Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you find that the prices of say.... the ES and SC have dropped so much that.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-05, 04:34 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Do you find that the prices of say.... the ES and SC have dropped so much that.......

Well, the LS isn't as small and sporty at the SC, or as efficient as the ES at gas and economy in general so I say ES and SC for this poll, but even the first gen GS guy's can take a whack at this thread.

The 92 ES is currently at about $3k and the 92 SC is currently at about $5k with the first gen GS about the same. The prices are getting so cheap it seems like everything is changing for our Lexus and their exclusiveness. We are continually seeing changes in the owner base moving to a younger crowd (which isn't always bad), or a crowd that normally wouldn't own a Lexus (draw your own conclusions).

Here's the question.......... Do you feel this is impacing us as Lexus owners negatively? Do you feel these persons are representing Lexus negatively by their actions or words in the way they present themselves? Even here in the forums, I see the cross of changes.

I must say......... I do. Discuss.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 07-30-05 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-30-05, 04:41 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a fact of life. Mass produced cars get old and get cheap. Yes, it's bad because you'll see a lot more junk put on a nice car.

BUT, it's also good.. because now people can afford to MOD them nicely! Have you also noticed that there are a lot more SC owners lately with very NICE wheels on thri cars?

It goes both ways...

ES's are pretty much junk imo... they are just a glorified Camery. ES's have sold for 1-3k for several years now...
Old 07-30-05, 04:46 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I agree on the mod money. Now, if we can only agree on what mods
Old 07-30-05, 04:49 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has the price dropped too much? That's a tough question, especially when the idea of owning more than one SC pops into your mind

Honestly, I don't know if it's changed the demographic of the SC owners age, or if it's a function of the sleeper potential coming out of the closet... the 2JZ-GE is no slouch

I've noticed over at SF, MKIV Supras which were typically more of an exclusive car with older owners now are being purchased by younger individuals... this is in part due to a slight decline in the value of the car and also parents who are willing to shell out 20k+ for a car for their kid.

I think a bit of the american affluence is coming through on both fronts -- SC, ES & Supra owners. These cars appeal to younger owners because of the name, the potential, and the quality they deliver.

I think as older & more mature members of CL we need to constantly be on the lookout for things that hurt the lexus image, such as tasteless mods (lightning bug wiper nozzles) and educate our members.

I've somewhat come to terms with the fact that as I get older, everyone younger seems to get even younger ("that kid can't be old enough to drive!")

It's the education that will make the differance, IMHO.

JT
Old 07-30-05, 04:53 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I agree on the mod money. Now, if we can only agree on what mods
LED replacements for everything that shines within the car. easy as that, right?

as far as the topic at hand... i don't see this as a bad thing at all. if more people are buying lexi, then it's more of a chance more people will continue on with the brand down the road, keeping them in the family. now if lexus would offer more in the way of a manual transmission these days, they'd have more of a shot at keeping my own business in the future. however, for younger buyers looking for a good car, i really can't blame them for wanting an older used lexus over a used civic. as we discussed a bit ago, people do tend to see a lexus in a different light than honda.
Old 07-30-05, 04:57 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Yes i've noticed this.. and its unfortunate.
Old 07-30-05, 04:59 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by adidosc
LED replacements for everything that shines within the car. easy as that, right?

as far as the topic at hand... i don't see this as a bad thing at all. if more people are buying lexi, then it's more of a chance more people will continue on with the brand down the road, keeping them in the family. now if lexus would offer more in the way of a manual transmission these days, they'd have more of a shot at keeping my own business in the future. however, for younger buyers looking for a good car, i really can't blame them for wanting an older used lexus over a used civic. as we discussed a bit ago, people do tend to see a lexus in a different light than honda.
I think you can go "too far" with led's (yes, i said that ). Sticking them everywhere light is in the car depends on how you do it. I wouldn't do my entire interior in .... say .......blue. The white is a nice touch because it is just a better version of stock IMO. Blue needles are pretty though .

Yes I agree the "hand me downs" and overly giving parents contribute to the younger Lexus owners, but overall I suppose my gripe is the lack of knowledge, respect, and overall attitude of some of the newer owners. They don't HAVE to be young, we have plenty of younger persons on CL that are well educated and spoken. However, as it is said... one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch when it comes to perspective, so I suppose persons are to be weary of the more dominant traits that appear in the younger crowd as opposed to the select one's that are great guy's to both be around and to speak with here and elsewhere.
Old 07-30-05, 05:06 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

however, for younger buyers looking for a good car, i really can't blame them for wanting an older used lexus over a used civic. as we discussed a bit ago, people do tend to see a lexus in a different light than honda.

YES.. i totally agree with this... i'm just a poor college student and in need of a good car. with the small amount i have in hand. 97 ford contour, 96 Civic or a 93 ES300... what a no brianer.. the es300 has a timeless look to it..
Old 07-30-05, 06:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hahah yeah, these cars are getting really cheap. in fact i am looking at some 92 es300 just as a beater around town
Old 07-30-05, 06:27 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
hahah yeah, these cars are getting really cheap. in fact i am looking at some 92 es300 just as a beater around town
an ES300 AND a new mini van? someone is really planning to add to their fleet.
Old 07-30-05, 06:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

an ES300 AND a new mini van? someone is really planning to add to their fleet.
haha the minivan "project" is scrapped for now. but don't worry, it is STILL in mind

that's why we wanna replace the minivan project with a super beater for now
Old 07-30-05, 08:41 PM
Fiya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya the average buyer is younger, I bought my first SC at 19 and my current SC at 20. I also have friends in the same age group with new lexuses (lexi). Maybe we should have a poll. What price range did you buy your lexus for?
Old 07-30-05, 08:51 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my lexus was the first car i ever bought i spent a chunk of change on the car(a little more than a fully loaded camry) but you know what? Yesterday i took a friend the the dodge dealership because he was buying the SRT4 and i like my car and its styling is classier than all the cars on that lot. I was parked next to a brand new car and my 9yr old es's pant job still looked better.

Yeah ive recommended the es and IS to friends buying cars. but for the mod market(ricer if you wanna call it that) its soooo much easier and cheaper to mod a civic than any lexus no matter the age. I guess im lucky in Colorado Ive seen some trashed camry's but not to many lexus that are destroyed from bad modding or weather.

The younger crowd will go for the cheap car when the budget is the concern.....i just dont see to many ricers buying lexus.

so all in all. Yeah younger people will by a lexus because they are in the 5-15k range for a good condition one. But i still think the price and the myth of how expensive a used lexus is that really weeds out many kids buying them these days.
Old 07-30-05, 09:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by acidrool
Ya the average buyer is younger, I bought my first SC at 19 and my current SC at 20. I also have friends in the same age group with new lexuses (lexi). Maybe we should have a poll. What price range did you buy your lexus for?
actually you see the same for the 2gs as well. right now people can spend low to mid 10k and they can get a decent high mileage gs3 or gs4 already, so to me i definitely see the avg age of gs owner dropping. i think that's always teh case for everything
Old 07-30-05, 10:24 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm seeing so many SCs on 22" spinners and ugly, ghetto-fab single stage baby blue or green paint jobs on them from Earl Scheib. And they look worse than a VW riding on stock suspension...

Quick Reply: Do you find that the prices of say.... the ES and SC have dropped so much that.......