Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Valentine One not "fool-proof"...they GOT ME!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 09:44 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Valentine One not "fool-proof"...they GOT ME!

I've REALLY come to rely on my V-1 radar detector and it's saved me numerous times... until this A.M. on the way to work! I don't really drive like a madman or race around on the street, but I admit I do exceed the speed limit *somewhat* on a regular basis. I am NOT a risk taker however, and try to be a considerate driver (so no "lectures" on speeding please )
Anyway,I had just gotten off the freeway and coming down a major blvd. through a commercial area with light traffic and SUDDENLY my V-1 beeps like crazy and goes instantly to full alert, then goes silent! Never seen it do that before (yes, I HAVE heard of "instant on" radar) but just as I start to slow down a bit, I see the motorcycle cop with lights on come out of a driveway and pull in behind me!
Yes, he wrote me up- fortunately, it's been about two years since my last speeding ticket. So, I figure the odds finally caught up with me (again) and no hard feelings toward the cop. Actually, he was very nice about it-almost apologtic! Besides, what could I say- I was definitely over the limit and we both knew it so... oh well.
Lesson: stay vigilant and don't be over confident in your radar detector. And if you get caught-don't whine about it; you probably deserve to get a ticket for something just about every day, right?
Old 07-26-05, 09:54 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it just you on the road... were there other cars ahead of you?
Old 07-26-05, 10:12 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmecbr900
Was it just you on the road... were there other cars ahead of you?
Yeah, there were other cars. With "instant on" radar, you have to rely on the detector picking up the "hit" on a car ahead of you. Mine did not pick up anything so I have to believe the cop had just set up after a previous victim, or I was his first of the day...
I figure if I can avoid 99% of them, I'll take the one that gets through every few years or so...
Worst part is-now I have to drive like a granny for a while and go to traffic school
Old 07-26-05, 10:13 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
SUDDENLY my V-1 beeps like crazy and goes instantly to full alert, then goes silent! Never seen it do that before (yes, I HAVE heard of "instant on" radar) but just as I start to slow down a bit, I see the motorcycle cop with lights on come out of a driveway and pull in behind me!
Laser or Ka? Still haven't gotten a ticket since I purchased my V1 (almost 5 years ago)...knock on wood
Old 07-26-05, 10:20 AM
SUPRATRD
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, there were other cars. With "instant on" radar, you have to rely on the detector picking up the "hit" on a car ahead of you. Mine did not pick up anything so I have to believe the cop had just set up after a previous victim, or I was his first of the day...
I figure if I can avoid 99% of them, I'll take the one that gets through every few years or so...
Worst part is-now I have to drive like a granny for a while and go to traffic school
Sounds like they got you with Ladar
Old 07-26-05, 10:21 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

I'm pretty sure he tagged you with his Laser.
Old 07-26-05, 10:27 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

I should have asked him I guess... I was just trying to get to work on time and didn't think about it. The V-1 picked up the signal, just way too late for me to do anything... Does the V-1 pick up Laser signals? I know Valentine will upgrade the V-1 as technology changes...
Old 07-26-05, 10:30 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

yup, it does. I got tagged by laser before on the V1 (borrowed my friends)
It beeped really fast then stopped. Luckily I wasnt speeding. =)
Old 07-26-05, 10:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no i am pretty sure it's not laser. the cali cops use lasers but RARELY. they still mostly use ka band and just keep in mind the instant on system has been inforced for a long time and they work very well.

the v1 picks up laser but it's totally different. when it's laser, everything goes off right the way and the screen will flash very fast. and the tone is very different too, you will know. just get a remote control from home and shoot it at the radar detector when it's on and you will see what's laser

a lot of times already (on freeway or on roads), i see cops hidden with the guns in their hands. what they do is they literally raise the gun to point to a car and then shoot (yup, just like shooting a gun). the gun will turn on immediately and record the meet, and you are done

sorry to hear about your ticket man. i guess he just noticed you were speeding faster than other cars and decided to tag you first. usually when they tag other people your system will go off already and slow down

i hardly use my v1 on local roads, but i have seen tons of hidden cops these days. too risky to speed on local roads these days
Old 07-26-05, 10:41 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

just get a remote control from home and shoot it at the radar detector when it's on and you will see what's laser
Damn henry... never would have thought to use a remote to test the system to listen to the tone. haha
Old 07-26-05, 10:49 AM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

Look on the Valentine One website there is this new thing called "POP" radar. V1 has an upgrade for it now the cops are supposed to use it in conjunction with regular radar not alone but the cops in NJ use it alone which is illegal. This POP radar is to fast for the older V1 unless yours is brand new or you got the POP upgrade then yours won't pick it up.
Old 07-26-05, 10:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

haha well, that's better than asking a cop to help you test right?

seriously, i learned that trick when someone was doing audio install on the car. i was surprised too!
Old 07-26-05, 10:55 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Guess I gotta carry a huge remote with me in my car. So i can mess with my friend running the V1. lol
Old 07-26-05, 10:56 AM
beauphus
Pole Position

how is the K40 compared to V1? I have K40 but i never turn it on since i havent been driving the car that much. Which one is better?
Old 07-26-05, 11:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Obeying traffic laws is NOT granny-driving.........it is just common sense.

Quick Reply: Valentine One not "fool-proof"...they GOT ME!