Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Phaeton = Annoyington"- Autoextremist.com

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-05, 04:55 AM
LexFather

Default "Phaeton = Annoyington"- Autoextremist.com

From AutoExtremist.com-

===========
"Publisher's Note: We drove one last week - and we have officially dubbed it the "Annoyington" - for a long list of reasons. Formerly known as "Piech's Folly" around here, we were interested in finding out if the car had any redeeming qualities whatsoever, so we were able to have one delivered to our test fleet. We already know that it is an unmitigated marketing disaster - the answer to the question that absolutely no one was asking - because it has been a sales flop of gigantic proportions around the world, especially here in the U.S.

It doesn't matter that the basic platform is modified for use in the sensational Bentley Continental GT and Flying Spur - in VW guise the Phaeton is simply the rolling equivalent of the dog that won't hunt. It's the result of one of Ferdinand Piech's lethal thought balloons at the height of his tyrannical reign, when no one could say "no" to him - without the threat of their jobs being terminated.

The idea of taking VW way up market was pure stupidity, but the reality of it is even worse. How anyone could rationalize taking VW into luxury territory in this country - a market that's already saturated and fragmented by nameplates jostling for minuscule bits of market share - not to mention the havoc it would cause for the VW Group's existing Audi division - simply defies explanation. And on top of that, while VW engineers strained to marshal their resources to develop the Phaeton, VW's bread-and-butter models (Golf, Jetta) suffered, and new versions of them were late getting here (and still are, for that matter) - driving VW dealers over the edge.

As for the car, it's an exercise in frustration because there are some things about it that are admirable - the interior detailing is superb, the seats are wonderful (they conjure up the heyday of Mercedes-Benz, before that company lost its way), the vault-like solidity feel at speed is impressive (unfortunately, its porky 5,000+ lbs. curb weight has a lot to do with that), even the smartly designed cup holders (why they aren't copied by every manufacturer is a mystery), but the list of negatives far outweighs any of the positives (let's not even begin to discuss the incredibly bland styling -ed).

The Phaeton starts annoying you from the moment you turn the key, with the driver having to press a button on the info center twice before you can do anything else. That's every single time, folks (not to mention the fact that the screen admonishes you to obey traffic signs and not get distracted, etc. - didn't I already take driver's ed? -ed). And from there, the "Annoyington" unleashes a cacophony of beeps, chirps, warning signs and general hysteria for just about every possible driving scenario you might encounter (like beeping frantically if I remove my seatbelt at any time other than when the car is in PARK - ed).

This car is an exercise in out-of-control electronic big brother-ism and the epitome of "We know what's best for you and you will adhere to our wishes" German engineering at its absolute unbridled worst. In less than a week, the car had infuriated everybody here to the point that whatever few appealing qualities of it that we could recall were lost in the morass of relentless electronic overkill (not to mention the fact that this car simply has no soul - it's like all the ingredients of luxury are there but they just don't add up to a luxury experience -ed). Why anyone would buy or lease one of these instead of an Audi A8 - if you were into the whole alternative German luxury car thing (i.e., something besides a BMW or Mercedes), that is - is simply beyond us. "

Old 07-14-05, 07:43 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've always thought it was a good looking car, but it was never one that screamed "buy me now before i make you my love slave!" i don't know, i guess i like a car that says that.
Old 07-14-05, 08:13 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
From AutoExtremist.com-

===========
"Why anyone would buy or lease one of these instead of an Audi A8 - if you were into the whole alternative German luxury car thing (i.e., something besides a BMW or Mercedes), that is - is simply beyond us. "
It's not beyond me ... possibly $10-15k off the Phaeton's sticker and a couple grand cheaper than the A8 to begin with. If I had 50 grand sitting around and wanted a light (in the usage sense) tourer - you'd bet I'd buy one.

M.
Old 07-14-05, 08:18 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

The Phaeton is a nice car, but I like the A8 a lot more than the Phaeton & willing to pay more for one, & it has nothing to do with the badge on the car.
Old 07-14-05, 08:29 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

$50k for the car would definitely have made it an excellent purchase.

