Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: '07 Nissan Teana LHD, an Avalon fighter ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 07:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Spy Shots: '07 Nissan Teana LHD, an Avalon fighter ?

Is it a mule or an Avalon fighter?

These spy photos reveal what appears to be a new large sedan destined for Nissan's model-range - essentially a competitor for the Toyota Avalon - testing in the Southwest desert. This prototype is clearly based on the Japanese-market Nissan Teana, a large sedan that slots in just below the Nissan Fuga in Japan (the U.S. version of the Fuga is the Infiniti M35/M45).

The key here is that this prototype is left-hand drive (LHD). The Teana is only available in right-hand drive for the Japanese market, and its interior is an old-school design that has some older Buick overtones. This prototype has been changed to LHD, making it suitable for the U.S. market, and our interior shot shows that its dashboard has been redesigned to resemble the current models in Nissan's U.S. lineup.

This Teana-based prototype retains the Japanese-model's quirky styling, which combines the side-window design from the Infiniti M35/M45 with a Maxima-like front fascia and a rear end that mimics BMW's rump-hump found on the new 5- and 7-Series.

Judging from the extensive repackaging of the interior to left-hand drive, it appears that this car is being readied for the U.S. market. So why create such a car to slot in above the Maxima? Toyota has adopted a similar strategy with its Avalon, and it appears that Nissan is attempting a similar attack - adapting an up-market (Infiniti) platform to get a piece of the large, near-luxury-cruiser market.

These spy photos reveal what appears to be a new large sedan destined for Nissan's model-range - essentially a competitor for the Toyota Avalon - testing in the Southwest desert. This prototype is clearly based on the Japanese-market Nissan Teana, a large sedan that slots in just below the Nissan Fuga in Japan (the U.S. version of the Fuga is the Infiniti M35/M45).

The key here is that this prototype is left-hand drive (LHD). The Teana is only available in right-hand drive for the Japanese market, and its interior is an old-school design that has some older Buick overtones. This prototype has been changed to LHD, making it suitable for the U.S. market, and our interior shot shows that its dashboard has been redesigned to resemble the current models in Nissan's U.S. lineup.

This Teana-based prototype retains the Japanese-model's quirky styling, which combines the side-window design from the Infiniti M35/M45 with a Maxima-like front fascia and a rear end that mimics BMW's rump-hump found on the new 5- and 7-Series.

Judging from the extensive repackaging of the interior to left-hand drive, it appears that this car is being readied for the U.S. market. So why create such a car to slot in above the Maxima? Toyota has adopted a similar strategy with its Avalon, and it appears that Nissan is attempting a similar attack - adapting an up-market (Infiniti) platform to get a piece of the large, near-luxury-cruiser market.

source : thecarconnection.com
Old 07-26-05, 08:18 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a cool looking maxima!

There is NO room for this car.

Corrolla vs Sentra vs Civic
Camry vs Altima vs Accord
Avalon vs Maxima vs HA noting!
This thing vs??? wait why would I buy this over an infinity model?

Last edited by Inabj2; 07-26-05 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-26-05, 08:19 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

The front kinda looks like the Ford five hundred and the back is not my style at all. I'm not really feelin it at all. I'm guessing they will be using the same 3.5L V6 from the rest of their cars? It seems like an ok car but I just dont really like the over all look. If its going up against the avalon I wonder if it will have all the bells and whistles like smart key entry, laser cruise, seat heaters and cooler and of course the basic things like a read sunshade, navi and reclining rear seats
Old 07-26-05, 08:48 AM
owm
Driver School Candidate

This vehicle has been out in Singapore for a number of years now as the Cefiro model that competes with the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord:
[url]http://www.nissan.com.sg/lookfor/cefiro/cefiro_home.cfm[url]

Interior looks very different ...very weird in-your-face dials though.
Old 07-26-05, 09:06 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

so I guess Chris Bangle is moonlighting at Nissan now???
Old 07-26-05, 09:07 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ebruce2
so I guess Chris Bangle is moonlighting at Nissan now???

hahahaha

he's EVERYWHERE@!!
Old 07-26-05, 10:07 AM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

on another forum, carspyshots.net, people say it is a mule for the next generation Avalon
Old 07-26-05, 11:32 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

what's with the growing trend of these auto makers making ugly a$$ bootlids...i didn't like it on the 7 series, dont like it on the upcoming S class and now Nissan's getting into the frey!? I dont get it...the trunk looks like an add-on
Old 07-26-05, 11:49 AM
LexFather

