Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Help me choose my next car please.
Mercedes Benz CLS500
33.33%
BMW 645ci
66.67%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Help pick a car CLS500 OR 645ci

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-05, 10:13 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd get the 6 series. What a stunning car!!!
Old 07-18-05, 12:23 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
True.. Santa Barbara even has this one:

2003 CL55 2-Door Coupe VIN - WDBPJ74J03A032595
Mileage - 31110
Price - $79995
Exterior Color - Black
Interior Color - AMG Charcoal
Distance from zip code - 45 miles

But... I've never been a "used car" kind of guy. MB's have been notoriously bad over the last few years and it's a huge gamble. Also, the MB dealer in SB is 45 miles away from my home, 30 miles past my office. The other dealer is 10 miles the other way. The BMW dealer is between my home & office (as is Lexus & infiniti) I've watched the BMW boards closely. Early on it appeared to be mostly software revisions. They are up to V18 now and it appears that most issues have been resolved. Nothing chronic seems to occur.

Z06? Sure it performs like a beast. Not my intent, though the 650i should be plenty peppy. Being diplomatic... I'll say "it takes a certain person to drive a Corvette, I'm not that kind of person" No where near my demographic.

yeah, MBs has had their issues of late, but I think by 2003-2005 MY they had things sorted out a little better. Also I'm sure that with the StarMark program, there would be that "safety net" of factory coverage. The MB issues with the CL are more of the niggling variety (mirror doenst dip in reverse or static in radio), than with the S-class (airmatic suspension fails and car sits on ground!!).

I would have to honest as say that you may want to go check out that CL55, I figure a test drive couldnt hurt. (unless you cant control those 493 horses!!!)
Old 07-18-05, 12:27 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genearch
Ok.. let's see:
$0-85K Sports Coupe

Your suggestions are?

What about the Carrera S? If you can find one around MSRP of course.
Old 07-18-05, 12:39 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Carrera S is a good choice but it's only a 2 seater, I think some still prefer a 2+2 coupe with usable back seats even if they are usually quite uncomfortable, just for more flexibility in case they need to carry more passengers in some situations.
Old 07-18-05, 12:50 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
yeah, MBs has had their issues of late, but I think by 2003-2005 MY they had things sorted out a little better. Also I'm sure that with the StarMark program, there would be that "safety net" of factory coverage. The MB issues with the CL are more of the niggling variety (mirror doenst dip in reverse or static in radio), than with the S-class (airmatic suspension fails and car sits on ground!!).

I would have to honest as say that you may want to go check out that CL55, I figure a test drive couldnt hurt. (unless you cant control those 493 horses!!!)
I have a CL55 and trust me the CLS and the 6 series can't hold a candle to it. The AMG engine is a sweetheart of an engine, the materials on the interior are tremendous and the styling is absolutey beautiful. The true downside of the car is its depreciation. Buying a nice used one where someone else has taken the hit is the way to go. By the way I have not had a single problem with the car an '04.
Old 07-18-05, 01:29 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default doug

to be honest, don't make assumptions. I have rode in a cls55, and its a rocket, But I don't see the value of it being almost 90k. And a cls500 being in the upper 60k almost 70 is nuts as well. I mean interior is typical mb, ride was nice, but it was also a brand new car. I have yet to ride in a 645, but seeing it and looking at the sticker, i was giving my honest opinion. Ask me in pm before making statements
Old 07-18-05, 02:59 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by lkirchner
I have a CL55 and trust me the CLS and the 6 series can't hold a candle to it. The AMG engine is a sweetheart of an engine, the materials on the interior are tremendous and the styling is absolutey beautiful. The true downside of the car is its depreciation. Buying a nice used one where someone else has taken the hit is the way to go. By the way I have not had a single problem with the car an '04.
Thank you Lou. After seeing you post this, I'm going to check out a couple CL AMGs.
Well, regarding "usable" rear seats, I don't think of any other "coupe" than a CL that have the comfy rear seats without having to ampute your legs to sit in the back
Old 07-18-05, 03:42 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Thank you Lou. After seeing you post this, I'm going to check out a couple CL AMGs.
Well, regarding "usable" rear seats, I don't think of any other "coupe" than a CL that have the comfy rear seats without having to ampute your legs to sit in the back
You are correct in that the CL rear seats are comfortable when you are in there. Entry for a 2 door coupe is also quite good but exit is still a pain.

