Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Man, just when i thought i was over the TL...(no slow mo 56)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-05, 03:34 PM
biggiejimz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000gs300
photo shopped. u can get over it right now
i dont think its a photoshop. over at acura-tl.com, ronjon has already started making the kits and has already shipped out a few. there are some more tl with the kit on already. hes been making those wheels for a bit now... the only thing thats a photoshop is the vinals and the front mesh grill on the last pic. but like everyone says, "if only it were rwd or awd." imagine how many more of the tls they would of sold and how much more interest they would gain from enthusiasts, if honda spent the extra bucks to develop a rwd platform. but for 35 and some change out-the-door, for a navi 6mt...its tempting...IF i can get over the whole fwd thing...but i cant so and dont even get me started on honda/acura service...
Old 07-11-05, 04:20 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Thats an awesome kit! A forum member custom made it for the TL. He also makes wheels specifically for acura cars. Hes a really nice guy. And the kit is real. The grille was photoshopped on there to give the members an idea of what it would look like. The kit can be found at ronjonwheels.com
Old 07-11-05, 04:25 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I like this idea, & I like the looks of the TL better than the RL.
I agree. The TL is a much better over all package from it's more expensive big brother RL to even it's inexpensive little brother TSX.
Old 07-11-05, 05:41 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

kit looks great on the TL but im not feeling the rear
Old 07-11-05, 06:41 PM
LexFather

I actually think the rear on the TL is its best aspect, looks good to me. The wheels are very good looking, I hope Acura enthusiasts support their own (Ronjon) and do the right thing instead of slapping staggered setups on FWD cars trying to pose.
I don't like the front, it shows the FWD design, very nose-heavy. From the side, the TL looks good to me. Its a good looking sedan. The interior is designed nice as well.

I cannot figure out why they didn't let the TL designers get the RL, unless its the same team which I would find very hard to believe.

Old 07-11-05, 06:48 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eh....
Old 07-11-05, 10:55 PM
TSXtacy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I actually think the rear on the TL is its best aspect, looks good to me. The wheels are very good looking, I hope Acura enthusiasts support their own (Ronjon) and do the right thing instead of slapping staggered setups on FWD cars trying to pose.
I don't like the front, it shows the FWD design, very nose-heavy. From the side, the TL looks good to me. Its a good looking sedan. The interior is designed nice as well.

I cannot figure out why they didn't let the TL designers get the RL, unless its the same team which I would find very hard to believe.
I believe American Honda was allowed to fully work on the USDM Acura TL, which is not even offered as a Honda in Japan. The current Honda Inspire (which was the Acura TL in previous generations) is the USDM Honda Accord.
Old 07-12-05, 04:01 PM
BkLexZ
Pole Position

Drove one yesterday my cousin came to visit with his new acquisition he had a 2003 gs300 before he got that. I took it for a little highway run and was disapointed. First of all it reminded me how much i hate front wheel drive, the acceleration was pretty weak for the 270hp. The suspension was bouncy on the freeway but it was nice inside and the seats were comfortable. In other words I would never buy this car.
Old 07-12-05, 08:37 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

TL is in desperate need of a deeper front spoiler. As it is, it's too azz heavy like the Mazda 6. The front needs to be deeper to balance out the rest of the car so it'll look more like the 3 series from which it's overall profile suggests.
Old 07-12-05, 09:10 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BkLexZ
Drove one yesterday my cousin came to visit with his new acquisition he had a 2003 gs300 before he got that. I took it for a little highway run and was disapointed. First of all it reminded me how much i hate front wheel drive, the acceleration was pretty weak for the 270hp. The suspension was bouncy on the freeway but it was nice inside and the seats were comfortable. In other words I would never buy this car.
That's funny, cuz I test drove an 03 GS 300 not long ago and found it to be almost exactly the way you've described the TL. Except an 03 GS interior was pretty plain and plasticky looking, reminded me of camries from the early 90s than a modern Lexus. It didn't seem worthy of the price they charged when compared to the TL's awesome interior. The GS also had a very soft suspension and skinny tires that contributes to lots of annoying body roll that does not inspire confidence when the roads start turning. Being RWD makes it even more scary when the weather acts up. While the GS didn't have the torque steer of the TL it was pretty slow and I had a hard time keeping up with V6 camries and pesky Neons. I never felt like I was driving something special, more like a Toyota with much nicer leather seats. Unlike BMWs 3.o liter the GS 3.0 was not underated, it felt weak and also suk more gas than equiavlent 3 liters for such a low out put engine. The worst use of the awesome 2JZ IMO. They should've drop the lighter(aluminum blocked) and more torquey V6 from the RX300 into last gens GS and current IS and both vehicle would've perform better while being more economical. As it is, the TL will easily out handle and out accelerate an 03 and possibly even the 06 GS300.
Old 07-12-05, 09:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

