Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What move should I make next?
Vette C5 to add turbo
9.38%
93-95 Supra
9.38%
97-98 Supra (less money for mods)
28.13%
GS 400 and a bike
21.88%
LS1-FD
3.13%
Get a Kia Rio and just blow the rest on strippers......
28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Time for another car! Hard to decide

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-05, 09:25 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Time for another car! Hard to decide

Guys I've recently gotten back on my feet with a good job, gotten my debts in order and can now afford to get a different car.

Unfortunately, Lexus does not offer anything in my price range ($30k and under) and anything that I'm looking for in this particular purchase...
I was going to keep my SC and put a 1jz in it... but I think I'm getting tired of the same car for 4 years...

BUT

Right now I'm deciding between 2 different cars and I'm finding it really hard (and I shouldnt)

I've always always wanted a 93-95 SupraTT... for the longest time I havent been able to afford it... BUT I can afford it now and the insurance has dropped a lot (and will drop even more when I turn 25 in November)..
clean 94s are usually running around $25k nowadays... its hard to find something in decent shape for cheaper....
I dont think it needs any explanation... you can make the car FAST for not too much investment... the aftermarket is exploding on this car and the resale value is INCREASING everyday for different reasons. It also has that "Gawk and Awe" factor that other cars just cant match (aside from the NSX, etc)

BUT

Recently there's been a newer turbokit that has come out for C5 Corvettes. This one kit is about $8k and has dyno results at 8psi for LS6 motors at 590rwhp with a terrific powerband... on regular LS1its around 525-530whp at 8psi... NOT BAD considering the investment, and that the car only weighs around 3200lbs or so
97-99 C5s can be picked up fro around $16-$18k and for the same cash invested in the Supra, I could have a 600hp Corvette. But the Vette you see everyday and doesnt evoke as much emotion as a Supra does.

What do you think and why?
And if you have any other suggestions, please tell me....

But... I wont buy a fbody, I've thought about the LS1-FD idea and its a bit too much trouble... no SR20 swaps or anything related to Nissan, nothing FWD either...

My mind is aching from thinking about it too much... I guess I want to be talked into the Supra but I'm on the fence here...

I would have posted at SupraForums, but I already know what their answer would be: "If you have to ask then you shouldnt get the supra blah blah..."
Old 07-25-05, 09:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i would get the supra tt. i am never a fan of american builts, and i don't really like the c5 vettes neither, so...
Old 07-25-05, 10:21 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Beans my freind you already experienced one monster inline 6. Why not the evil darkside version? You know what I'm talkin about.
Old 07-25-05, 10:23 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Tough decision! I like both...............

But I'd probably end up with the Supra.

Check out the SWEET rides in these galleries though. These Supras and Vettes are RAW!

http://www.iforged.com/showroom/view...umName=album11

http://www.iforged.com/showroom/view...umName=album09
Old 07-26-05, 05:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Unfortunately, Lexus does not offer anything in my price range ($30k and under) and anything that I'm looking for in this particular purchase...

I've always always wanted a 93-95 SupraTT...

And if you have any other suggestions, please tell me....

..."
Here's a suggestion...and you'll get a brand-new car rather than a used one. Lexus DOES make something on the very high end of your price range ( 30K and below ). Try and find a new end-of-model-year base-model IS300 on the lot. Without a lot of options they list for around 31K or so....but with pressure to clear the lots out for the new V6 IS250/350, they will probably go out the door for 30K or less. You will not only have a new car but the SAME straight-6 engine block that went into the 93-95 Supra. So...you want turbos? Just save up a little more money and then retrofit....you don't have to put them on right away. When you find a suitable aftermarket package...or a TRD one if available.....then you can redo the engine to add the turbos. You can check with flipside909 if you want...he is more of an expert on aftermarket and TRD parts than I am. Yes, you might void the engine warranty if you put turbos on it...especially non-TRD ones, but, hey, look at it this way.....you wouldn't have a warranty with a 93-95 vintage Supra either.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-26-05 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-26-05, 08:06 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here's a suggestion...and you'll get a brand-new car rather than a used one. Lexus DOES make something on the very high end of your price range ( 30K and below ). Try and find a new end-of-model-year base-model IS300 on the lot. Without a lot of options they list for around 31K or so....but with pressure to clear the lots out for the new V6 IS250/350, they will probably go out the door for 30K or less. You will not only have a new car but the SAME straight-6 engine block that went into the 93-95 Supra. So...you want turbos? Just save up a little more money and then retrofit....you don't have to put them on right away. When you find a suitable aftermarket package...or a TRD one if available.....then you can redo the engine to add the turbos. You can check with flipside909 if you want...he is more of an expert on aftermarket and TRD parts than I am. Yes, you might void the engine warranty if you put turbos on it...especially non-TRD ones, but, hey, look at it this way.....you wouldn't have a warranty with a 93-95 vintage Supra either.