Piech... what an ego. VW compete with MB when Audi's having a difficult go of it already? Puh-leeze.
Old 07-14-05, 09:17 AM
sicknickel
Driver School Candidate

Its okay car I would rather take a 06 GS300 or a 5 series over it
Old 07-14-05, 09:42 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

It's still every "pimp my ride" gangsta's dream car.
Old 07-14-05, 11:01 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
It's still every "pimp my ride" gangsta's dream car.
but it doesnt have the gansta allure as a BMW or a Benz...
Old 07-14-05, 01:21 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I kind of like the Phaeton for what it was. It is more of a car that has the high quality materials, size, luxury features and feel of large European luxury cars for those who want all that but do not want to go around with a bunch of flash or a nameplate that says I am rich and I payed a bunch of money for this car. Not everyone who wants or buys a large European luxury car wants the attention and everyone thinking they spent a fortune on the car and I think there is a small market of people who want the large Euro luxury sedan feel but not the really high price or attention that the Phaeton could have appealed to. It should have came in around 55-60 grand loaded and ditched some of the weight and possibly the AWD and the expensive w-12 option. It really does have a beautiful interior and I am sure it is a very nice long distance cruiser. I give Volkswagen credit for trying to break into the upper end of the market even if they were unsuccessful with the Pheaton. Even their less expensive cars are known to have nice high quality materials in their interiors and almost fit into the entry level luxury car category. I believe VW is working on a less expensive upmarket 4 door with a coupelike Mercedes CLS shape that will be around 40K.
Old 07-14-05, 01:27 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighter
but it doesnt have the gansta allure as a BMW or a Benz...
Hey, they used to not even buy the car.... the emblem was enough.
Old 07-14-05, 04:08 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

Do you think the Phaeton might have gained more acceptance if VW developed a new division like Toyota did with Lexus?
Old 07-14-05, 04:10 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
Do you think the Phaeton might have gained more acceptance if VW developed a new division like Toyota did with Lexus?
There already is one. It's called Audi. And that car is called A8.
Old 07-14-05, 04:14 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

In other news, VW just announced yesterday that they're upping the performance of the Phaeton W12. Horsepower is increased from 420hp to 450hp while peak torque is increased to 57.1kgm and at a lower RPM of 2750 rather than the previous 3000. Apprarantly they aren't giving up this baby of Piech just yet.
Old 07-14-05, 04:28 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
In other news, VW just announced yesterday that they're upping the performance of the Phaeton W12. Horsepower is increased from 420hp to 450hp while peak torque is increased to 57.1kgm and at a lower RPM of 2750 rather than the previous 3000. Apprarantly they aren't giving up this baby of Piech just yet.
The only way to salvage the Phaeton is to come up with a Maybach fighter. They can call it the Piech. The VW Piech. It'll be 6.2 meters long, just like the Maybach 62, and they can charge $250-300k for it. It'll be a real bargain for those who want ultra lux German RR/Maybach/Bentley competition, at a lower profile. It'll look like an even longer Passat, and be even more of a bargain than the Bentley Arnage. They'll sell 1. To Piech. And that mega flop will take the heat and attention off the Phaeton, thus "salvaging" it with an even bigger sales flop due to an even stupider idea.
Old 07-14-05, 06:31 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

I'll give VAG credit for trying to step up their game. But part of the reason why i left the VAG family to get into an 06 GS300 is due primarily to the fact that they dont have anything coming out that truly moves me. the passat looks nice but it just doesn have the "VW" feel to it to make me want one. I find it ironic that when i first looked at the GS it struck me as a nice looking car. Whereas before, i would not take a second look at it. Now that's how i feel some of the german cars are to me...boring.

Add to this, VAG's inability to figure out their quality control issues. I dont care how much "vorsprung durch tecknik" you have, if the dam car has CEL's and other issues like peeling window switches, how do they expect to compete in this market place? Add to that their dismal customer service and dealer network, i'm surprised more customers arent leaving them for other name brands. How would you feel if you spent 50K+ for an A6 take it in for service or warranty work and they give you a loaner car that's from budget and it's a friggin chevy cavalier...i dont know bout you but i'd be friggin pissed.

Anyway, these are a few of my frustrations with VAG right now. Maybe i'll come back to them, maybe i wont, I'm currently enjoying my GS very much right now.

Quick Reply: "Phaeton = Annoyington"- Autoextremist.com