Better than the 6 series. When I looked at them a lady was trying out the back seat. She was commenting on the fact that it was not bad when she got in. However when she tried to get out she got her butt stuck between the window sill and the back of the front seat. The salesman just stood there and had no idea how to react but her husband suggested that some body give her a good old fashioned goose. Had to have been there.
Old 07-18-05, 04:17 PM
BkLexZ
Pole Position

Genearch you are not hijacking my thread, you are contributing to it greatly.
Fellas Im taking all of your suggestions into consideration. I drove most of the cars mentioned except the zo6 which like gene said is a monster of a vehicle but just not my type of car. I love the e55 pull, but it looks too conservative. The cl55 is a hot car but if i go with the amg i got to go used 2003-2004. I love the amg power but i get plenty of points on my license with my slow GS300. I want a brand new car. The deal with the coupe and no room in the back is this. Im 23 years old and what better time to own a coupe than now. I realize that the back seats are minimal but atleast it has some space to squeeze 2 more girls unlike the sl500 which will get you the 2 girls but they wont be able to get in unless they go in the trunk. Powerwise I think I will have enough from a 645ci or a 650i. Leaning towards the 645ci so far, but the cls is an eye catcher too.

Last edited by BkLexZ; 07-18-05 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-18-05, 04:33 PM
BkLexZ
Pole Position

I like this pic right here I found on the web.
Attached Thumbnails Help pick a car CLS500 OR 645ci-image-b61d89e4cd5511d9.jpg  
Old 07-18-05, 04:35 PM
BkLexZ
Pole Position

This no sleeper either.
Attached Thumbnails Help pick a car CLS500 OR 645ci-is.jpg  
Old 07-18-05, 05:29 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Does it HAVE to be a choice between these two ...............or are you open to something else?
Neither one of these two cars, IMO, are worth what they cost....for a number of reasons.
As much as I like these two and especially the 645, I have to agree with you. Fit and finish are no where near their price tags. We know about the reliability histories of these two. I'd say both should be at least 20K cheaper.
Old 07-18-05, 06:42 PM
redkingjoe
Lead Lap

i voted 645 but i personally would either buy a SC or GS.

having a BMW will inevitablely add activities to a family. most of my friends who own bmw are all repeated loyal owners...they really enjoy doing all these maintenance thingies...taking the car to fix this next week and still need to fix the same thing another week

i still remember a conversation

bmw friend: "it's a little bit scary last night...the car suddenly stopped in the fast lane of the high way"

me: " your 530 is just 5 months old"

bmw friend :"that's not the first time. the dealer had taught me that all i need to do is re-starting the engine and if the first re-start doesn't work than just try a few more time"

me: "really?"

bmw friend: "luckily no car was following me...i just re-started the engine and the car run greatly"
Old 07-18-05, 07:31 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fireballs gs400
to be honest, don't make assumptions. I have rode in a cls55, and its a rocket, But I don't see the value of it being almost 90k. And a cls500 being in the upper 60k almost 70 is nuts as well. I mean interior is typical mb, ride was nice, but it was also a brand new car. I have yet to ride in a 645, but seeing it and looking at the sticker, i was giving my honest opinion. Ask me in pm before making statements
Assumptions? Never! Educated guess? Yep. My comment is based on the fact that both of these cars outperform the new GS and are in a completely different class. I also "guessed" (and rightly so) that had you driven either of them, you would not have made that comment.

BUT, you are correct, I should have PM'd you instead of posting my comment. Sorry about that.
Old 07-18-05, 08:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
Assumptions? Never! Educated guess? Yep. My comment is based on the fact that both of these cars outperform the new GS and are in a completely different class. I also "guessed" (and rightly so) that had you driven either of them, you would not have made that comment.

BUT, you are correct, I should have PM'd you instead of posting my comment. Sorry about that.
If you look in the 3GS forum, we have had people cross shop the 2. And the GS was picked OVER the CLS in the European magazine CAR comparo, which says tons about the GS (both lost behind the 5 series)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=cls

I can scan pics if u want

A CLS is the E-class platform with a widened TRACK, different body and interior.

How about this. And I would pick the CLS over the 650. But OMG, the M6 just really looks so much better, IMO.

Panoz is based in north Atlanta, and I saw this recently. Gorgous.

Quick Reply: Help pick a car CLS500 OR 645ci