Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why so many Z's For Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-05, 03:18 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
It'll be a different story if Nissan stop production of the 350 now. People will either snap it up or keep it longer as it'll be considered a classic. But whenever an affordable sportscar is constantly getting better or more variety is offered(convertable), there's really no reason to stick with a 3 year old one. I think to many people, the 350Z is just the stepping stone to a faster vehicle like a Z06 or the next GT-R or to a more luxurious and softer riding vehicle.
I've owned a lot of sports cars and I don't see the 350Z as a car that is a stepping stone. It has a character all its own. I've owned 944,928S4,911 Carrera, NSX, RX7TT, several Z's, Vettes. Chevelle SS 396 (375hp). etc, etc. and the Z is one of the most fun to drive and gets more looks and then any of them. But I did years ago go form a RX7TT to a new SC400 because I wanted more luxury and comfort, but I missed the fun of driving the RX7TT. They are all good just different. A guy at the gym today drove his new Ferreri 575M, silver, now that is a good lookin ride.
Old 07-11-05, 05:06 PM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There are basically four things about this car that have turned people off. First, the cheap-looking and cheap-feeling interior....a problem shared by other recent Nissan products as well. Second, the large and thick cargo-bed cross-strut in back that, while giving the car chassis rigidity, severly impacts what you can load and carry back there. Third, the factory defects in suspension and alignment that wear out tires unevenly and prematurely and cause unacceptable road noise.Fourth, the better quality found on some of the Z's most direct competitors like the Honda S2000 and Mazda RX-8, although the RX-8 has some problems of its own with generally high gas and unacceptably high oil consumption.

I can understand your third point..."factory defects in suspension, etc"...but your other three points to me would be reasons not to buy the Z in the first place. I think most of the people who bought this car thought it was a great looking car that was fun to drive. So the idea of the novelty wearing off, I believe is valid. I don't know the demographic of the majority of the people who bought/leased these cars, but I'm sure by now being 3-4 years older, many of them have needs for different types of vehicles. I can't see many people trading in a Z for an S2000 or and RX-8, I believe they would have just purchased that car initially. Just my $.02.
Old 07-11-05, 07:02 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

see any G35 coupes while you were looking on autotrader? this is kinda the cycle of things. the Z was an affordable sports car that the entry level exec could afford without pissing off his wife/accountant. now after 3 yrs, he should be making a good bit more money and may be ready for something different and more exciting. this isnt a disparaging comment on the Z. im sure the used Z's will get scarfed up just as quick as the new ones were 3 yrs ago. this isnt really a story, if you think about it. i will be trading my car in for a new Z06 in '06. nothing against the G, but damn. 500 HP and i can afford it (with some hocus pocus )

Doc
Old 07-12-05, 11:14 AM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

The 350Z is one of the best bang for the buck and if you accept it for what it is, it's an awesome ride. But if you're a hardcore enthusiasts looking for major power, then all of the sudden it became to expensive. Combine that with it's internals not being strong enough for huge power increases like the nonturbo 2jz in the GS and IS, it makes it a tough decision to spend the cash for mods.

After rebuilding the engine, a twin turbo setup and lots of time tunning to ensure reliability, the price of a heavily modded 350z(with rims/suspension) starts knocking on the doors of a Z06 or upcoming GT-R, but without a waranty. Only a few hardcore enthusiast would choose this route, most 350Z buyers are slightly older folks(with wife and kids), not your Honda Civic or EVO buyers so they tend to be very conservative when it comes to mods. I'm almost 100%sure many who trade in their Z coupe is due to the stiff ride and most will not go on to a Z06 or GT-R, but to something more luxurious and softer. That's just my guess tho.
Old 07-12-05, 11:33 AM
LexFather

For under 30k, its very tough to argue against the 350Z. At that price, its really something. Its done tons to give Nissan its sporty image back. People will just buy these cars used like no tomorrow.

BTW, the tranny in the long term Road and Track 350Z blew. But Nissan fixed it under warrenty.

The "Z" has always offered near or more expensive car performance for less money, since the original Datsun 240Z. It grew into the 280Z which was pretty unloved as it got bigger and heavier. The 80s Z= but the 1989-1995 Z and the TTis considered by many experts to be THE Nissan and one of the top sports cars ever made. It looked like nothing else, the interior was top notch and performance was staggering.

The Z was brought back and designed with very trendy styling, giant wheel arches, the rear STB brace with the interior looking like the original 240Z (sadly seemingly made with the same 1970s parts). It shares its engine with 100 cars, the same platform as 50 cars, thus they could hold the price down. The FM platfom is just downright sporty!

The Z was a hit!! It had been ages seen we saw a Japanese sports coupe. It had torque, acceleration was very decent and it handled well. It wasn't too long ago mark-up for these cars was 40k take it or leave it.

The aftermarket loved it, hell there must have been a hundred 350Zs at SEMA when it debuted.

I am sure the next Z will extend on the currents ones hits and hopefully fix the misses and I hope they continue to keep the price down.

Old 07-12-05, 11:39 AM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Nissan should have Honda design their manual tranny and Honda should have Nissan design them some auto tranny.
Old 07-12-05, 12:01 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
The 350Z is one of the best bang for the buck and if you accept it for what it is, it's an awesome ride. But if you're a hardcore enthusiasts looking for major power, then all of the sudden it became to expensive. Combine that with it's internals not being strong enough for huge power increases like the nonturbo 2jz in the GS and IS, it makes it a tough decision to spend the cash for mods.

