Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Altima with OEM 2GS spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 10:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
identity crisis.....
now that logo, that's beyond nasty.
Old 07-27-05, 12:06 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
I have no problem accepting this opinion. I was just curious about the whole FWD and spoilers generalization.

Yeah i dont get it either. Flip, please explain. May be i should go out now and take off the spoiler from my RSX.

I actually think the car looks OK. not that bad.
Old 07-27-05, 12:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

acura tl has spoiler
nissan maxima has spoiler
toyota camry has spoiler

does mini have spoiler?
how about the beetle?
Old 07-27-05, 12:52 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
acura tl has spoiler
nissan maxima has spoiler
toyota camry has spoiler

does mini have spoiler?
how about the beetle?
yeah they do. new turbo bug has automatic retractable one which only deploys over 40MPH i think, and mini has one mounted on the hatch.

may be those should taken off too? ?
Old 07-27-05, 04:14 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would someone do that. Im sure he could have found an aftermarket spoiler to put on it It doesnt fit right and doesnt look right. And the chrysler logo. This guy must not know what he drives
Old 07-27-05, 06:21 AM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

what difference does it make if the spoiler is on a fwd or rwd car? spoilers or wings are used to give downforce and aid in high-speed stability. they are used by both rwd and fwd in touring car races.

in racing applications, they make sense but for production vehicles, they are mainly aesthetic. early american muscle cars that competed in nascar needed huge wings because they struggled to put the power down to the rear wheels. that was because they had massive cast-iron engines that made the front so heavy.

nowadays, i dont think any production rwd vehicle today has that problem. if you think about what cars are rwd these days, most of them weigh 3500 lbs or more with a weight distribution of around 60%fr/40%r so they have no trouble putting the power to the rear wheels. adding a spoiler to a rwd car then wouldn't help much in putting the power down. if anything, having subs and amps in the trunk can give more dynamic load to the rear than then could a spoiler.

fwd cars have around a 90/10 weight distribution so there is little load on the rear wheels. this is apparent if you ever see a fwd car taking a corner on only three wheels. so it helps to have downforce to keep the rear wheels planted. also, under heavy braking, the downforce can help the rear wheels put down braking force to the ground.
Old 07-27-05, 06:57 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
from this angle is doesn't look completely horrible.

but his looks like crap.

Fitment is very poor. Guy should have done some test fitting. Then he would have realized (maybe) that it doesn't fit correctly!
Old 07-27-05, 08:01 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

yea not cool but i've seen much much worse
Old 07-27-05, 01:34 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLiP Sp33d
what difference does it make if the spoiler is on a fwd or rwd car? spoilers or wings are used to give downforce and aid in high-speed stability. they are used by both rwd and fwd in touring car races.
Agreed

fwd cars have around a 90/10 weight distribution so there is little load on the rear wheels. this is apparent if you ever see a fwd car taking a corner on only three wheels. so it helps to have downforce to keep the rear wheels planted. also, under heavy braking, the downforce can help the rear wheels put down braking force to the ground.
90/10? Is that a realistic number? In that case I'm gonna not buy a FWD coupe... evar!
Old 07-27-05, 03:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

True but when did a regular family sedan need stability driving 65 mph on the freeway? Sure they maybe racing to get the first parking spot...but they're only going at the most 35mph in a parking lot.

90/10 huh? Which car is this" My Solara (remember that you dug a few years ago) that is very similar to your MCV20 ES300 has a weight distribution somewhere between 70/30 and 60/40. I don't recall the exact numbers. If a FWD car had a 90/10 weight distribution, the car would tip forward and never accellerate correctly.

The reason why you see many FWD cars specifically VW Golf/GTi react they way they do in hard corner is due to its weight distribution, chassis/suspension design and wheelbase. Even if I were to put super stiff sways and set my coilovers to the firmest setting, I will get 3 wheel motion with my IS300 despite the fact it's RWD. The stiff sways and springs basically cancels the idea of a 4 wheel independent suspension..which will allow the rear wheels to lift under hard cornering and sometimes the front wheel.

I thought rear wings helped in downforce during high speeds since cars usually lose stability and traction going at that rate. I did not study physics or engineering in college, but from my basic physics understanding, as you decrease your speed, lower wind resistance/coefficient of drag which equates to less airflow going over the car. Not trying to discredit your theory, just need a better understanding/explanation.

