Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds comparo: 1) Sonata, 2) Accord, 3) Camry

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-05, 07:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not surprised at all. Hyundai has steadily improved. Plus the Sonata is all-new, whereas the new Camry is on the horizon.
Old 07-19-05, 07:51 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hyundai is not playing any games for sure.

Toyota needs to make the next Camry have everyone going
Old 07-19-05, 08:13 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is the first time i've been proud of my homeland since Samsung took over the cell phone market by storm.
Old 07-20-05, 10:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

One reason I didn't post much yesterday....... I was at a local Hyundai dealer yesterday after work with a colleague of mine to help him find and buy a new Accent as a good, cheap commuter car and while we were there I took a good look at several new Sonatas inside and out. They appeared.....and felt......quite well-built in spite of being an all-new car and an all-new plant..........usually a recipe for trouble. The paint was good, the doors all closed with a solid thunk, the switchgear felt nice, the panel gaps vere very thin, and almost everything appeared well-assembled except for the cheap-looking and poorly-attached piece of brushed-aluminum-finish plastic trim that goes across the dash.....this car deserves at least some nice wood-grained trim. The seats felt a little hard for my tastes but I know some people like firm seats.

I didn't take the time to test-drive any Sonatas because, of course, there was more important buisness at hand...finding Paul's new car, test-driving and inspecting IT, and making sure it was prepared properly. I do plan, though, to test-drive at least one or two new Sonatas.

( By the way, it was a successful afternoon. Paul and his wife went home with a brand-new Accent.......automatic and air-conditioned.......for only $11,500....not bad )

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-20-05 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-20-05, 10:59 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynasty SC
i dunno about kia, they are still rated the worst in terms of reliability.
but of course, if you put a price cap on the cars.. especially at 22k, the cheap korean car will offer much more. while the more popular, expensive, established cars cant compete at that price.
Kia and Hyundai are the same company. Increasingly, every Kia is a derivative of a corresponding Hyundai. The Tucson and Sportage are the most recent and most dramatic example of this. Kia will inevitably rise in the reliability rankings. Just a matter of time.
Old 07-20-05, 11:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mmahamm
. Kia will inevitably rise in the reliability rankings. Just a matter of time.
That time is already here. My colleague Paul (see my last post above) and his wife also have a several-year-old Kia Sedona. I drove it yesterday back home from the Hyundai dealership for them when they got their Accent. In spite of it being several years old, it drove just like new...except for warped brake rotors, which most vehicles develop sooner or later.