ANother same sedan, different name from Ghosen and company
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=teana

It doesn't make sense except this car is to increase sales for Infiniti.
1. The Altima now battles the Camry and Accord and has done well this time around.
2. THe Maxima is ALREADY ABOVE the Altima, and it battles the Avalon. It might be marketed as a sports sedan and whoo hooo, 4 quad exhausts but it drives like an unrefined pig. Its one of the worst 30k cars I can think of. It does seem to be selling though.
3. I thought the Teana was a Maxima, but its ANOTHER sedan? To fit above the max? It makes no sense.
4. I think this will be badged an Infiniti as they try to make some sales. Lord knows they've killed enough names (J/G/I/QX/M and upcoming Q) and they'll bring them back with the same name and totally unrelated cars.
5. Infiniti did state they are going for 200k sales in the USA, it just isn't possible with the 1/2 way lineup they have now. So if this is an ES 330 fighter and sells maybe 20-30k cars a year, along with the bargain basement baby SUV coming, 200k sales is then possible.
6. So can u say upcoming I35 anyone? TO be honest I30/I35 owners seem to be a very happy bunch with the old car, it was perfectly adequate, just not class leading in anything. This seems like the perfect I35.
7. The Avalon is such a superb car, it was included in a comparo with cars not even in its class!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=avalon
And it spanked the competition here
So the Teana has its work cut out for it.

Old 07-26-05, 11:52 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
ANother same sedan, different name from Ghosen and company

It doesn't make sense except this car is to increase sales for Infiniti.
1. The Altima now battles the Camry and Accord and has done well this time around.
2. THe Maxima is ALREADY ABOVE the Altima, and it battles the Avalon. It might be marketed as a sports sedan and whoo hooo, 4 quad exhausts but it drives like an unrefined pig. Its one of the worst 30k cars I can think of. It does seem to be selling though.
3. I thought the Teana was a Maxima, but its ANOTHER sedan? To fit above the max? It makes no sense.
4. I think this will be badged an Infiniti as they try to make some sales. Lord knows they've killed enough names (J/G/I/QX/M and upcoming Q) and they'll bring them back with the same name and totally unrelated cars.
5. Infiniti did state they are going for 200k sales in the USA, it just isn't possible with the 1/2 way lineup they have now. So if this is an ES 330 fighter and sells maybe 20-30k cars a year, along with the bargain basement baby SUV coming, 200k sales is then possible.
6. So can u say upcoming I35 anyone? TO be honest I30/I35 owners seem to be a very happy bunch with the old car, it was perfectly adequate, just not class leading in anything. This seems like the perfect I35.
7. The Avalon is such a superb car, it was included in a comparo with cars not even in its class!
And it spanked the competition here
So the Teana has its work cut out for it.
Totally agreed the Avalon is not on the same level as the Maxima.
Old 07-26-05, 03:04 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I dont see why you continually say that all those models were killed off. They have nothing to do with each other in terms of their heritage, but obviously they were still kept since they are still on the current infiniti cars. The G20 is now the G35, the QX is now the QX56, the M is now the M35/45. The only names retired are the J and I.

Also, i highly doubt they would bring this car as an infiniti. They discontinued the i35 because they felt there was no more need for an ES330 fighter. It was also just an aging car. They already have the G35 to fill that price segment and it already does the job well. No point in having an all out luxury sedan. It would just steal sales from the g35. I actually prefer the design of the current maxima over that thing though
Old 07-26-05, 03:23 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to say but this car is quite ugly. I would much much rather get an Avalon or ES330.
Old 07-26-05, 03:50 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

i believe this was equivalent to the japanese cefiro, a car the past I35 was based on. More or less i believe it to the next i35, as it could pump a lot of volume into infiniti, especially with their lofty sales goal...
Old 07-26-05, 04:31 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

ok you gotta take the 2nd copiy of the text off... i was going crazy reading it.

looks ok i suppose... certainly not jumping out at me screaming "BUY ME!" though.
Old 07-26-05, 04:44 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

If that thing is supposed to do battle with the ES330 - then I'm calling it in favor of the ES right now.

It wont even be a battle - it'll be a straight massacre.

Look at the interior shot of that hunk-o-crap ... what in the world is going on w/ the cluster?

It looks awful - inside and out. If it comes over with an Infiniti badge, I'll lose a LOT of my new/recently-found respect for Infiniti.

M.

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: '07 Nissan Teana LHD, an Avalon fighter ?