pretty nice. i think i have seen that kits before. it defintley makes the car looks a lot better. much better than the oem a spec kits
Old 07-12-05, 09:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
That's funny, cuz I test drove an 03 GS 300 not long ago and found it to be almost exactly the way you've described the TL. Except an 03 GS interior was pretty plain and plasticky looking, reminded me of camries from the early 90s than a modern Lexus. It didn't seem worthy of the price they charged when compared to the TL's awesome interior. The GS also had a very soft suspension and skinny tires that contributes to lots of annoying body roll that does not inspire confidence when the roads start turning. Being RWD makes it even more scary when the weather acts up. While the GS didn't have the torque steer of the TL it was pretty slow and I had a hard time keeping up with V6 camries and pesky Neons. I never felt like I was driving something special, more like a Toyota with much nicer leather seats. Unlike BMWs 3.o liter the GS 3.0 was not underated, it felt weak and also suk more gas than equiavlent 3 liters for such a low out put engine. The worst use of the awesome 2JZ IMO. They should've drop the lighter(aluminum blocked) and more torquey V6 from the RX300 into last gens GS and current IS and both vehicle would've perform better while being more economical. As it is, the TL will easily out handle and out accelerate an 03 and possibly even the 06 GS300.
Yeah, its an awful car, that GS, Being Car of the year, a 10 best winner twice, with the GS 300 winning its inital comparo in Motor Trend and still faring damn well 7 years later, but it was just an awful car, just a huge mistake. It was such a mistake wasn't it. As a matter of fact, all of the people here that own one, must be idiots, with that plastic interior, and awful performance, what were they thinking? Surely they could have bought the better Japanese competition at the time. Or at least gone German.

Idiots, all of us

Old 07-12-05, 09:46 PM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah, its an awful car, that GS, Being Car of the year, a 10 best winner twice, with the GS 300 winning its inital comparo in Motor Trend and still faring damn well 7 years later, but it was just an awful car, just a huge mistake. It was such a mistake wasn't it. As a matter of fact, all of the people here that own one, must be idiots, with that plastic interior, and awful performance, what were they thinking? Surely they could have bought the better Japanese competition at the time. Or at least gone German.

Idiots, all of us
What's your point? A butt ugly slowazz accord puts the best gs record to shame. Some older accords are even sportier to drive than a GS.

Anyway....The fact remains, TL has better looking and way less plasticky interior, is faster, gets better mpg and will out handle last gen GS300 all day long, safer in winter driving conditions(FWD). It's even sportier looking. If you want to imply that anyone who buys a gs 300 is an idiot, go ahead, just don't accuse me of that.
Old 07-12-05, 09:56 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's your point? A butt ugly slowazz accord puts the best gs record to shame. Some older accords are even sportier to drive than a GS.

Anyway....The fact remains, TL has better looking and way less plasticky interior, is faster, gets better mpg and will out handle last gen GS300 all day long, safer in winter driving conditions(FWD). It's even sportier looking. If you want to imply that anyone who buys a gs 300 is an idiot, go ahead, just don't accuse me of that.
oh yah, the GS interior is real cheap and plasticky. looks just terrible right.
one of the classiest interiors out there

nobody said the GS3 was fast, that's what the GS4xx is for.
Attached Thumbnails Man, just when i thought i was over the TL...(no slow mo 56)-gs-int.jpg  
Old 07-12-05, 10:03 PM
LexFather

What best GS record? Do you mean 0-60 time, aka, you won't go to heaven if your car doesn't do 0-60mph in 4 seconds flat? PLEEEEEEEEEASE. This is a luxury car forum, its about luxury and the whole package, not attaining some number that will keep 3 people happy and someone will be faster anyway.

No, there is no Accord sportier than the GS. I've driven both extensively, its not even close, base to base, EX Accord To base GS 300. Did you read ANY review? Part of the reason the GS was so well liked, it handled like a coupe to reviwers. Did you read ANY from 1998-2005? Or just the one you can pick on?

YOUR OPINION Is not a FACT.
TL is better looking=opinion
TL has a less plasticky interior=opinion
faster than a GS 300=fact
outhandle a GS=opinion
better MPG=fact. I hope to God a brand new engine gets better gas mileage than an engine that was made for FORCED INDUCTION and is 12 years old.
safer in winter=GHEY. People have bought RWD cars in winter since the begining, its not an issue. Its an issue to those on the internet that don't even drive in the damn snow.

The guy stated his opinion of when he drove the TL. I don't agree with some of it, I've never driven an 04 TL that feels slow b/c you can feel the hell outta the torque steer for one. But you decide to BASH the WHOLE GS based on what he said.

If you don't realize the GS forum is the most active forum on Clublexus. So for you to say those things about the GS, well, flame suit on. Your barking up the totally wrong tree.

Quick Reply: Man, just when i thought i was over the TL...(no slow mo 56)