Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Unveils GS, SC and IS Vehicle Series for Japan

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 10:30 AM
LexFather

Default Lexus, officially, WELCOME HOME!!!

http://www.forbes.com/2005/07/26/toy...acescan02.html

Its official! Today is the 1st day Lexus is sold in Japan.
Watanabe's Toyota Rolls Out Lexus In Japan

How about Toyota's Lexus? Auto enthusiasts cruelly dub the sleek-looking roadster the "Japanese Mercedes", and bicker over the provenance of its name: Some believe it comes from the combination of "luxury" and "elegance", while others claim it's an acronym, derived from "luxury exports to the U.S."

Such concerns should not dog the introduction of the Lexus luxury brand in Japan. Today Toyota Motor (nyse: TM - news - people )unveiled the three models that will now bear the Lexus marque--Japan's number one auto maker had hitherto sold the models under the Toyota name. There's a notion that Japan's changing, and as it does, a new upper class is being born--an upper class that's not sheepish about shelling out for something ostensibly flashier. Toyota's only too willing to oblige--it has set up luxurious-looking dealerships, with leather-trimmed furniture and obsequious hotel-quality service to flog the up-market Lexus.

"This is the realization of our dream to create a global luxury brand" explained Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe to reporters in Tokyo, according to The Associated Press. "This is something we have wanted for many years." Watanabe is looking at sales of 3,000 vehicles per month sales for the three new models he's planning to roll out. Last year Toyota sold more than 358,000 Lexus vehicles around the world, about 80% of them in North America. More ...

Old 07-26-05, 11:10 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn mike, do you ever rest??? I was just getting ready to put this link up in here.
Old 07-26-05, 11:22 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's an interesting gamble, one I hope will pay off! Good luck Lexus!!!
Old 07-26-05, 11:36 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Lexus Unveils GS, SC and IS Vehicle Series for Japan

New Models to Kick Off Domestic Sales on August 30

Credit: Toyota Motor Corporation, Japan

Last edited by flipside909; 07-26-05 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-26-05, 11:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ebruce2
damn mike, do you ever rest??? I was just getting ready to put this link up in here.

I want to give Flipside the credit for the thread but when I merged, my post went first b/c of the time.

Old 07-26-05, 11:57 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I want to give Flipside the credit for the thread but when I merged, my post went first b/c of the time.
LOL! Just wait. I'll post it soon on the front page.
Old 07-26-05, 12:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909
LOL! Just wait. I'll post it soon on the front page.
SICK=OWNED

Old 07-26-05, 12:16 PM
LexFather

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050726/...n_toyota_lexus

Toyota Introducing Lexus Brand to Japan

By YURI KAGEYAMA, AP Business Writer Tue Jul 26, 6:34 AM ET

TOKYO - Bow-tied waiters held trays of mineral water and chic ambient music filled the air as Toyota unveiled the three models Tuesday that will mark the introduction of the Lexus luxury brand in Japan, 16 years after it was rolled out in the United States.

For a combination of cultural and business reasons, Japan's No. 1 carmaker has until now avoided using the Lexus brand in its homeland, choosing instead to sell many of the same models under its trusted Toyota name.

For years, conformist Japan has lived under the ideal that everyone is middle class, and most people tended to shun flashy or luxury cars that stand out.

But Toyota officials say Japan is changing, and a growing upper class is willing to spend — though how the new brand will fare in this notoriously finicky consumer market is uncertain.

Toyota Motor Corp. says it's trying to sell more than a car. It wants to give customers "an experience," and set up luxurious-looking dealerships, complete with leather furniture and hotel-quality service, especially for the Lexus. The showrooms open Aug. 30.

"This is the realization of our dream to create a global luxury brand," Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe told reporters at a giant tent pitched in a Tokyo park, similar to tents for fashion shows and other gala events here. "This is something we have wanted for many years."

The Lexus models sold in Japan, which were known here as the Toyota Aristo, Soarer and Altezza, are slightly different from — and cheaper than — the sedan models shown Tuesday, the GS430/GS350, SC430 and IS350/250, priced as much as $61,000.

Toyota is counting on the success Lexus scored since its debut in 1989 in the United States, including excellent J.D. Power and Associates rankings, to woo rich Japanese, who now buy imports such as BMW and Mercedes Benz.

Toyota, based in Toyota city, in central Japan, has set up a special training center to groom classy, courteous dealers to sell the Lexus brand in Japan. That's proved a challenge because Japanese dealers are already superior to what people are used to in the United States and other nations.

Watanabe said Toyota is targeting 3,000 vehicles a month sales for the three models combined, and other Lexus models will start selling in coming years, including a hybrid GS next year. Toyota sold 7,900 of the planned Lexus three models combined last year in Japan as Toyotas.

This year, Toyota expects to sell 84,000 vehicles of the three new Lexus models around the world, 20,000 of them in Japan, Watanabe said. Next year, that the company hopes that will climb to 500,000 worldwide for all Lexus models — 50,000 to 60,000 in Japan, he said.

Toyota sold more than 358,000 Lexus vehicles around the world last year, about 80 percent of them in North America. Since 1989, Lexus global sales have totaled more than 2.7 million.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050726/...n_toyota_lexus

Old 07-26-05, 12:32 PM
LexFather

These figures interested me

Toyota sold 7,900 of the planned Lexus three models combined last year in Japan as Toyotas.

This year, Toyota expects to sell 84,000 vehicles of the three new Lexus models around the world, 20,000 of them in Japan, Watanabe said. Next year, that the company hopes that will climb to 500,000 worldwide for all Lexus models — 50,000 to 60,000 in Japan, he said.

Toyota sold more than 358,000 Lexus vehicles around the world last year, about 80 percent of them in North America. Since 1989, Lexus global sales have totaled more than 2.7 million.

Old 07-26-05, 12:44 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrat Toyota/Lexus
In the end I really think Toyota/Honda gave up their roots. Hear me out first.
While did both companies sell out just to sell vehicles in North America? Even though it's just a name I really feel I would've purchase a Honda or Toyota for over 30K. But I don't want rain on the parade.

Congrats once again Lexus.
Old 07-26-05, 04:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

So the GS in Japan has an Active Stabilizer bar. Is that KDSS???? If so then I WANT THAT!!!!!!

So the new Lexus cars in Japan have a Hard Drive Navi that can store music??? So that means goodbye iPod??? If so then I WANT THAT!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-05, 05:48 PM
LexFather

If ya'll thought Lexus was serious before, well we have seen nothing yet. Since they truly want it to be global and they want to basically have Lexus represent Japan like how Benz/BMW etc represent Germany, I think they will really step the cars/SUVs up.......

Old 07-27-05, 11:52 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Vids of the debut at:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/jp/tech/new_cars/lexus/message/