Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Most People Dont Give Nascar Enough Credit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-05, 01:21 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Most People Dont Give Nascar Enough Credit?

Even though Im not a fan, I think most people do not give Nascar the credit it deserves. Everytime I hear people talk about Nascar, people seem to diss it. Yes, it can be boring to watch and the cars seem uninteresting. So inspite of that, I think Nascar is very competitive in comparison to other racing leagues such as F1. In Nascar, unlike F1, cars are pretty much almost all equal so its more of a matter of driver versus driver. In F1, usually the team with the most research n developement budget usually prevails (i.e. Ferrari.) Second, Nascar's average speed is much higher than other racing racing leagues because of its oval track and the distance between the cars are like couple feet at time. What do u guys think?
Old 07-16-05, 05:09 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not a fan of Nascar

but i do like the crashes
Old 07-16-05, 01:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Even though Im not a fan, I think most people do not give Nascar the credit it deserves. Everytime I hear people talk about Nascar, people seem to diss it. Yes, it can be boring to watch and the cars seem uninteresting. So inspite of that, I think Nascar is very competitive in comparison to other racing leagues such as F1. In Nascar, unlike F1, cars are pretty much almost all equal so its more of a matter of driver versus driver. In F1, usually the team with the most research n developement budget usually prevails (i.e. Ferrari.) Second, Nascar's average speed is much higher than other racing racing leagues because of its oval track and the distance between the cars are like couple feet at time. What do u guys think?
I agree with just about everything you say...except about NASCAR being boring. To me it is anything BUT boring...especially in the restrictor-plate races at the fastest tracks like Daytona where the cars are all bunched up in one big blob going around the same banked curves at 190-plus MPH....it would be even faster without the restrictor plates, and the cars wouldn't be bunched up as much. Just ONE tiny error or misjudgement by ANY driver and you've got a 20-car pileup, just like that. And then to add even more danger you have scofflaws like Tony Stewart deliberately causing crashes by bumping people into spins....and getting away with it race after race.
Anyhow...my main point is that NASCAR........and open-wheel big ovals like Indianapolis.....are truly RACES with COMPETITION with something to watch, unlike F1 which in my opinion is just a braking and cornering show, with almost no passing and almost no chance to make up lost time after a pit stop.
I find F1 and Champ Car road-courses about as exciting as watching paint dry. On some occasions they have put me to sleep.

However, I strongly disagree with GTFM about his comment " liking " to watch crashes. IMO, there is NOTHING amusing or entertaining about an expensive racing car, open-wheel or NASCAR, being damaged or destroyed, or worse, the driver being injured or killed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-16-05 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-16-05, 01:46 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

People definitely dont give it enough credit. Just the amount of concentration to drive these vehicles at high rates of speeds, to know where every other car is on the track, to know about drag, when to pass, plus listening to the pit crew all at the same time would make me pass out. The drivers must be mentallly exhausted after these 500 mile races. I personally hate Nascar because its so boring watching a car go around a track. Dont understand all of the excitement, but it is what is.
Old 07-16-05, 01:48 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think ovals are nice... but road courses are far more interesting, regardless of the leauge.

I enjoy the Soarer track footage we get from down under, and I also enjoy F1 races.

The downshifting, braking and cornering of road races is far more interesting to me personally than a collection of left turns.

I also enjoy watching single (time-trial) or groups of cars compete on the Nuremburg (sp?) circuit... but that could just be me.

I do enjoy the spin outs that occur when NASCAR has its road-race days

I'm sure some guys here feel different, but I also wish stock car racing was well... more stock cars racing -- I don't know many monte carlo's running around with 4 carbs & V8s -- I'm not asking for the world, maybe just fuel injection, or some major piece technology from the past 20 years
Old 07-16-05, 01:49 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
People definitely dont give it enough credit. Just the amount of concentration to drive these vehicles at high rates of speeds, to know where every other car is on the track, to know about drag, when to pass, plus listening to the pit crew all at the same time would make me pass out. The drivers must be mentallly exhausted after these 500 mile races. I personally hate Nascar because its so boring watching a car go around a track. Dont understand all of the excitement, but it is what is.
nicely said, you took the thoughts right out of my mind. I personally don't like it, i respect the drivers, and it bores me but i like the crashes.
Old 07-16-05, 04:37 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I CAN DRIVE IN A BIG CIRCLE FOR 2 HOURS DUR DUR DUR

