Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeremy Clarkson on the new Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-05 | 10:04 PM
LexFather

Default Jeremy Clarkson on the new Boxster

Maybe the gearchange isn’t as smooth as you’d like — I missed third as often as I found it — and maybe the 2.7 litre engine in my base model test car doesn’t deliver the oomph that you might have expected. It isn’t even on nodding terms with the concept of “fast”. But nevertheless the driving experience was just so technical, it feels like the whole car has been machined by Rolex.

With a progressive rate rack, the steering is constantly whispering calm and unfussed messages into the palms of your hands, and your buttocks are always kept bang up to date with news from the wheels. Through the bends, then, this car is an utter delight.

And then when you come out of a corner and the road plunges arrow straight into the heart of the horizon, you plant the throttle into the carpet and are propelled through a bodged upshift into third by a metallic howl from the flat six that, honestly, raises the hairs on the back of your neck.

Something, however, is not quite right. It’s hard to put your finger on it but there’s something missing, and I think I know what it is. When you drive a Boxster, you do not savour the mid-engined balance or the hand-crafted soundtrack. Because this car doesn’t remind you what it is. It reminds you, all the time, of what it’s not. And what it’s not is a 911.

So you arrive at journey’s end thinking: “If only life had dealt me a better hand. If only I’d sold one more photocopier and married a supermodel. Then I could have had a real Porsche.” The Boxster, I’m afraid, is a constant reminder that the grass really is greener somewhere else.

A 911 feels like an analogue car. It feels real, rather than a facsimile. Whereas the Boxster feels like a downloaded digital rendition of the original. A collection, if you like, of ones and noughts. So, like a CD, it’s crisp and easy to handle but the 911 — that’s like watching the band perform live.
Old 07-17-05 | 12:44 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

His TV review of the Boxter S vs, the new SLK55 was also awesome.
Old 07-17-05 | 04:16 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Richie
His TV review of the Boxter S vs, the new SLK55 was also awesome.

probably one of the best ever really

you don't get shot at from a sniper squad every day.
Old 07-17-05 | 04:40 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Two things...
Sounds like a proper roadster to me. Not perfect but one that a good driver will master and get thrills from. A lot of todays cars are so electronicized all the driver involvement is disappearing. Sounds like you have to keep your mind on doing the driving in the Boxter. That's a good thing imo.
The other point is only a person with 911 experience would probably complain. I've heard nothing but great reviews from every Boxter test I've ever read...with the exception of the very first ones back in 1997. I think they were comparing it to the 911 back then too.
Still an informative review by Clarkson though...we just have to remember they're all subjective. Which is part of the fun.
Old 07-18-05 | 01:03 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whoster
probably one of the best ever really

you don't get shot at from a sniper squad every day.
Great TV right there.
Driveby's with a twist.
Old 07-18-05 | 02:32 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

It really is simple. Give the Boxter more power and a better chassis and I think he will change his tune. Oh wait, they did that and called it the Cayman. I actually can't wait to hear what the reviews on the Cayman are like. I think that will be a great drivers car.