Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you find that the prices of say.... the ES and SC have dropped so much that.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-05, 10:59 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by workaholic
Yes i've noticed this.. and its unfortunate.
Its not unfortunate, look at it this way now we can conceive in making SCs track cars and if anything happens replacement price will be that much more bearable.

IM not into this whole prestige thing so I dont think of it as a bad thing.
Old 07-31-05, 12:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
I'm seeing so many SCs on 22" spinners and ugly, ghetto-fab single stage baby blue or green paint jobs on them from Earl Scheib. And they look worse than a VW riding on stock suspension...
well just be fair i see a fair share of ls400 and gs (either 1st of 2nd gen) with those
Old 07-31-05, 10:39 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The other day at a restaurant we parked next to a '92 ES that clearly had been bought second-hand. It was the spitting image of our old ES, but the color.

The car was in average/poor condition...spots in the paint on the roof, and tears in the leather seats. But it remains, proudly, a Lexus!
Old 07-31-05, 04:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Well, the LS isn't as small and sporty at the SC, or as efficient as the ES at gas and economy in general so I say ES and SC for this poll, but even the first gen GS guy's can take a whack at this thread.

The 92 ES is currently at about $3k and the 92 SC is currently at about $5k with the first gen GS about the same. The prices are getting so cheap it seems like everything is changing for our Lexus and their exclusiveness. We are continually seeing changes in the owner base moving to a younger crowd (which isn't always bad), or a crowd that normally wouldn't own a Lexus (draw your own conclusions).

Here's the question.......... Do you feel this is impacing us as Lexus owners negatively? Do you feel these persons are representing Lexus negatively by their actions or words in the way they present themselves? Even here in the forums, I see the cross of changes.

I must say......... I do. Discuss.
That is why us O.Gs gotta inform the newbs what is right and how to do things and LAYETH THE SMACKETH DOWN on those that want to ruin the way so many have worked hard for.

GREAT topic.

Our jobs are simple. Give peopel CLublexus cards. Mod OUR cars correctly and keep them running like a Lexus shoud. LEAD BY EXAMPLE. People will still do what they want but A LOT of people still don't know much about LExus let alone modding them.

One by one, we must preach and teach and spead the Lexus gospel. We must forgive those that do things they're way and accept them as well. I've seen BMWs with Altezzas, Benzs with weak rims, you name it. Its not just Lexus.

Old 07-31-05, 04:11 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

I've seen BMWs with Altezzas
Yeah, but you run the same board I do and you know what we do to them
Old 07-31-05, 04:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Yeah, but you run the same board I do and you know what we do to them

Old 08-01-05, 07:06 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

It's a fact of life. It has it's good sides, and it's bad sides.

Good side: I was able to buy, restore and build an SC to 400hp for less than a new base 350z ($27k).

Bad side: The financially optimistic will buy the car with every last cent they have and file chapter 11 when they need an oil change.

Yes, the demographic is changing. 10 years ago SC owners were VERY different from now. Now these same people are naturally in other newer cars. And people like me are in the SC.

I'm reminded of this every now and then by talking with former SC owners that now have Benzes and Bimmers. More than a handful of times have I heard the "WOW, I remember this car, I bought it brand new in 1992 and it was the best car I have ever owned. I miss it so much."

Shouldn't have sold it, Doctor! Now it's my turn to me to enjoy it on my terms. Thanks for keeping it so nice thru the depreciation so I could scoop it up mint for $5k.
Old 08-01-05, 07:12 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is really going to hurt me. I'm trying to sell my SC400 and everytime I look in the local papers I see SC's and LSs going for less and less. Now, my car is just a daily beater and not in tip top condition, so I'll either have to sell it dirt cheap (Lucky if I can get $6000), or I'll have to invetst money into a car I want to sell anyway.
Old 08-01-05, 11:00 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

As other people have said, its a fact of life. The advantage of Lexus being such a new company is that all of us have gotten to enjoy the golden age. Especially back in the 90's... there were no 12-13 year old models people could buy for 5,000. We had our exclusivity because of that. Now I see all sorts of people who'r the "non-stereotypical" buyer driving older 90-96 models.

Unforutanately i've seen a couple of recently acquired (i mean within the last couple of years) early ES's on that are so gaudy and painful to look at that I almost wish I had explosive diarrhea instead. But that just means we're coming to the same point the MB and BMW owners have been at for a while.
Old 08-02-05, 07:52 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

^^^ This is true.
Old 08-02-05, 09:43 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

I have only seen the poorly modded and riced Lexuses online. Around here there are pleanty of 16-19 year olds that take great care of their cars. I mean in the short amount of time I've had mine, I have been working on many projects like a 1jz swap and car PC... some may consider it rice to mod a lexus in that way, but most of us here do not as it is adding power and function to a great car while keeping it basically stock. I'm only 18, but I see it as an entry level car to get into the Lexus family. Now that all of my cars are paid off and I don't really want to use my SC as my daily driver, I will be purchasing a 99+ ES300 or a GS300. The quality I've experienced in my old SC is enough to convince me to buy Lexus for a LONG time. We all have to start somewhere
Old 08-02-05, 09:57 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I don't really see a problem with it. For the modded club, I also think they would much rather buy a Civic to mod than a Lex because it is cheaper.

As for the Lex cars with 22' spinners, its just me but I don't really see anything wrong. Then again, I grew up in the 'hood I think it looks better than one with a big cheap unpainted body kit or candy paint.
Old 08-03-05, 03:12 AM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

u gotta realize that a '92 is a 13 year old car... a 13 year old car deserves to be cheap, no matter what kind of car it is.
Old 08-03-05, 09:31 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is now the time when people can actually buy the car and do some impressive things to them. Like it was said before, the engine has much potential. The other problem is that after some people buy the car for $5k, they realize that it isn't that cheap to maintain and they let the car go to waste.

In time, the guys with 22" rims and gaudy mods will fall by the wayside. Their suspensions will go, alternators, PS and unable to afford the repair, soon they'll get rid of the car. Then you'll be left with people passionate about their cars, exactly what BMW and MB went through.
Old 08-04-05, 10:59 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
As other people have said, its a fact of life. The advantage of Lexus being such a new company is that all of us have gotten to enjoy the golden age. Especially back in the 90's... there were no 12-13 year old models people could buy for 5,000. We had our exclusivity because of that. Now I see all sorts of people who'r the "non-stereotypical" buyer driving older 90-96 models.

Unforutanately i've seen a couple of recently acquired (i mean within the last couple of years) early ES's on that are so gaudy and painful to look at that I almost wish I had explosive diarrhea instead. But that just means we're coming to the same point the MB and BMW owners have been at for a while.
Very well said.

This very topic is the reason I am now driving my SC400 as a daily driver and loving it. I would always be so disappointed if I left my 3000GT in the garage and took the Civic. I would run into a situation that would warrant the need for a better car...in other words a race or hot chick Then I started looking at the prices and why drive 1 of 10 trillion Civics when I could have a timeless car like the SC with the prestige of the Lexus name for the same money Now, I catch myself driving the Lexus on pretty days just as much as my VR-4. I hate to see the older category go downhill, but at the same time is the very reason I now have a beautiful SC. I have had so many people mistake it for a 2000+ model because of its condition, but also because of the beatiful and timeless design. I would never have considered this car if it were $9,000+ so for the market price going down....I am grateful. Of course, now that I am an owner.....THIS SUCKS!!!!