I refuse to give credit to anything so idiotic
Old 07-17-05, 11:12 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont see much difference between Lawnmower racing and Nascar other than the speed

its cool that it takes concentration to ride around at 190mph together... and its cool they have restrictor plates

I am entertained by the fastest of the fast... there is no budget constraint on F1... but that doesnt mean jack... if you dont understand, then take a look at this year's standings!

nascar might have restrictor plates...
but do remember:
F1 cars run 97 octane... not C16 or whatever that crap is that nascar runs
they run grooved tires (and are not difference sizes on either side of the car)
they run 3.0L V10s, not some bigass V8
they have FAR MORE downforce and other wind altering effects on the body of the car that slow it down

and they are still MUCH faster than a Nascar stockcar

i get to see difficult tracks with hard spots in different places depending on the track (they arent all the same)

and F1 has much higher safety requirements than Nascar (being able to host F1 events is quite expensive in the track prep because of many different factors)
Old 07-18-05, 12:25 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I give alot of respect for the drivers and Nascar teams and all the legwork involved, but in general left turn racing is a bit boring. But when NASCAR does come to Infineon Raceway (Sears Point), it's a little more interesting.

I've been to one Nascar race in 2004 (@ CA Speedway for the Auto Club 500) in my life and it will be the last. Redneck/white trash city sorry to say.
Old 07-18-05, 05:39 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

F1

gadgetSC-t
Old 07-18-05, 08:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I give alot of respect for the drivers and Nascar teams and all the legwork involved, but in general left turn racing is a bit boring. But when NASCAR does come to Infineon Raceway (Sears Point), it's a little more interesting.

I've been to one Nascar race in 2004 (@ CA Speedway for the Auto Club 500) in my life and it will be the last. Redneck/white trash city sorry to say.
One of the most intesting NASCAR races that combined stock cars and road courses used to be run there in CA at Riverside until they shut down the old Riverside course.

As far as NASCAR events being a magnet for rednecks and so-called "white trash", that is a somewhat outdated stereotype. Plenty of them still DO attend these events ( as you found out ) but for the most part, the old Dukes of Hazzard and Smokey and the Bandit image has been replaced by a nationwide audience of people from many walks of life. In terms of attendence and money spent at these events, NASCAR is just destroying F1. It is not even a contest.
Old 07-18-05, 09:57 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The allure of the NASCAR is the low budget needed to come in compared to other racing leagues. They are proud of the fact that they're running carbs still and no crazy engine management system etc. Is it exciting for the fans? Yes. Does it push the technology and thus have it trickle down to the consumer? Probably not.

F1 does that...F1 is the pinnacle of automotive technology. A lot of what you see done on these cars will eventually come our way...be it ABS, active ride, traction control you have racing series like F1 to thank for.

Over the recent years F! has become boring to watch, but it's changed quite a bit this year, with other teams finishing in the podium.

It just doesnt do it for me, watching the oval races. The high speed restrictor plate racing is intriguing though, because when they wreck, it's one helluva wreck involving at least 4 cars.

Last edited by foofighter; 07-18-05 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-18-05, 10:01 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One of the most intesting NASCAR races that combined stock cars and road courses used to be run there in CA at Riverside until they shut down the old Riverside course.
I live on the ground that used to be the Riverside International Raceway. I moved here when they were starting the actual demolition of the track to make way for the new mall and housing tracts. The area boomed in the early 90's as the Fastest Growing City in America at one point in time, then it died out when March AFB was reduced in size to a Air Force Reserve Base. But now it's booming again, all the once empty land left after the raceway is now filled with more shopping centers and acres of "luxury" apartments.
Old 07-18-05, 10:05 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by mmarshall

As far as NASCAR events being a magnet for rednecks and so-called "white trash", that is a somewhat outdated stereotype. Plenty
Come to Fontucky (and there's a good reason why it's been called that over the years by us locals) on a NASCAR day and you will see what I mean. The stereotype still exists and is true to the fact.
Old 07-18-05, 02:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

I'd rather watch fungus grow than watch NASCAR.

Certainly there's a lot of skill involved in what the teams and driver's do. That's also true of dog shows or hunting, neither of which I have any interest in either.

Probably the most profoundly boring TV 'sport' though is that fishing crap.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-18-05 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Most People Dont Give Nascar Enough Credit?