Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1990 NISSAN 300ZX 2+2? Any Good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-05, 08:52 PM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1990 NISSAN 300ZX 2+2? Any Good?

Well I find out I need to get a new daily driver and have eyed this car since it went for sale couple weeks ago:

1990 Nissan 300 ZX 2+2 for $5,500

"It has 154k original miles on it. The engine was rebuilt 21000 miles ago and is in perfect condition."

I have been reading some reviews over the net and people seem to love this car. Fast and fun to drive but some say its too expensive. Insurance and gas prices due to it taking premium and having low mielage per gallon. I have heard though that people use unleaded with no problems, (i also spoke with the seller and he uses unleaded and said both are ok) if I get this car would I be able to do this? How much insurance am I looking at, the GS already kills me lol The seller will also provide a clean carfax report, everything looks good.......

Few mods worth mentioning:

· Invader Body Kit Extreme Dimensions
· Engine on 21000 Miles After Complete Rebuild
· New Radiator and 2 After Market Fans (front and back)
· New Z-rated Tires
· New Racing Seats
· Custom Interior Vinyl Trim and Lighting Effects.
· New CD Stereo and Speakers.
· Custom Exhaust (intoxicating true sports car sound)
· New Catalytic Converters
· New Clutch Pedal and Master Cylinders
· New Instrument Cluster Gauge Panel
· Vyper alarm system

Old 07-19-05, 08:58 PM
LexFather

If there are maintenance records, I'd hit it.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2095986

Old 07-19-05, 09:10 PM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If there are maintenance records, I'd hit it.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2095986
Thanks for the link. Hot pics of the ZX's Wish it didnt have 150,000ish mileage with rebuilt engine but then again only know how she handles when test drive and a mechanic checks it all out.
Old 07-19-05, 10:20 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

It came with 2+2 ? That is awesome! My friend had two of those but each of them only had 2 seats. 2+2 is great, I never believed in that until the 3 and the solara proved their versatility to everyday usage and weekend trip.
Old 07-20-05, 10:42 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

The back seats of the 300Z 2+2 is nothing like the ones on Solara or SC3/4 for that matter. The Z back seats are better suited for infants and children under the age of 7. Nissan simply re-located the gas tank and squeezed in two little seats to make the Z more appealing to the mass, that's all.

The only drawback of the 90' model I can think of is the lack of driver side airbag, which was not introduced until the 91' model.

Also, with only 220hp on tap, the naturally aspirated Z isn't exactly fast even if it's a stick shift model. It ran from 0-60mph in the mid. to high 6s if I remember correctly.

Jon
Old 07-20-05, 10:45 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my Dad had the '91 back in the day and le me just tell you these cars are FUN to drive. They corner like they're on rails...no kidding. That's a lot of car for $5500 IMO. Go for it!
Old 07-20-05, 12:15 PM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
The back seats of the 300Z 2+2 is nothing like the ones on Solara or SC3/4 for that matter. The Z back seats are better suited for infants and children under the age of 7. Nissan simply re-located the gas tank and squeezed in two little seats to make the Z more appealing to the mass, that's all.

The only drawback of the 90' model I can think of is the lack of driver side airbag, which was not introduced until the 91' model.

Also, with only 220hp on tap, the naturally aspirated Z isn't exactly fast even if it's a stick shift model. It ran from 0-60mph in the mid. to high 6s if I remember correctly.

Jon
I thought they came with 300hp standard and you could get tons more with mods which seem to be very avaible. Man even being in the 6's is high for me since the GS is slow slow and my parents dont have any fast cars.

And Yes I am going to go for it, looking and test driving it tonight and taking it to a mechanic from there
Old 07-20-05, 12:20 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Nope.

300hp is the twin turbo version, which was never available with the 2 + 2 configuration.

Jon

Originally Posted by NoS
I thought they came with 300hp standard and you could get tons more with mods which seem to be very avaible. Man even being in the 6's is high for me since the GS is slow slow and my parents dont have any fast cars.

