Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So what does everyone think about this new Hummer H3??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-05, 09:04 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I saw one on the road the other day. It's still ugly just smaller.
Old 07-15-05, 09:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I have no interest in any Hummer, even if they make this one smaller . . .
Old 07-15-05, 09:49 AM
gs430jw
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like a jeep Cherokee on steroids. All Hummers are very played out, especially in Scottsdale. 1 out of 10 cars here is a Hummer
Old 07-15-05, 09:52 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I have no interest in any Hummer, even if they make this one smaller . . .
Ditto. I actually saw what I thought was a small personal garbage truck yesterday, or driving at a local mall but looking more closely, it was a H3.

I give kudos to GM for making it, very smart move, Hummer is trendy and VERY VERY profitable. On the other hand, the people that buy them, need to not re-produce.

That is all

Old 07-15-05, 10:06 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Tarted up and therefore overweight Trailblazer with a motor that was marginal for the Chevy to begin with and now is overwhelmed by the additional off road junk deemed necessary to make it a Hummer.

But they'll no doubt sell a bunch to folks who really, really want an H2 but can't afford it, fake tire inflators and all.
Old 07-15-05, 10:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mooretorque
Tarted up and therefore overweight Trailblazer with a motor that was marginal for the Chevy to begin with and now is overwhelmed by the additional off road junk deemed necessary to make it a Hummer.

But they'll no doubt sell a bunch to folks who really, really want an H2 but can't afford it, fake tire inflators and all.
TELL US HOW U REALLY FEEL!!!!

Old 07-15-05, 10:52 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup, another suburban soccer mom-mobile. Looks like an inflated Jeep Liberty (this is NOT a good thing)..

Doucebag 5-cylinder engine included at no charge.

Of course, my general disdain for all SUVs is no secret...
Old 07-15-05, 02:07 PM
DriveOne
Driver School Candidate

A lot of really childish comments made here, definitely not a good image of Lexus owners (I'm sure the majority are awesome folks, the rotten apples always ruin the bunch)

I can't imagine some people having this much hate (and frankly, the time to hate) over what someone else drives, it's truly shocking. It's a pretty sad sight when all you can do with your time is knock down owners of other vehicles. Constructive criticism is one thing, but pure ungrounded bashing is a sign of a mental midget. Drive one, if it's not your thing, move on, buy something you like, don't cry and waste your time. Life is short, live it out.

I've owned an H3 for about 2 weeks now, great vehicle. The ride is awesome, the interior blows away anything else I've driven (Last vehicle was a Jeep Grand Cherokee, blows it out of the water)

Anyway, have a good one folks,

DriveOne
Old 07-15-05, 03:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DriveOne
A lot of really childish comments made here, definitely not a good image of Lexus owners (I'm sure the majority are awesome folks, the rotten apples always ruin the bunch)

I can't imagine some people having this much hate (and frankly, the time to hate) over what someone else drives, it's truly shocking. It's a pretty sad sight when all you can do with your time is knock down owners of other vehicles. Constructive criticism is one thing, but pure ungrounded bashing is a sign of a mental midget. Drive one, if it's not your thing, move on, buy something you like, don't cry and waste your time. Life is short, live it out.

I've owned an H3 for about 2 weeks now, great vehicle. The ride is awesome, the interior blows away anything else I've driven (Last vehicle was a Jeep Grand Cherokee, blows it out of the water)

Anyway, have a good one folks,

DriveOne
Pot calling the kettle black? Not a good first post either. Lets review
1. The thread is titled "So what does everyone think of the H3"
2. Since this is a question, people will answer.
3. Since this is the internet, the answers can get harsh.
4. You may have one, but to us, its one of the worst vehicles made in recent memory. Sorry.
5. Its not rotten apples at all. People voiced they're opinions about the vehicle and this H3 pretty much is not liked on most auto forums. Honestly speaking, do you think a Lexus forum would like something as unrefined as a H3?
6. I think the thread starter likes it.

Derived from the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon pickups, the H3 shares those trucks' body-on-frame construction; double-A-arm and torsion-bar front and leaf-spring rear suspension systems; and 220-hp, 3.5-liter DOHC 20-valve all-aluminum inline five-cylinder Vortec engine (the only engine offered).