He would be doing the same exact thing he did with his previous lexus if he went this route... Might as well stick with a sleekier coupe.

Personally Id stick with my coupe and make it into this lighter weight road racer with it. Frankly im living out my fantasy when I say this but hey someone has to do it. I think the car has some hidden potential there, (I mean besides the power making potential..)

Last edited by Inabj2; 07-26-05 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-26-05, 09:05 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with mmarshall.

as tempting as a sleek Supra is...and as good as Supras may be...you'll never the real truth behind a used car, especially one that's been driven and modded and whatnot for ten years.

a new car you can guarantee that it gets treated right from day 1 to whenever.
Old 07-26-05, 09:18 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

do you want the WOW factor and reliability?? Then I say go for the Supra. As long as due dilligence is used in researching a used vehicle, you will be fine. I don't ever buy new cars....let someone else take the ridiculous depreciation hit on a new car...not the smartest move financially. Plus, the IS just doesn't have the WOW factor IMO..even with a turbo..
Old 07-26-05, 09:42 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

so does this mean that you're looking to get rid of the lexus in favor of another car? or are you going to get it as a second car? also, what are your primary uses for the car going to be?
Old 07-26-05, 09:49 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've already done that to my SC though and the IS motor is kinda brittle isnt it?

I can get a warranty on a Supra if I need to... but Ive never had a car with a warranty, I've always done all the work myself.

Originally Posted by ebruce2
do you want the WOW factor and reliability?? Then I say go for the Supra. As long as due dilligence is used in researching a used vehicle, you will be fine. I don't ever buy new cars....let someone else take the ridiculous depreciation hit on a new car...not the smartest move financially. Plus, the IS just doesn't have the WOW factor IMO..even with a turbo..
Yeah! I want the WOW factor. People around here still say WOW to Vettes since they arent very common; but I do see about 2 or 3 a day. The people I'd want to get the "WOW" reaction from wouldnt give a damn about a Vette... maybe a C6 but thats a little outta my price range.

I agree, the IS has its own merits but definitely not that special something I'm looking for.

The thing that draws me to the vette, is that I can pick up a TT kit for it, get ECU reburns and other things pretty easily... no such thing on a Supra, so if I want to modify the ECU I either have to get a piggyback or a standalone... and the former not allowing revlimiter changes (the emanage ultimate might)...

With a nice cam, the TT kit and a mild clutch upgrade (the tt kit comes with fuel and everything) I could have a 600whp monster on pump gas.

Originally Posted by adidosc
so does this mean that you're looking to get rid of the lexus in favor of another car? or are you going to get it as a second car? also, what are your primary uses for the car going to be?
I might be getting rid of the Lexus, there is a forum member very interested in it... if I dont sell it to him I might keep it... I dunno.

Last edited by Bean; 07-26-05 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-26-05, 10:43 AM
KidPandJ
Pole Position

I would go with the C5, especially if you're getting a TT kit for it. I think you'd find it a little more fun to drive than the Supra. They're both really great cars but I think you'd find the V8 an interesting change of pace from an inline 6.
Old 07-26-05, 11:53 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would get thePontiac gto 2005 model. 400 horses LS6. Good Platform to start from to buld a beast
Old 07-26-05, 12:08 PM
LexFather

Bean, list what cars your thinking of and I can add a poll

Old 07-26-05, 12:43 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

The MKIV gets my votes as well. They are infinitely more rare that C5's around here.
Old 07-26-05, 12:57 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

between those two choices the supra,,, no way would i buy a used vette... better yet i would buy an sti or evo......evo being first choice... fun factor in these cars is amazing

Quick Reply: Time for another car! Hard to decide