Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's the next step for Hyundai?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 11:33 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the next step for Hyundai?

So, Hyundai has the full range of sedans covered:

Sub-compact: Accent
Compact: Elantra
Midsize: Sonata
Fullsize: Azera

The requisite two SUVs and a minivan:

Compact SUV: Tucson
Midsize SUV: Santa Fe
Minivan: Entourage

And a sports car:

Sports car: Tiburon

What's next logical step for Hyundai? A compact pick-up? A Sonata-based coupe? A new luxury brand?

If they go with a new luxury brand (which I think will happen within the next ten years), they can take the approach that Lexus took when it first launched.

Start with just two models. A well appointed, rebadged Sonata/Azera (a la ES250) and bring over a rebadged next generation V8 Equus and price it 30% to 40% less than the LS460/750i/S500 (much like what the first LS400 did to the 7 and the S).

Last edited by jrock65; 07-20-05 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-20-05, 12:07 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

well long run they need to reestablish their name...and let people get over the stigma that they're throw away cars and that they are reliable and dependable. Keeping the pricing low will attract those customers needing an affordable commuter, and when they are ready and have had a good experience they'll move up market and get into a more expensive model.
Old 07-20-05, 12:17 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Introducing a new luxury line would be the next logical step but I think they're still quite a way from that. I saw somewhere that Kia or Hyundai already had a prototype truck going. That was about 6 or more months ago so who knows what happened to it after that. If they dont act I think Kia will beat them to it. They have the Amanti out and its making good sales for them. Their next step is the same as Hyundai. They're a little less developed in the line up compared to Hyundai but they still have a good chance
Old 07-20-05, 12:21 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

"If they dont act I think Kia will beat them to it."

??? But Hyundai owns and controls Kia. The Tucson and Sportage are based on the same platform, and the Entourage and Sedona/Carnival are based on the same platform.

The next Optima will probably be based on the Sonata, and the next Amanti will probably be based on the Azera.
Old 07-20-05, 12:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
So, Hyundai has the full range of sedans covered:

And a sports car:

Sports car: Tiburon

I wouldn't call the Tiburon a sports car. It's more of a small sports coupe.
The next thing we're going to see from Hyundai in the immediate future is a new Accent this fall.

My personal opinion is that one thing Hyundai needs now that it does not currently have is an AWD passenger car like a Sonata, Elantra or XG350 All-Trac. ( I've eliminated the Accent because its engine does not have enough torque for AWD). Hyundai currently does AWD but only on the Santa Fe and Tuscon.....a mistake, IMO. Subaru and Audi have both demonstrated that AWD can be easily done across the board.
Old 07-20-05, 12:58 PM
Milla...

I don't know maybe something along the lines of an SUT (sport Utility Truck) like Honda's Ridgeline.