Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volvo previews new C70 - hardtop convertible

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-05 | 07:21 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Volvo previews new C70 - hardtop convertible

Volvo is to unveil its all-new C70 at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September, but here's an advance preview. This next time around, there will be just one C70 model, a four-seater coupe-convertible with a three-piece powered metal folding roof, rather than separate coupe and soft-top versions. It will be offered with the 170bhp 2.4 and 220bhp turbcocharged T5 five-cylinder petrol engines when it first goes on sale early next year; a 180bhp D5 diesel will join the range later in 2006.

Around the same size as the outgoing C70, the new car has a body much stiffer and safer, promising much-improved handling and driving dynamics as well. Project manager Patrik Widerstrand says: "A torsionally rigid body was an important criteria for the new C70's behaviour. It makes the car more stable, easier to control and therefore safer - but also makes the all-new C70 more dynamic and fun to drive." Safety equipment includes new door-mounted inflatable curtain airbags and an enhanced side impact protection system; as a curtain-style airbag cannot be fitted in the roof of a convertible, in the C70 the door-mounted airbag inflates upwards, increasing protection in a rollover incident.

The C70 has been developed in partnership with Pininfarina, which has a production unit in Udevalla, Sweden where it will be made. Volvo hopes to more than double sales over those of the outgoing model; last year, it sold 7000 C70 convertibles, including 1500 in the UK.

Whilst the styling of this model is a conservative evolution, it features the latest, modern Volvo 'family' look. Design manager Fedde Talsma said: "Putting together harmonious lines both with and without a roof is no easy job. We decided to start with the coupe design. When we were satisfied with the result, we made the necessary adjustments to create a convertible out of the coupe lines." Volvo CEO Hans-Olov Olsson adds: "We've succeeded in creating an attractive convertible which, at the touch of a button, converts into an equally elegant coupe, giving the customer two cars for the price of one - with space for four adults." The C70 certainly looks ready to take on the likes of the Saab 9-3 Cabriolet, the Audi A4 drop-top and the now aged, but still popular, BMW 3-Series convertible. More details of specification and pricing will be announced at the Frankfurt show, though Volvo says that UK prices will be similar to those of the outgoing model, which starts from around £26,000.

source : channel4.com

The first Volvo that appeals to me in a long time
Old 07-19-05 | 07:58 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Indeed it looks much better compared to the older C70, we can only hope that it is 180 in terms of performance/maintenance! I like that interior ..the car body seems a little short? Would look better with a longer front end, or at least a shorter cab, it looks like a "long" bubble (as opposed to "short" bubbled G35, TT, SC430). also looks very Honda Civic 2 doorish from a profile view?

Last edited by np20412; 07-19-05 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-19-05 | 12:24 PM
Milla...

Now thats pretty nice I like it.
Old 07-19-05 | 12:42 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

I always loved the C70! With this car, im thinking of taking our relationship to the next level
Old 07-19-05 | 12:54 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

blkGS, don't buy the first year production model of a Volvo, EVER!

I have had 2 bad experiences with first year models. Our 1999 Volvo S80 T6, which we still have, has engine oil leaks, turbo leaks, CEL light constantly on, Service light constantly on. We've done several ECU resets, software upgrades, but nothing. We've given up trying to clear it. Previos to that, we had a 1999 Volvo S80 which was just the base model, that had TOO many problems to list that they took that car back and gave us the T6 in return.
Old 07-19-05 | 01:50 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by LexSC888
blkGS, don't buy the first year production model of a Volvo, EVER!

I have had 2 bad experiences with first year models. Our 1999 Volvo S80 T6, which we still have, has engine oil leaks, turbo leaks, CEL light constantly on, Service light constantly on. We've done several ECU resets, software upgrades, but nothing. We've given up trying to clear it. Previos to that, we had a 1999 Volvo S80 which was just the base model, that had TOO many problems to list that they took that car back and gave us the T6 in return.
OUCH!!! 1999 was the worst model year for the S80 ever. Actually probably in the companies history. I cant recall a more unreliable Volvo than that 1999 model. At my old dealership we used to get in a ton of those every damn day. Over the past 2-3 years, I've noticed less severe problems with the new models. But I styill wouldnt get a first year model.

As far as the C70, it looks outstanding. In my eyes the previous C70 was a classic. That car was fun to drive. I loved the sound of the turbos in the HPT model. This model shares engines with the S40 and from certain angles maybe front fascia as well as well as the dashboard. But none the less its still an attractive car and will definitely sell.

Honestly, I think the car looks better with the top up. I cant say that about many convertibles currently on the market.

Ever since 2001 with the S60, I knew they were on to something good.
Old 07-19-05 | 04:56 PM
LexFather

That is a very good effort. Looks good inside and out!! I cannot understand how the 80k pig of a coupe 6 series has a softop when everyone else is going with hardtops.
Old 07-19-05 | 06:03 PM
AlwaysLate
Rookie

Kinda reminds me of a Mercedes-Benz CL from the top-up side view.
Old 07-19-05 | 07:07 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I think that looks pretty good. Definitely makes my C70 look way outdated

I agree, the roof lines look a lot like the mercedes CL coupe to me.... which is not even close to a bad thing.

The only thing I wonder... why are they downgrading hp on this model? C70 HPT's were 236 and 240hp. Is this new one gonna be lighter than the outgoing model? I know HP doesn't mean everything, but its not too common that a manufacturer completely redesigns something and decreases the power like that.

I haven't heard any rumors of this, but my one wish for Volvo (besides to start making cars as reliable as they were in the 80's) is that they make a C70R!!! That'd be a pretty hot car.
Old 07-19-05 | 07:32 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

thats a sweet lookin volvo
Old 07-19-05 | 07:47 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

im sure everone agrees with this, but volvo had changes dramatically, looks a hell of alot better than what they used to, some cars, even though they may be 10 years old look nice, but im sorry to say, but volvo's used to be ugly, boxy, and ugly, i like the lil' flat screen look it has to the radio and climate control deck, same thing in the new S40. the rear lights remind me of a chrysler sebring though, but other than that, i like the car, but i rather have it in a coupe than convertible though