After rebuilding the engine, a twin turbo setup and lots of time tunning to ensure reliability, the price of a heavily modded 350z(with rims/suspension) starts knocking on the doors of a Z06 or upcoming GT-R, but without a waranty. Only a few hardcore enthusiast would choose this route, most 350Z buyers are slightly older folks(with wife and kids), not your Honda Civic or EVO buyers so they tend to be very conservative when it comes to mods. I'm almost 100%sure many who trade in their Z coupe is due to the stiff ride and most will not go on to a Z06 or GT-R, but to something more luxurious and softer. That's just my guess tho.
Little off on your info there friend:

I have personally driven several F/I 350Z's that to this day are running strong after a year of daily driving!

There are a host of F/I options including Supercharged, Single and Twin-Turbo available for $5k - $15k depending upon your wallet. I personally know of several examples of TT setups for $10 - $12k installed making 400+rwhp. So some simple math -
Performance Model: (best version IMO) $32k (alot less if going pre-owned)
Suspension: My Eibachs are more than ample for $500
Wheels: Too subjective! Let's use a reasonable amount: $2500 wheels & tires

So..... for @ $45k we are looking at a VERY: Fast, Great Handling, Great Looking, Reliable (user/owner depending) Timeless Design Sports Car that will run/perform with cars TWICE as much? Ladies & Gentlemen...... I believe we have a WINNER!!!
Old 07-12-05, 02:28 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE

I have personally driven several F/I 350Z's that to this day are running strong after a year of daily driving!

There are a host of F/I options including Supercharged, Single and Twin-Turbo available for $5k - $15k depending upon your wallet. I personally know of several examples of TT setups for $10 - $12k installed making 400+rwhp. So some simple math -

So..... for @ $45k we are looking at a VERY: Fast, Great Handling, Great Looking, Reliable (user/owner depending) Timeless Design Sports Car that will run/perform with cars TWICE as much? Ladies & Gentlemen...... I believe we have a WINNER!!!
If I wanted something to blow the doors off other cars I would go with the 350Z and the above mod's before I would get the vette. The Z is better looking and would be your custom vehicle versus a GM vehicle. Don't like GM/FORD/DC JMHO
Old 07-12-05, 08:16 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE

That's a great deal indeed. But I guess I'm a little more hardcore and somewhat "cheaper" than you. 400rwhp is not good enough for me to justify spending that much. I prefer to start with a car that can easily handle that with plenty of reserve like an IS300, GS300, or if you can find a low mileage MKIV SupraTT for the price of a loaded new 350Z. Of course the Z looks way better IMO than all three Toyota models, but the 2JZ is so much more smoother and refine than the VQ and doesn't feel or sound stressed at high RPM even when making more than 500rwhp. You would think that at 3.5 liter, a Nissan motor built for performance duty should be able to handle more than 400rwhp reliably as the old 300zxTT's little 3.0 has proven. On the other hand, It's very possible that the bar has been raised so high by the 2jz that I expect any 6cyls from Japan to handle more than 400rwhp with ease. I'd be disappointed if the V6 in the camry couldn't handle 400rwhp. If you compare the VQ to equivalent nornally aspirated 6cyl from Detroit or Europe, the VQ pretty much put them all to shame, but it's just another nice V6 from Japan. So Props to Japan's manufactorers for giving us more bang for the buck.

Having said that, the fact still remains, at 400rwhp, the VQ is pretty much maxed out, so I highly doubt it'll be that reliable, even if it doesn't leave it's owner stranded, it's life span has been shorten significantly. It won't be long before more money has to be poor into rebuilding it, not to mention bigger turbos, intercoolers, fuel supplies, custom manifolds, DFI, etc. now that the rebuilt engine can handle more. Plus many many hours more for tuning. I like doing it right by building on solid foundations the first time. Based on experience with many modified vehicles, driving around in a vehicle where the engine is maxed is too much of a time bomb for me. When all is said and done, for about the same or a bit more money, one can get an 07/08 GT-R or ZO6 that comes with the same HP or more and has a warranty and better handling to boot. Or for way less money than turbocharging a new 350z, I'd twin turbocharge a 1UZ into an FD or second gen RX7 and have the best of both world. But as far as looks, the 350Z will also be timeless in my book.

Wheels might be subjective but the reality is, unless you're good friends with a speedshop, $2500 can only get generic looking or at best an OK set of 19" that most likely won't have the right offset, not the high quality, forged deep dish 3 piece made by big brand makers which a cool vehicle like the 350Z needs to look right. To me, 20" is the only way to go on that car. Even with the right offset and design from the right brand, a set of 19" is nice, but just doesn't have "THAT" modified look. I've messed around long enough with different wheels and tires over the years to know that if you want to make an impression on the street, get the biggest that'll fit on ones particular car and the best design you've always wanted no matter how much it cost and you won't regret it. Compramise really suks and will ultimately cost you almost as much if not more and leaves you unfulfil. With the 20s, most likely handling sharpness will improve and car will corner flatter. Of course non of this matters if ones pocket book is bottomless.