reliable vehicle, decent performance, nice interior, may have some warranty left
2003 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 sedan (I have a love affair w/ this car)

Some of those may not be quite as efficient as you're looking for. I guess I got got carried away. Good luck w/ your search!

M.
Old 07-10-05, 04:39 PM
LexFather

Scion Tc

Old 07-10-05, 04:47 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

How about a 97-01 Honda prelude. They are fun to drive and are easy on the pocket
Old 07-10-05, 05:34 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd try to stick with a toyota, or a honda. as used vehicles--they don't get much better.

and i wouldn't buy used European cars....depreciation, maintenance costs will probably make the SC400 a more practical car.

tC is NOT 10-12K, even used--since it's only been out on the market since summer/fall of 04 as a 05 model.
Old 07-10-05, 05:47 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

SCOOBIE!!!!

Pros
-4wd
-2.5 turbo 4
-rally heritage
Cons
-speeding tickets
-Bug Eyed headlights (depending on year)
-Boy Racer image

or if u need something less attractive to cops, get an SC300. at least its a L6 not a V8.

-Annant
Old 07-10-05, 06:36 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
SCOOBIE!!!!

Pros
-4wd
-2.5 turbo 4
-rally heritage
Cons
-speeding tickets
-Bug Eyed headlights (depending on year)
-Boy Racer image

or if u need something less attractive to cops, get an SC300. at least its a L6 not a V8.

-Annant
gas is about the same as the V8
Old 07-10-05, 08:20 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Is the SC400 your car or your parents car? Do you really want to sell it or no?

Personally I would not let my parents iffluence me against my will when it comes to my own property, thats the caveat though it has to be your before such a decision can be made.
Old 07-10-05, 08:38 PM
Alpha8A
Driver

heres the situation...its my sister's old car and my parents bought it off of her for me. now they changed their minds and want me to sell it because they think that the insurance + the gas will cost too much. i dont think that makes any sense when i can only sell it for 5-6k and a new corolla or civic or something in that range is maybe 7-10k. ive already put a lot of work into it trying to restore it thinking that i would be able to keep it.

personally, i love the freakin car. its looks great and drives nice and its also "exclusive" meaning not everyone else has it like a civic or corolla. the car right now has 132,000 miles and i think it still drives strong. i've heard from many on these boards that the car is really reliabe (toyota) and that many have had 200,000+ miles on their car and it still drives like new. do you think that my SC400 is more reliable than a corolla or civic. will it last me for the next 6 years? thanks to all of you for your opinions.
Old 07-10-05, 09:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

its basically a 'yota. so , as long as you keep it maintained then it should lsat you for WELL over 250,000 miles. insurance for the car shouldnt be that much tho, because its a 4.0L Automatic.

i speak from experience, im 16 and have a '95 LS400. i was given the choice of this (relatives car for sale) or getting a new camry or corrola.

if ur nice to ur lex, itl be nice to you bak.

-Annant
Old 07-10-05, 09:18 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Alpha8A
heres the situation...its my sister's old car and my parents bought it off of her for me. now they changed their minds and want me to sell it because they think that the insurance + the gas will cost too much. i dont think that makes any sense when i can only sell it for 5-6k and a new corolla or civic or something in that range is maybe 7-10k. ive already put a lot of work into it trying to restore it thinking that i would be able to keep it.

personally, i love the freakin car. its looks great and drives nice and its also "exclusive" meaning not everyone else has it like a civic or corolla. the car right now has 132,000 miles and i think it still drives strong. i've heard from many on these boards that the car is really reliabe (toyota) and that many have had 200,000+ miles on their car and it still drives like new. do you think that my SC400 is more reliable than a corolla or civic. will it last me for the next 6 years? thanks to all of you for your opinions.
Personally id give them hell and resist trading such a nice car for some newer economy lesser car. But unfortunately.. they bought you the car so its really their car.

Noting you can do but talk them into it, tell them you dont wnat to get rid of it, tell them that insurance at that age will be expensive no matter what you get. The SC400 is not more reliable then a corolla or civic, its just as reliable as one, but when things go wrong they get expensive. My advice learn the car have someone older and more experienced teach you basic mechanic skills, and know where to shop for parts. I have found this places helpful for used but good parts.
www.car-parts.com
www.ebay.com
and for brand new lexus parts when you absolutely need a new lexus part. You will save considerably over buying it at your local dealership.
www.newlexusparts.com
Maintenance will go from unbearable to affordable if you know where to shop, and you learn to do your own maintenance.

But it is a much more solid car it honestly is a tank imo, and this is what you argue to your parents, it is a safer car then any of the options they are suggesting to you. Im well and alive thanks to my sc300, when someone in a sunfire decided to not stop for the red light, and rear ended me at 40+ mph. Not only did it protect me well, it was solid enough to where it totally destroyed the car that hit me thus the car that hit me taking most of the damaging force. Although I went through hell and back restoring the car back that if it were to happen again id just replace it for another sc300, since I gotten to know this model, ill be staying with this model line for quite some time even if my financial situation improves with time.. (theyll just get less and less stock sc300s with time! .

The only drawback of this car is gas mileage and fact it needs premium gas. Only thing you can do is limit your driving, thats what I do, I only use my car to work and back, and occasionally a weekend cruise, but if im going somewhere with a friend, I try to catch a ride whenever I can, with work being so close I have averaged a tank every 2 weeks. This time due to other circumstances (radiator) Im about to get 3 weeks into the tank. Although I can see it going down once things are back into shape.
Old 07-10-05, 09:30 PM
Alpha8A
Driver

Inabj2 thanks a lot for your lengthy and informative response. i know the car is a tank. ive been told that many times by others. the body is very strong and solid unlike these new cheaper cars with thinner and weaker sheetmetal. im going to show my parents your post so they wont think that im just making this all up. the gas mileage will hurt though either way were going to have to compromise with something...hopefully in a way that ill get to keep the sc
Old 07-10-05, 09:48 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Alpha8A
Inabj2 thanks a lot for your lengthy and informative response. i know the car is a tank. ive been told that many times by others. the body is very strong and solid unlike these new cheaper cars with thinner and weaker sheetmetal. im going to show my parents your post so they wont think that im just making this all up. the gas mileage will hurt though either way were going to have to compromise with something...hopefully in a way that ill get to keep the sc
Haha im going to go watch a movie if they still need more reasons I can perhaps try to prove that if the car is maintained and in good shape itll still cost less overall then to sell the car and buy a newer lesser more expensive car, even with higher fuel consumption and routine maintenance! :P.

Quick Reply: Selling my SC400...What to get next???