And Yes I am going to go for it, looking and test driving it tonight and taking it to a mechanic from there
Old 07-20-05, 02:11 PM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Nope.

300hp is the twin turbo version, which was never available with the 2 + 2 configuration.

Jon
Still it sounds fast enough for me and if I want more power I will add more mods. Cant wait to test drive and see it tonight !!!!
Old 07-20-05, 03:46 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks pretty good NoS... Not bad for a second car... I've always liked the 300 ZX Good luck
Old 07-20-05, 04:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

First, before you do anything else, make sure you can FIT in it. I don't know your physical size, but this car had one of the worst rooflines I have ever seen for a tall person. I am 6' 2" and pretty chunky, and I remember ther ones I sat in, I had to recline the seat to the point where I was lying almost flat on my back just to clear the roof...and the low sunroof. Driving it was almost out of the question.....you'd submarine under the belts in nothing flat.

Speaking of seats, I take it those bright-blue seats and door trim are not stock, right ? I cannot recall ever seeing those in a production ZX.
Old 07-20-05, 06:30 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Always one of my all-time favourites , go for it !
Old 07-20-05, 07:12 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Nope.

Jon
I believe the turbo 300ZX sold in Europe and possibly Japan came in the 2+2 configuration and the rare SMZ used the 2+2 version as a base for their special high performance turbo cars. As for a daily driver the 300ZX will probrably not be as reliable as you GS300. It also has less room and will have a rougher taughter ride. 300ZX are great looking/handling fun cars but the maintanence cost is pretty high and the engine bay is very cramped. I think the engine has to be removed to change the timing belt and some other work. The Z's are very heavy too so that 222hp is not going to seem very fast but it will probrably be a little faster than your GS. You can also turbo and modify your GS300 to be fast if that is what you are looking for. I think you should look for a lower mileage car if you really want a 300ZX 2+2 but if you are sure this one has been well taken care of than hopefully you will not have too much trouble down the road. The insurance will still be pretty high but maybe not as bad as your GS since the Z is much older. If you were getting that 300ZX as a second fun project car I would say go for it but as a daily driver when you have a very good well built daily driver I don't know if I would recommend replacing the GS. Good Luck.
Old 07-20-05, 07:24 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

That may be so. As you can see, there are 2 + 2 twin turbo models sold in other countries.

http://www.dayimports.ca/

However, this car was known as the Fairlady Z in the Japanese and European markets, not 300ZX.

Thanks for the correction.

Jon

Originally Posted by UDel
I believe the turbo 300ZX sold in Europe and possibly Japan came in the 2+2 configuration and the rare SMZ used the 2+2 version as a base for their special high performance turbo cars. As for a daily driver the 300ZX will probrably not be as reliable as you GS300. It also has less room and will have a rougher taughter ride. 300ZX are great looking/handling fun cars but the maintanence cost is pretty high and the engine bay is very cramped. I think the engine has to be removed to change the timing belt and some other work. The Z's are very heavy too so that 222hp is not going to seem very fast but it will probrably be a little faster than your GS. You can also turbo and modify your GS300 to be fast if that is what you are looking for. I think you should look for a lower mileage car if you really want a 300ZX 2+2 but if you are sure this one has been well taken care of than hopefully you will not have too much trouble down the road. The insurance will still be pretty high but maybe not as bad as your GS since the Z is much older. If you were getting that 300ZX as a second fun project car I would say go for it but as a daily driver when you have a very good well built daily driver I don't know if I would recommend replacing the GS. Good Luck.
Old 07-20-05, 08:34 PM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Well thanks everyone anyhow but the car sold right when I got their and the car wasnt all the clean, guess my hopes where to high for a 14 year car.... the search goes on

Quick Reply: 1990 NISSAN 300ZX 2+2? Any Good?