Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

School Me (he got schooled on the Pagani Zonda!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 12:47 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Excellent background, 1Sick! Perhaps the Brazillian racer was Ayrton Senna?
I think it was Fangio if he is Brazillian.
That is the F in de Pagini Zonda F.
Old 07-20-05, 01:11 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

There is also a Zonda S for Senna?

Old 07-20-05, 01:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Excellent background, 1Sick! Perhaps the Brazillian racer was Ayrton Senna?
Thanks. I did some research, the guy was Juan Manuel Fangio. He was the guy to help Pagani through and through. The car was originally going to be named after him but he passed in June of 1995.

The Zondas Carbon Fiber tub barely weighs 130lbs. This is the entire car.
And a correction on the cars he did for Lamborghini. The 1st one was the Countach QV, the 2nd the Countach Evoluzione. That car weighed 1,000 lbs LESS than the regular Countach due to Pagani using Composites.

Old 07-20-05, 01:17 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
There is also a Zonda S for Senna?
I think the S stands for Sport.
Old 07-20-05, 01:37 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Yep. That car is awsome. I have seen Wyclefs Zonda on numerous occations. Its absolutely stunning. like a present day McLaren F1.

Heres a pic of his car that I took last summer at the Terror Squad Car Show...

Old 07-20-05, 01:44 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sure. Pagani is the new "SUPERCAR" in Modena. The company is founded by Horacio Pagani. He was born in Brazil and was into cars his whole life. At the age of 20 he built and was racing his own car. He befriended a high-profile Brazillian racer (I forgot his name) who hooked him up with Lamborghini. It is said he packed, when to Italy, arrived and said "I don't care if I start sweeping floors, I am here to build the most beautiful car".

He was one of the first people to work on composites, i.e CARBON FIBER on production cars. His first effort was the 25th anniversay Countach. It weighed 400lbs less than the regular model!! He designed Lamborghinis and saw carbon fiber as the future.

He started his own carbon-fiber building company that even today, Lamborghinii contracts with. It took him 12 years to build the Zonda. He is, like Lexus, ABOUT THE DETAILS!! The cars are crafted by hand and everything has to be perfect. The cars are selling VERY well for him.

The name ZONDA is after a Brazillian Wind. He chose the V-12 AMG engine b/c the friend that hooked him up with Lamborgnini raced for Mercedes and said " If you build a car, it HAS to have a Mercedes engine". So he got hooked up there as well.

Currently he is working on the Zonda F, more power, its lighter, 20" wheels. He just started making the Zonda convertible, which b/c of the carbon fiber is as rigid as the coupe.

EVO and CAR claim this is the NEW top dog Supercar. THey love it.

Sigh. Aiite Sick, I think you are on the verge of knowing to damn much. Nice info though. I remember you telling me about how he used to work for Lambo in that other thread, but his background info is quite interesting. Maybe I should take notes.