At 186.7 inches long, the H3 is 4.9 inches shorter than a GMC Envoy; its 111.9-inch wheelbase is only 1.1 inches shorter than that mid-size SUV's. Compared with the H2, the H3 is 16.8 inches less lengthy overall and rides on a wheelbase that is 10.9 inches shorter. The slab-sided H3 may superficially resemble the old slab-sided 1984-to-2001 Jeep Cherokee, but it's 19.2 inches longer. And although GM is still paring down the H3's heft, it weighs well over two tons. This is a smaller Hummer, but it's not small.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

Its not hate. SOme of us don't like it.

Old 07-15-05, 04:09 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Word, Mike.

I've grown up with domestics, and have always loved trucks/SUVs, but what GM is doing the Hummer name is a bastardization in the least, and I think we're allowed to speak on that if we wish. H1, awesome vehicle (see? We don't hate ALL Hummers). H2, mean looking, big, more refined than an H1, and hell, GM was making Lexus-like profit margins off those things, but they're not my style because they are not what I think of when I think Hummer. H3, the H1's descendant who is underpowered (220hp gas engine. No diesel so torque is probably around the same), tame, yet carries the same name! These are my opinions and I'm going to say how I feel.

Do you really think anything different would happen if the Corvette was made into a FWD econobox but still had the iconic name and tail lights?

It's not about hating who drives it, or even the fact that people ARE driving them. We just don't like the car.

James
Old 07-15-05, 04:53 PM
AlwaysLate
Rookie

I love the new H3. I think it is the best affordable off-roader available. The interior is excellent. Build quality is very high and the leather is very nice, almost Audi'ish. Another cool thing is the use of hard plastics through out the cabin. Usually the use of hard-plastics is looked down upon, but I believe in such a capable car like the H3, it's a good thing to have. This way you can wipe off any mud and dirt dragged into the car much easier. The ride, even with the adventure series was really smooth! It's almost hard to believe that it can off-road as good as it does considering how smooth it is. Off-road wise with the adventure package, it can't be beat except by it's bigger brothers. Its ground clearance is essentially the same as the H2's, it can actually ford through deeper water than an H2, is more nimble than an H2 and actually has a sideslope and incline which is equal to an H1. A lot of journalists have been saying that they believe the H3 to be more capable than the H2 just because of it's smaller size. It can also rock crawl at a slower rate than an H2. Looks wise, I think it's great. Looks better than an H2 in my opinion. Thumbs up to GM for putting together such a great car that honestly has no other car in it's class that can even come close to it's capabilities. I believe the Jeep Rubicon is the closest off-road competitor to the H3 but even then the Jeep is also half the size and doesnt have half the creature comforts. With a starting price of $29,500, the H3 is an awesome buy.

Here are some pics that show how the "smaller" mid-size Hummer still is fairly large in size compared to other mid-size suvs in it's class.

Old 07-15-05, 05:28 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
6. I think the thread starter likes it.

Yep. I think its alright. I think there is room for improvement in some areas, but in total, I think its a decent truck.

I really wasnt expecting all of these responses considering that I know most here would never even consider purchasing a HUMMER, but I guess this shows you how much attention this truck commands(from people who hate and love it).

What truely shocked me the most is the fact that it starts under 30K and comes well loaded. I also love the fact that even though its smaler than the H2, its still DAMN large for its class. The short windows and fender flairs is what I really like. I personally think it looks better than the H2. I'm not into oversized trucks(H2, Suburban, Excursion, etc) and this H3 has the look and ruggedness of the bigger models, without the size.

On the interior, I'm not a fan of hard plastics as well(of course not, we drive Lexus's), and Ive never seen the interior in person. I have however been inside the H2 and totally hated the entire layout of the controls and the super hard plastics. Everything looked snapped together like legos. Now, from the pictures of the interior, I actually like the layout of the controls(personally think it looks better than the 4Runner. I cant stand those wierd climate control buttons). Its simple uncluttered and very modern looking. This past year, GM has really stepped up on the interior department. Its still way short of Toyota LExus, Honda Acura and many other JapaneseKorean European makes, but its an improvement that the average customer can live with. However, I wouldnt dare say its Audi-ish. Thats a reach(Sorry AlwaysLate). But I do understand your logic in using hard plastics. But does every GM have to have hard plastics??? Its nice to know that you did a little research on this vehicle so we can see how it behaves on and off road.

