Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Four hurt in 100-mph road race

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 09:08 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down Four hurt in 100-mph road race

Four hurt in 100-mph road race in Bethpage

BY MICHAEL FRAZIER
STAFF WRITER

July 26, 2005

A $20 bet drove two men to race their cars on Seamans Neck Road in Bethpage at up to 100 mph before one lost control Sunday and collided with a minivan, injuring himself and three more, Nassau police said Monday.

"Looks like both of them were losers," Homicide Det. Sgt. Dennis Barry said. "This was felony stupidity."

Police said Clint Georges, 20, of 648 Dorothea Lane in Elmont, raced his 2003 Honda Accord against a 2002 Nissan Altima driven by Daniel Toscano, 18, of 175 Queens Ave. in Elmont, before the 3:30 p.m. head-on crash.

Georges, traveling north, spun out and collided with the van driven by John Smith, 50, whose passenger was his wife, Doreen. The Wantagh couple, traveling south, were returning home after running an errand.

Monday, the Smiths were recuperating after being treated and released from New Island Hospital for leg wounds and bruises. "We're at home and we are resting, trying to recover," John Smith said.

Georges and Toscano were each charged with two counts of first-degree reckless endangerment, taking part in an unauthorized speed contest and reckless operation of a motor vehicle. First degree reckless endangerment is a felony punishable by two to seven years.

Georges and Toscano were not in illegal street racing crews and police said their cars were not modified for speed. In fact, police said, Georges is accused of racing his car on a doughnut, or spare tire, designed for temporary use at low speeds and short distances. As a result, Georges was also charged with unsafe tires. Police said excessive speed combined with the doughnut contributed to the crash. "Most people who have a doughnut on their car say, 'I'm not taking the car over 30 mph,'" Barry said. "This guy decides to race."

After colliding with the Smiths, Georges struck a parked car and a house at Seamans Neck Road. Georges' car finally stopped after striking two other parked cars and a fence.

Georges and his passenger, Shaguan Hinson, 17, whose hometown was unknown, were treated for injuries at Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow. Both were in stable condition Monday, police said. Toscano, who was arraigned Monday, was released on probation, pending another court hearing tomorrow. Georges will be arraigned upon release from the hospital, police said.
Old 07-26-05, 09:15 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

I can't believe the one moron decided to race on a DONUT!!!!!!! Why do these people insist on believing that Accords, Civics and Altimas are race cars!!?? Let alone completely unmodified ones??!!
Old 07-26-05, 09:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by GTFM
Georges is accused of racing his car on a doughnut, or spare tire, designed for temporary use at low speeds and short distances. As a result, Georges was also charged with unsafe tires. Police said excessive speed combined with the doughnut contributed to the crash. "Most people who have a doughnut on their car say, 'I'm not taking the car over 30 mph,'" Barry said. "This guy decides to race."
What a MORON !! I only feel bad for the innocent passengers of the van . . .
Old 07-26-05, 09:40 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

That's a pretty dangerous area, and it's one of Long Islands famous speed traps. I don't understand why you would race in a speed trap to begin with (perhaps that was the bet) let alone in a rather residential area with cars that are not at all designed for those speeds riding on a DOUGHNUT. Common Sense is a virtue, and apparently not quite common, as the one he raced against didn't bother to warn him or call off the race being that a doughnut was on the car....
Old 07-26-05, 10:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man this is completely retarded.... racing on donuts, what can i say.... moron times moron = moron square...

and did i read accord racing altima?
Old 07-26-05, 10:21 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's really weird. The almost identical scenario happened last night here in Atlanta. Two Mustangs racing each other down a super busy road, one rear ends an unsuspecting Taxi Van, and a passenger in the van is killed.

The road they were racing down is 2 lane coming/2 lane going with a turning lane in the middle type road with nothing but shops to both sides. A super main throughfare. Kinda like racing down Sunset Strip in Cali or something. Like that.

Idiots are born every minute.
Old 07-26-05, 10:39 AM
49GS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Racing on with a "DONUT"?!?
Old 07-26-05, 01:33 PM
JasonChen
Lead Lap

retarded.... totally.

Old 07-26-05, 01:41 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Maybe we can have the CL member that claims street racing is a good thing come and post how this is the medias fault.
Old 07-26-05, 01:45 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

18 & 20 + doughnut tire + two average econo-box cars. = should have stayed home and played GT4 instead

stupid people are everywhere.
Old 07-26-05, 02:49 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the best thing about this is that they listed their home addresses. "These guys are morons... and here's where they live"

Does anyone live around that area and feel like stopping by their homes and just giving them a giant b**ch slap on behalf of the percentage of the population that's at least of moderate intelligence?
Old 07-26-05, 02:57 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegassc400
Maybe we can have the CL member that claims street racing is a good thing come and post how this is the medias fault.
I think he probably doesn' t visit the Clubhouse, I don't recall ever seeing him post here
Old 07-26-05, 03:22 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

This was felony stupidity."
in another one of those "that outta be a law" moments..........
Old 07-26-05, 05:24 PM
JasonChen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
in another one of those "that outta be a law" moments..........
touche
Old 07-26-05, 09:03 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

I feel bad for the innocent people in the mini van.

Two retards whom probably finished watching the Fast and the Furious and decided to go and duplicate the sceanes from the movie.

Total and complete morons.

Quick Reply: Four hurt in 100-mph road race