Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Considers Model Above the Q45 - Edmunds . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-05 | 07:40 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Practically speaking, there have been so many different cars built in this world and only so many ways to make headlights and taillights look acceptable, that no matter what kind of design a manufacturer makes, someone will be able to say "Lookie look! Car X from brand A copied car Y from brand B!"
Old 07-31-05 | 08:00 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrock65
Practically speaking, there have been so many different cars built in this world and only so many ways to make headlights and taillights look acceptable, that no matter what kind of design a manufacturer makes, someone will be able to say "Lookie look! Car X from brand A copied car Y from brand B!"
That's true ... there are also many factors that DO limit design ... insurance, cost of manufacturing and equipment, technologies involved, connection to older gen models, keeping the design limited as to not alienate the core buyers ... there's many factors I guess, and in the end it's why many cars look similar. Making a radical design is a big risk for any company.

Then again, it's sometimes easy to catch when certain automakers are clearly stealing cues from each other.
Old 07-31-05 | 09:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That's true ... there are also many factors that DO limit design ... insurance, cost of manufacturing and equipment, technologies involved, connection to older gen models, keeping the design limited as to not alienate the core buyers ... there's many factors I guess, and in the end it's why many cars look similar. Making a radical design is a big risk for any company.

Then again, it's sometimes easy to catch when certain automakers are clearly stealing cues from each other.
Well said. The CLS is definitely a radical design and a big risk that MBZ made. So far so good though. Lexus and Infinti tend to play the safe route going with a more conventional approach in their design evolutions. The Nissan brand however on the other hand, almost like the Bangle era of BMW's...the designs are definitely different but quite controversial.
Old 08-01-05 | 08:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909
Well said. The CLS is definitely a radical design and a big risk that MBZ made. So far so good though. Lexus and Infinti tend to play the safe route going with a more conventional approach in their design evolutions. The Nissan brand however on the other hand, almost like the Bangle era of BMW's...the designs are definitely different but quite controversial.
The CLS is just breathtaking. I was at Phipps plaza (luxury car heaven here) and just stock, the car is just different in a good way. Nothing looks like it. Beautiful
Old 08-01-05 | 08:27 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

VERY smart move by INFINITI/NISSAN!

Their sales are through the roof and having such solid $ performers as the G, M, and most of their Nissan line, this makes perfect since. If they maintain their build performance and bring out say a 350+hp V8 Luxury Sedan with more pizazz than the Q, they should have yet another winner on their hands.
If they combine their already "performance oriented" cars with an ultra luxury and stylish sedan, should be a contender plan and simple.
Old 08-06-05 | 09:33 PM
Order66
Rookie

The more I think about it, if Infiniti wants their next flagship to be a success they need to forget about Lexus, Mercedes, or BMW. They should aim for Maserati. If they could produce a car like the Quattroporte that was just as stylish, powerful, and luxurious for thousands less they might just have a winner with the public.
Old 08-06-05 | 11:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Nissan President, if they would do a left-hand drive version and bring it over here, would be a good move.....I agree with the posters who made this suggestion.

This car, IMO, would also be a hit with limo firms too. It has that limo-look, conservative squared-off styling and hood ornament that limo firms liked so much in the pre-1998 Lincoln Town Car. When the Town Car was completely restyled in 1998 with the new Jaguar-look and slightly decontented, the values of used 1997 and older Town Cars skyrocketed as limo firms hung on to them like glue. This was a major styling and marketing mistake by Lincoln at the time...something they have still not admitted........ and while there has been some recovery in numbers, Town Car sales have not been the same since.

Anyhow, Nissan / Infiniti could maybe fill some of that void here and market the President as both a Q45 replacement for private owners and as a Town Car replacement for limo firms. As as selling to private owners, it is hard to imagine the President doing any worse than the q did.
Old 08-17-05 | 06:22 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Wow, all I can say is wow.

Always bad mouthing other manufactures making your egos all think you have the best car ever built.
Oh Russ, you never cease to amaze with your comments. Too bad you can't say the same for your first G35 or your beloved Titan which you did call a POS.
Old 08-17-05 | 06:51 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
Oh Russ, you never cease to amaze with your comments. Too bad you can't say the same for your first G35 or your beloved Titan which you did call a POS.
Wow bringing old threads back to life. The Titan is the one I called a POS, not the G35. I had issues at the time wtih my dealer on getting the tranny fixed to which they finally did. I never called that car a POS though.

Never ceases to amaze me how BIASED you are towards Lexus. Get a grip on life, it's not the end of the world you know.
Old 08-17-05 | 07:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Always bad mouthing other manufactures making your egos all think you have the best car ever built. :
Lexus vehicles in many ways ( not all ) are indeed the best vehicles ever built. That is not ego. That is a simple fact. Now...it WOULD be ego if the facts were not there to back that up...but they do. Period. End of THAT arguement.

Now...other manufacturers also share in " best " awards to some extent. Most car people today....myself included...... would agree that Porsche in general makes the best sports cars, Subaru makes the best inexpensive AWD systems, Hyundai and Kia give you the most for your money, Mercedes and Volvo make the best safety-mobiles, BMW (even some of the Bangle cars) makes the best driver-oriented steering systems and chassis, and Honda makes the best drivetrains from an efficiency and innovation standpoint and the slickest-shifting FWD manuals.

But for overall quality in all areas combined, it is hard to beat a Lexus.

Now...back to topic...a new Infiniti flagship.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-17-05 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-17-05 | 08:55 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Wow bringing old threads back to life. The Titan is the one I called a POS, not the G35. I had issues at the time wtih my dealer on getting the tranny fixed to which they finally did. I never called that car a POS though.

Never ceases to amaze me how BIASED you are towards Lexus. Get a grip on life, it's not the end of the world you know.
Russ,

Wow do I hear an echo? It's a plain fact that I am biased towards Lexus, you can't change that. You are biased towards Infiniti/Nissan...I respect that. No one said it's the end of the world as you're crying wolf to a Lexus enthusiast domain. Now who's trying too hard here? I'm doing my thing in this place called "CLUB LEXUS". If you don't like the bias here, you're welcome to move on and go elsewhere. So more about the Q45's step above idea and enough of your whining... "Oh you are so biased about Lexus!" That's all you can say and will ever say here...as that's the only weak basis of argument you got.

Back to the topic before this gets closed.

Last edited by flipside909; 08-17-05 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-17-05 | 09:09 AM
Variance
Driver

This is the President I had in mind:

Old 08-17-05 | 09:11 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Variance

Very Rolls Royce-like. Dare I say LS430 Ultra Luxury Package?
Old 08-17-05 | 09:14 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus = highest quality cars ever built.

There's no arguing that fact. Do some research. Sorry Nissan guy.

Oh yeah, a new Infiniti flagship!!!

Old 08-17-05 | 09:34 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Variance

Wow...very nice. What is it?

Quick Reply: Infiniti Considers Model Above the Q45 - Edmunds . . .