Even though most might just down right hate it, you can't deny its a good buy. However, it definitely needs a stronger engine.

My bro is looking at trading in his 04 Solara for a truck in this price range next year. 4Runner, Explorer, Envoy and others were on his list. I might tell him about this and see what he thinks. But right now, it looks like he might go with a 4Runner.
Old 07-15-05, 05:31 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

DriveOne, the lineage of your vehicle is known and undisputed. The parent vehicle has underwhelmed the car mags that have reviewed it. GM's selection of an I5 with marginal power and torque has especially come under criticism given the mass that it has to move. And so we then add several hundred pounds of mass for instant off-road cred??? That's fine if that's what you want. My route to clinic doesn't include the Rubicon or anything remotely resembling it.

Interior "blows away anything else I've driven" and then you cite the Jeep Grand Cherokee (Lexus and Audi are no doubt green with envy over the materials and assembly in THAT paragon of automotive style) as an example?? C'mon, now! I AM from Arkansas but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. The C6 'Vette is widely hailed in the automags for having made a HUGE step up in terms of interior quality and is presumably from the parts bin just below the new Cads but I've sat in it and touched it. Still not up to the standard of even my first Lexus which was assembled in (pay close attention now) 1991! I'm just guessing (educated, mind you) that your H3 isn't quite up to the standard of the C6. But it is, after all, a rough and tough bushbuster, so maybe it doesn't quite need all that froufrou.

Pard, I'm sorry. This ain't "hating". This is commentary. What counts is, you are happy with your vehicle. And therefore, I'm happy for you. Your vehicle IS what GM wants it to be and since you are a member of their target audience, you are smitten. I'm not saying you shouldn't drive what you drive nor would I ever deny that there are "different horses for different horses". But, as has been pointed out, this is a forum for owners of a certain class of luxury vehicles. Since we are used to a certain level of quality and performance from our chosen manufacturer which is INARGUABLY above and beyond GM's current efforts, ANY comparisons we make to your vehicle will sound adverse. And if it appears to us (and others) that GM is capitalizing on the image of the brand that they bought by Hummerizing an existing product (this is called "badge engineering'" if you're curious), how is that "hating"?? I'd consider it "analysis".

I might add that one of my partners had an H1 back before it was a GM product so I've had experience with the REAL Hummer (when American General was building his H1, they called to ask if he wanted the soft top, the hard top, or the hard top with ball turret and hard points for twin .50 cal machine guns - they don't sell the armament, btw); it was a BEAST to drive in town but you could serve dinner for 4 on the engine cover between the front seats.

Happy motoring!
Old 07-15-05, 05:54 PM
AlwaysLate
Rookie

Originally Posted by magneto112
This past year, GM has really stepped up on the interior department. Its still way short of Toyota LExus, Honda Acura and many other JapaneseKorean European makes, but its an improvement that the average customer can live with. However, I wouldnt dare say its Audi-ish. Thats a reach(Sorry AlwaysLate).

Even though most might just down right hate it, you can't deny its a good buy. However, it definitely needs a stronger engine.
Oh, the interior itself overall isn't Audi-ish. No no, not at all. lol. It's the leather quality I was reffering to which I thought was Audi-ish.

As far as engine strength, would you believe that it has the same acceleration as the V8 H2 but with gas mileage thats almost twice as better? IMO, thats about as fast as an SUV deserves to be. The engine used in the H3 is more than adequate for off-roading, which is what it is meant to do. It can also tow 4,500lb's even when it is at it's maximum load capacity. Honestly, these SUV's that are capable of 0-60's in the six second range with their cell-phone nut soccer mom drivers scare me when it comes to the safety of other people.

Last edited by AlwaysLate; 07-15-05 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-15-05, 06:42 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the H3 was smaller than that, Thanks for the great comparison pics Alwayslate.

Quick Reply: So what does everyone think about this new Hummer H3??