Last edited by flipside909; 07-27-05 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-27-05, 05:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

well imho most cars with spoilers now are for the cosmetic look anyway, so to me no matter it's on the toyota camry or my gs400, i don't think it really matters much
Old 07-27-05, 05:23 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DC52E55
Yeah i dont get it either. Flip, please explain. May be i should go out now and take off the spoiler from my RSX.

I actually think the car looks OK. not that bad.
I dont get his reasoning for why a FWD car shouldnt have a spoiler either
Old 07-27-05, 05:26 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Xenthar
I dont get his reasoning for why a FWD car shouldnt have a spoiler either
For asthetics yes. For actual performance...not too sure about that particularly on a regular vehicle driven on public roads.
Old 07-28-05, 11:20 AM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
True but when did a regular family sedan need stability driving 65 mph on the freeway? Sure they maybe racing to get the first parking spot...but they're only going at the most 35mph in a parking lot.

90/10 huh? Which car is this" My Solara (remember that you dug a few years ago) that is very similar to your MCV20 ES300 has a weight distribution somewhere between 70/30 and 60/40. I don't recall the exact numbers. If a FWD car had a 90/10 weight distribution, the car would tip forward and never accellerate correctly.

The reason why you see many FWD cars specifically VW Golf/GTi react they way they do in hard corner is due to its weight distribution, chassis/suspension design and wheelbase. Even if I were to put super stiff sways and set my coilovers to the firmest setting, I will get 3 wheel motion with my IS300 despite the fact it's RWD. The stiff sways and springs basically cancels the idea of a 4 wheel independent suspension..which will allow the rear wheels to lift under hard cornering and sometimes the front wheel.

I thought rear wings helped in downforce during high speeds since cars usually lose stability and traction going at that rate. I did not study physics or engineering in college, but from my basic physics understanding, as you decrease your speed, lower wind resistance/coefficient of drag which equates to less airflow going over the car. Not trying to discredit your theory, just need a better understanding/explanation.
ok... 90/10 is a bit extreme. i thought i saw that figure somewhere in car and driver. turns out to be around 70/30 for cars like the integra and 200sx. point is, fwd cars typically have more weight in the front than rwd cars.

sure, decreasing speed lowers airflow going over the car for the wing to generate downforce. imagine decreasing speed at high speeds, 120 or whatever. just using the brake you'll decelerate to 110, 100, 90, 80 in increments of a couple of seconds (unless you drive an enzo). even though the speed is still decreasing, there is still substantial airflow for the wing to create downforce, aiding the rear wheels to apply braking power.

there are a lot of threads in other forums about people bashing spoilers on fwd. maybe you were influenced by them or by people who just hate fwd. whether you agree with what i posted or not, at least you have something to think about before you start saying spoilers on fwd are stupid.
Old 07-28-05, 11:38 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

there are a lot of threads in other forums about people bashing spoilers on fwd. maybe you were influenced by them or by people who just hate fwd. whether you agree with what i posted or not, at least you have something to think about before you start saying spoilers on fwd are stupid.
I don't necessarily hate FWD but I've owned enough of them to know they're not that fun to drive..at least the ones i've owned. So don't stereotype me being one of those who only read what's on the internet. I don't really spend much time on other message boards other than CL, my.is and TN occassionally. You've seen my Solara as you were the one who actually spent time to dig up a photo and post a worthless thread on it. Yes it has a decklid spoiler, but it did come from the factory like that. It serves more of an asthetic piece than anything else. My IS300 is the sameway...has a decklid spoiler for asthetic purposes, and I do know that it's not big enough to create downforce to the rear at high speeds...perhaps a little..but not much. 54/46 weight ratio for the IS is pretty good for a daily driven sports sedan...can't really say the same for the ES, Solara or Camry for that matter.

I do know you don't need a huge rear spoiler to assist with braking or aerodynamics for everyday driving. You're not decelerating from 100+ speeds to enter a hairpin corner on a daily driven vehicle. Asthetics okay fine..but performance...unless you're circuit racing for a title or prize money..it's basically pointless.

Quick Reply: Nissan Altima with OEM 2GS spoiler