Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NSX Successor to be announced tonight, '05 is final year of current model

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-05, 06:30 PM
LexFather

Default NSX Successor to be announced tonight, '05 is final year of current model

We've just received word that a memo was circulated to Acura dealers today regarding an announcement that will be made "this evening" with respect to the future of the NSX. In particular the memo advises that production of the current generation NSX will cease at the end of this year due to strict '06 standards for emissions and equipment in US, Europe and Asia.

In addition, the memo says that "it is too early to discuss specific details" (of the next NSX model), but it continues by saying that this "ultra high-performance vehicle will be just as groundbreaking as the 1991 NSX was when introduced fifteen years ago."

This is all we know at this point. If we were to guess, it seems that perhaps the official announcement will be released on http://world.honda.com.

UPDATE: we've just learned that "this evening" means 7PM Pacific Time.

UPDATE 2: Please note that the nature of the release that's coming at 7PM Pacific time is mostly about the end of the current NSX's run. It's only going to mention that Honda/Acura is currently developing the next generation NSX. There will be no mention of the timetable, but we're pretty sure it's not going to be available next year. We're hoping that there will be more information at the upcoming Tokyo Motor Show. If so, we better quickly figure out how to fund another trip there to cover it!
Last edited by Jeff on July 11, 2005 21:26

Old 07-11-05, 06:40 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NSX successor? Sounds good to me. I thought they were totally killing off the nsx though. I guess with infiniti releasing the GT-R and lexus releasing something as well, acura just couldnt be left behind
Old 07-11-05, 06:43 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

I welcome the news of a new NSX
Old 07-11-05, 07:10 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

7:13 PST, 10:13 EST now. Any updates?
Old 07-11-05, 07:35 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Acura Developing a Successor to NSX
Current Generation NSX Production to Halt at Year End

TORRANCE, Calif. 07/11/2005 -- To further enhance the division's performance image, Acura is developing a new sports car to succeed the award-winning NSX supercar. Acura also announced that production of the current generation NSX will cease at the end of the year due to the extensive retooling necessary to meet stringent 2006 emissions and equipment regulations for the U.S., Europe and Asia.

"We are committed to having an ultra high-performance vehicle in the Acura lineup in the future," said John Mendel, senior vice president, automobile operations. "It's too early to comment on specifics, but the all-new model will be just as groundbreaking as the 1991 NSX."

As the first-ever supercar from Japan, the NSX was created as a hand-built, exotic, mid-engine sports car that would establish entirely new levels of performance, refinement and drivability. The NSX went on sale in the summer of 1990 and the following year posted record U.S. sales of 1,940 vehicles. Through June of 2005, NSX cumulative sales totaled 8,854 in the U.S. and more than 18,000 worldwide.

During its 15-year run, the NSX has been showered with accolades including, Automobile Magazine's "Automobile of the Year and Design of the Year" awards, Popular Science's "Best of What's New," Road &Track's "Ten Best Cars in the World" list. Motor Trend magazine also named the NSX to its "Top Ten Performance Cars" list and touted it as "the best sports car ever built."

Acura designed the NSX as a technological and performance showcase. Among other innovations, it was the first production car to feature an all-aluminum body, chassis, and suspension and to utilize titanium connecting rods. It featured a transversely mounted dual overhead cam V-6 engine equipped with Acura's breakthrough VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) system and a variable volume induction system.

Over time, the NSX received continuous updates to ensure its competitiveness and popularity with serious sports car enthusiasts. The NSX has also captured multiple championships in the highest levels of sports car and prototype racing.

Additional Acura information and downloadable high-resolution images of the NSX are available at www.acuranews.com.
# # #
Old 07-11-05, 07:46 PM
LexFather

I am thinking with Nissan and Toyota coming with super-cars soon, Honda decided it could not be left out.
I am SO curious, will it be like the original, about purity and lightweight? Or will be feature SH-AWD, be a hybrid, etc.

This is GREAT news, the NSX DESERVES to stay

Let me go snoop more at the NSX forums I am a member of

Old 07-11-05, 07:56 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome. 3 supercars coming from Japan.

MB already has the SLR. Time for BMW to build a Z8 successor that's raw?

Didn't Audi have a concept supercar?
Old 07-11-05, 07:59 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

This looks to be the most solid information that Honda/Acura is going to do a brand new NSX which is very good news. I just hope they don't take forever to release this car and that they have been working on it for quite a while. This would be a great opportunity to showcase a v-8 or v-10. I would hope the car gets a v-8, turbo v-8, or v-10 which is what many people have heard or have been hinted to by insiders. Weight should not go up much and could possibly go lower with newer materials and technology. I don't wan't to see any hybrid electric powerplant in the new NSX as that technology does not need to be applied to high performance sports cars and repeated high speed runs and hybrid powerplants are not the best combinations(you would have seen them in professional motorsports by now if they were good for high performance). Don't know what the price will be but I doubt it will be over 100K. And please do not put a tuned RL v-6 even if it is combined with a hybrid in the new NSX as it will be a huge disappointment to enthusiasts and the car will not be taken seriously by buyers especially when looking at what a Corvette does for the money. The current NSX was and is a great car that set many standards with exotics like being reliable and more easy to drive when not on the track. The NSX is one of my favorite cars ever and still looks and performs better then 99% of the cars out. It is long past due for an NSX replacement or at least confirming that there is a NSX replacement and this is good news to enthusiast. I am sure Honda/Acura will not dissapoint.
Old 07-11-05, 08:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
Awesome. 3 supercars coming from Japan.

MB already has the SLR. Time for BMW to build a Z8 successor that's raw?

Didn't Audi have a concept supercar?
Audi will do the R9 which will be a 911 competitior. Lamborghini (owned by VW/Audi) was like HELL NO to an Audi supercar b/c that is they're market.

Audi is getting more and more serious about being the sporty German.

These are NOT what it will look like (next NSX)

Old 07-11-05, 09:28 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

That HSC concept would be hot if it lost the Stingray rear glass.

M.
Old 07-11-05, 09:58 PM
TSXtacy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sicklex, i swear to god i felt a chill and nearly started to tear ever so slightly. i'm so pleased!!!
Old 07-11-05, 10:04 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

More power to ACURA! HSC should be the next NSX and it looks SICK!

it wont be easy for HONDA tho since the current gen NSX was breakthorugh sport car came out from JDM land back in 1991 and it set the bar pretty high. So, it would be really interesting to see what is going to happen to new NSX! i cant wait and hopefully ACURA wont screw up. ( and i would love to see HONDA priced the new NSX right)
Old 07-11-05, 10:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TSXtacy
sicklex, i swear to god i felt a chill and nearly started to tear ever so slightly. i'm so pleased!!!
Its good news. For months we heard all sports cars from Honda were dead.

Old 07-12-05, 07:10 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just a Japanese magazines rendition, but if the next NSX looks anything like this below I'm all over it. In fact, even if they revise the HSC I'd buy one. But below is what I hope it will look like for the most part. Very exotic looking and definately worthy to be in the exotic mid engine class. In the picture below you can see a lot of HSC, a little NSX, and a little Lamborghini.

Old 07-12-05, 07:11 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
This is just a Japanese magazines rendition, but if the next NSX looks anything like this below I'm all over it. In fact, even if they revise the HSC I'd buy one. But below is what I hope it will look like for the most part. Very exotic looking and definately worth to be in the exotic mid engine class. In the picture below you can see a lot of HSC, a little NSX, and a little Lamborghini.

That looks hot

Quick Reply: NSX Successor to be announced tonight, '05 is final year of current model