Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Car in the Family...2005 Audi A8 [56k lookout]

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-05, 10:54 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS FAN!
what kind of taillights are those???they don't look LED, but they don't look like conventional bulbs either.
Hmm, guess you're right. On the Audi website they had all the mentions of ambient LED lighting but nothing about LED tails. I'll have to look into that further, good catch.

Oh, I'd also like to say thanks to mmarshall . Also, I saw another member just got an 05 A8, but an L. Milla I believe, and if you can you should post some pics up in this thread. I'm sure we'd like to see 'em.

James

Last edited by jet864; 07-16-05 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-15-05, 10:57 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
Very nice car. The A-8 is my favorite sub 100K large luxury sedan. I am surprised the A-8 does not sell better considering it is less expensive then its rivals yet is the better overall package in my opinion. I think I have only seen 2 on the road. I remember listening to Howard Stern a few years ago and he was debating what new car to get and everyone was telling him to get the new A-8. Where it says CD/TV on the button near the shift gate/IMI controller, does the A-8 have a built in TV tuner? Is it very expensive to insure. I would imagine a all aluminum expensive luxury car would cost a fortune to insure.
I agree about the pricing and how it is severely underrated by the public. About the TV button, the salesman (great guy, would reccomend him to anyone in the Seattle area) told us that in Europe, TV tuners are legal and available in the A8, but in the US I believe TV tuners (or any visual entertainment) are illegal if they are in view of the driver.

In regards to the insurance, my mom told me earlier that it only went up $18 compared to the price of her CLK500, so not bad at all. We were both quite surprised.

James
Old 07-16-05, 12:15 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Dude, if that's your mom in the first two pics, I hope you don't mind my saying she's a cutie.

Nice choice in car, BTW. I can't say I've heard many good things about Audi reliability and dealership or corporate support if things go wrong, but it's definitely one of the best big cars out there at this time. It's the same car I would have suggested my dad buy, since he was almost in the new car market himself.
Old 07-16-05, 12:22 AM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jet864
Hmm, guess you're right. On the Audi website they had all the mentions of ambient LED lighting but nothing about LED tails. I'll have to look into that further, good catch.

Oh, I'd also like to say thanks to mmarshall :thumbsup: . Also, I saw another member just got an 05 A8, but an L. Milla I believe, and if you can you should post some pics up in this thread. I'm sure we'd like to see 'em.

James
thanks and congratulations

the taillights look like a hybrid between LED and bulb.
Old 07-16-05, 01:10 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Dude, if that's your mom in the first two pics, I hope you don't mind my saying she's a cutie.
Haha, damn it's only a matter of time. Actually that's my sister. You can only see the back of my mom's head in one of the outdoor pics.

I really hope nothing goes wrong, although I do kind of have that feeling in the back of my mind, but if the parts and service department are as good as the sales, I think we should be fine.

James
Old 07-16-05, 01:14 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jet864
Haha, damn it's only a matter of time. Actually that's my sister. You can only see the back of my mom's head in one of the outdoor pics.

I really hope nothing goes wrong, although I do kind of have that feeling in the back of my mind, but if the parts and service department are as good as the sales, I think we should be fine.

James
I'll let you enjoy your nirvana for now and not post some threads complaining about Audi support when things do go wrong. Suffice it to say, have your mom call the AoA president directly if she doesn't get things sorted out by the dealers, and that's probably the only way to handle things.

Nice sis.
Old 07-16-05, 10:58 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Great choice... I LOVE the A8. Very classy and sophisticated piece of machinery. I'm glad for 05 they finally made the darker color wood availabe like you got, never was a big fan of the birds-eye maple type of wood.

I thought this would be a great time for me to put up a couple pics of the ABT AS8... 450hp supercharged A8

Old 07-16-05, 11:03 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Great choice... I LOVE the A8. Very classy and sophisticated piece of machinery. I'm glad for 05 they finally made the darker color wood availabe like you got, never was a big fan of the birds-eye maple type of wood.

I thought this would be a great time for me to put up a couple pics of the ABT AS8... 450hp supercharged A8

HO-LEEEE CRAP. That is a good look A8! I love those rims. Is there any more info one that one? I've never seen it before.

James
Old 07-16-05, 11:11 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a link to the company

ABT gmbh
Old 07-16-05, 12:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Congragulations again, Jim...to you and your mom. I agree the '05 grille is much better than the 06.
You guys ( and Jim ) have pretty well covered the car's good points...I don't really have to add much there.
Couple of flies in the ointment, though. First, of course, let's hope you never need bodywork but if you do, you may need a special shop qualified for aluminum repair....Audi, I believe, has a list of shops that are factory-approved for A8 repair. Second, the warranty will cover any electrical problems during the first several years but after that, it may be iffy...and these cars are not known for reliable electronics. Third, Audi's MMI is not quite as complex as BMW's I-Drive, ( especially the new 7-series ) but may still take some getting used to. Jim...if you're going to drive the car often I'd recommend taking it to a uncongested area and practicing the MMI with little traffic around until you can master it without taking your eyes off the road for more than a few seconds. (Your mom may need a little time to master it too).

I'm sure you know the break-in rules.....if not give me a PM and I'll give them to you.

HAVE FUN...nice machine.
Old 07-16-05, 01:04 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks quite nice!
Old 07-16-05, 01:27 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

WOW. Thats a real good look Jet . Very nice color as well. Your Mom must love it. Keep us updated on the latest with this car. Peace.
Old 07-16-05, 02:10 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congragulations again, Jim...to you and your mom. I agree the '05 grille is much better than the 06.
You guys ( and Jim ) have pretty well covered the car's good points...I don't really have to add much there.
Couple of flies in the ointment, though. First, of course, let's hope you never need bodywork but if you do, you may need a special shop qualified for aluminum repair....Audi, I believe, has a list of shops that are factory-approved for A8 repair. Second, the warranty will cover any electrical problems during the first several years but after that, it may be iffy...and these cars are not known for reliable electronics. Third, Audi's MMI is not quite as complex as BMW's I-Drive, ( especially the new 7-series ) but may still take some getting used to. Jim...if you're going to drive the car often I'd recommend taking it to a uncongested area and practicing the MMI with little traffic around until you can master it without taking your eyes off the road for more than a few seconds. (Your mom may need a little time to master it too).

I'm sure you know the break-in rules.....if not give me a PM and I'll give them to you.

HAVE FUN...nice machine.
Ah yes, the aluminum body was a real concern to us, and the salesman did say that there are only a handful (I think on the order of less than 30) qualified aluminum welding shops in the country that they will send the A8 to. Lucky for us, one of them is our neighboring town, which is only about 10 minutes from the dealership so that lets us rest easier.

The night we got the car I just sat in the garage and programmed everything, getting used to the functions so I'm almost there. Thanks again for everything M, and thank you every body for all the compliments!

James